Torquay over, next stop Weston......

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hann, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Hann

Hann New Member

:D Well after the weekend shennanigans have died down and we all settle back into our normal routines we find ourselves asking..."What the eck should we play for Weston-super-Mud!?" Chalford seems to be having a dilemma this year in finding a nice piece (preferably with no hard sop bits - ta muchly!) to play in the first section. Having played Tallis , Purcell Variations and Trittico in previous years we want to find a "new exciting piece" (our conductor's words) to play.......any suggestions?
    Hard solo cornet bits welcomed - i can annoy my dad then ;)
    Han

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Weston
    Torquay
    Chalford
    stop Weston
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Frontier! by Michael Ball
    Endeavour or London Overture by Philip Sparke

4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Some one has suggested Tallis to our conductor for the 3rd section. I don`t know it is it hard/nice?

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Very nice, but hard for the 3rd section! :eek: One of the few pieces to have a quiet ending. Based on the same Thomas Tallis theme as the Vaughan Williams fantasia (if you're a Classic FM listener, you'll have heard it!)

6. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

Sorry but i'm alergic to hard solo cornet parts and poor Andy!! you should be kind to your Dad! i think stupidly high soprano parts would be far better!;) any suggestions?

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Blimey, was this person due to be playing against you? ;)

Lovely piece of music, but also a decent 1st section level piece.

8. no2taz

no2taz Member

newbridger have played a few good pieces in weston over the years...

CHampionship first section... Escence of time Peter Graham, Dances & alleluias Phillip Sparke ( Hard cornet solo), Prisms Peter Graham,...

All good own choice pieces

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I shall echo that... especially last year, what a performance. I didn't hear you in Swansea but it doesn't suprise me that you won by a significant margin.

Well done.

10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Fantasy for Brass Band
    Ballet for Band
    Connotations

11. no2taz

no2taz Member

Thank you for your comment I think it was Dances and Alleluias Last year big cornet solo to end

We always enjoy weston , Great Day out friendly competition and a well supported event.

Not to mention the "online" cover provided by TMP...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Weston
    Torquay
    Chalford
    stop Weston
  13. Hann

Hann New Member

See - someone listens ;) might suggest that and see what reaction I get!
    Mesmerist - Tallis is a lovely piece of music and if you get to play it enjoy it - just not in 3rd section contest! It was considered a championship piece a few years if I remember rightly (correct me if wrong!) and still is by some - if you wanna listen there's a great recording of YBS playing it somewhere......:wink:.

14. TheMusicMan

Cheers, and we'll be sure to be there this year with equally good coverage too!

Podcasts as well... :)

15. no2taz

no2taz Member

did the podcast from last year ever go up on the site after

16. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Tallis was the set test piece at the Europeans in 2000.

17. no2taz

no2taz Member

I can prety much tell you what the reaction will be its a big blow followed by a bigger solo on the last page of the piece. As this is a family site i will PM you my forst thoughts LOL ..

But on a performing note it is a very satisfying piece to play.

18. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

I've been looking into this a bit as well and already found some of the pieces mentioned but just wondering what peoples opinions on Forest of Dean is as a test piece. I've never played it obviously, but i've got a recording of Sun Life playing it, and just wondering what its like to play

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  19. TheMusicMan

Aye... it went onto iTunes too!:biggrin:

20. no2taz

no2taz Member

can you tell me how i find it on here i'm having a thick moment i think

Thanks

21. Hann

Hann New Member

What about Quintessence (R. Redhead) and Dances and Arias (Gregson) that's two suggestions just thrown at me by Dad - neither of us have heard the pieces so wanna know what they're like!

22. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

London overture is a nice piece we played it in the 2nd section 2 years ago and won by two points.
    We played variations on a 9th last year in the 2nd section again winning by two points.

Chris