Toronto, Canada

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ruthatron, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

Anyone been to Toronto? I'm going there end of March, and was wondering if there's anywhere I should check out! The only confirmed outing is to Niagra Falls.

2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

CN Tower is a must - food isn't bad in the restaurant at the top either.
    Plenty of great bars (Indian Motorcycle was near our office) - also, one of the best CD shops around - I think it was called Sam's and is in the main shopping area, not far from the Hard Rock.
    Can't remember if March is hockey season but try and catch a match too.
    And if it's too cold or wet, you can get around the city centre undergound.

Enjoy the trip!

3. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Well March is definitely hockey season, but it's near playoff time, so hard tickets are even harder to find. So not much of a chance there, but if you're interested in hockey, there's always the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Musuem wise there's the Royal Ontario Musuem (ROM) which is pretty good, and the Ontario Science Centre, which is also quite entertaining. Shopping wise there's the Eaton Centre downtown, and other than that just enjoy yourself.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yup, my wifes sister lives there presently and we have visited several times. Definately as has been said, the CN tower is an interesting visit as are the Niagara Falls which are a few hours drive away but well worth it.

I'm sure you'll love it.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Using online facilities to discover what to do in Toronto are quite well established and many sites like this one will give you many ideas! Hope you enjoy the trip!

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

I love Toronto!

My sister lives there and I've visited a couple of times. I'll be back again in June I think.

Have a read of my exploits here: http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/archives/toronto/

Take a trip to the Islands in the Lake. Quite nice out there but it's gonna be cold in March. Niagra is still going to be a bit icy so the boat ride will most probably be out but it's still majorly impressive. I'm thinking of getting the train up to Montreal next time I go, maybe think about that? How long are you staying for?

Got a couple of Gallaries too:
    http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=12
    http://www.davidrutt.me.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=8

Enjoy!

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We went to Toronto with YABB in August last year and did a concert with Weston Silver Band, a great bunch of guys, check them out they may be doing a concert or something!

Its a lovely city to walk about in, chill out and do abit of shopping and as everybody says go to Hard Rock Cafe, CN Tower and Niagera Falls!

8. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

My Uncle lives there. He moved there about 30 years ago but he's still got a proper broad Geordie accent!

I went when I was a baby though so I can't remember a thing about it! Would love to go back when I stop being poor.

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

A couple of attractions in Toronto, not mentioned so far, are Toronto Island and Casa Loma. You can also look into a tour of the Skydome (now the Rogers Centre).

If you have the opportunity to get out of the city, other than the oft mentioned Niagara Falls, you should check out: Niagara Parkway (scenic drive alongside the Niagara river between Fort Erie and Niagara Falls); Niagara on the Lake (pretty little town; Fort; Shaw Festival among others); Stratford (Theatres); St. Jacobs (Mennonite country; Farmer's market; but check dates and times). Further afield, Ottawa, Kingston and Montreal are worth looking into if you have the time.

At that time of year, many other sights and attractions will still be closed (Niagara River Jet Boat; Maid of the Mist; St. Lawrence Seaway Locks near St. Catharines) but there will still be lots to see and do.

Hope you have a great visit.

10. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

i'm there for 5 nights. it's a college trip (from an art college) so i'll fit in visiting some galleries and things somewhere! i'm expecting it to be cold, i was in new york at the same time last year, and it hardly got above freezing the whole time i was there!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Toronto
    Canada
    Niagra Falls
    outing
    March
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

That's not exactly cold ;) . So far we've had a relatively mild winter, although it's been snowing today. Maybe we're saving it all up for March :( :(

13. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

it's cold compared to what i'm used to in england! hope it doesn't snow too much while i'm there. i don't think i'd cope too well with lots of snow. would make for some amazing photography though!

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Toronto is a quality night out too from what I remember and the CN tower is definitely best done on a day when you aren't hungover.

Shoping in Toronto could be expensive too if you get carried away although the strip of pound shops is pretty good fun.

Niagra is great, myself and BbBill did a helicopter ride over it which is pretty amazing but the area around the American falls is all a bit touristy for my liking.

There is an amazing jet boat ride that takes you through the whirlpools which, despite not being as good as I hoped (as a bit of an adrenaline freak) was still pretty good and most people had the time of their life. This is not at the falls but just outside. http://www.whirlpooljet.com/

The maid of the mist ride is well thought of too, its a slow boat ride up to the bottom of the American falls and through the spray at the bottom. Its a pretty spectacular sight so I was told. http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/maidmist.php

One thing to watch for is Toronto's red light district, we stayed smack bang in the middle of it and I would imagine some people would be scared stiff of some of the sights and there are some pretty unsavoury characters too.

15. rutty

rutty Active Member

You could go ice-skating outside City Hall:

[​IMG]

It got down to -33 when I was there winter before last though my sister hasn't reported any similar temperatures this year. Yet ;)

16. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

that ice-skating looks good! i might have to do that, see how it compares to the rockfellar centre