Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I liked it.

Others views?
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

looked good...

not "before the watershed" material though - a good source of nightmares!

(could Brainiac manage "rat jam like that? )
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Not impressed.
    Plotlines taken from other sources (which did them better).
    Too much "we are in Cardiff, look, here's Cardiff"
    Gadgets that would look cheesy in James Bond or M.I.B.
    Music that was all intrusive.
    Use of the F word does NOT make a programme "adult" - it takes more than gratuitous swearing to make a programme suitable for adults.

Seriously unimpressive, it couldn't live up to the hype if it tried, but it didn't even feel like they were trying.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to wait until later in the week, once it appears on the old-fashioned "wind-up" telly :mad:
  5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

The name is an anagram of 'Doctor Who' strangely enough!!
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I liked it a lot. But I think the close link to the Dr Who stable is going to cause lots of controversy.
    Dr Who has always been 'Family' entertainment. Last night when I watched it was about an alien entity which fed off orgasmic energy. There were scenes of sex in toilets, masturbation and lesbian snogs - not the sort of thing you can watch with your primary school aged son/daughter. However there is no doubt that these kids will want to watch it - the Doctor Who 'tag' will make it must see for them.
    Apart from this though I think it has got great potential.
  7. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I liked it... but mainly because I think John Barrowman is GORGEOUS and also, I went to college with Eve Myles (who played Gwen).
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'll resist the temptation to call it cr*p just yet. Let's just say it failed to live up to expectations - gratuitous sex scenes aside.
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Didn't she also play a housemaid in the Dr Who episode with Charles Darwin set in a funeral parlour (also in Cardiff)? Poor girl can't seem to get away from there then.

I liked it a lot even if it was complete pap, but who want's thought provoking telly on a Sunday night after a band rehearsal and a few pints? Some obvious references to other films etc - Silence of the Lambs springs to mind and that film where the alien has to keep having sex with people to grow (cant remember the name of that one).

Also what was the hand in a jar connection? Was that the apendage that was cut off in the first episode with David Tennant as the Dr?

Looking forward to future episodes.
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I didn't watch it, but after all the complaints about the gratuatous sex scenes... I'm Gonna!!!! :biggrin:
  11. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I liked it personally. Not quite as substantial as I was expecting from all the hype, but it was good quality sci-fi for grown ups I thought. It raised plenty of those little questions that make you have to keep watching until the next week, clever that...
  12. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

I'd just like to ask.... does it portray the real Cardiff Life?
  13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Well I liked it. Makes a change from the cheesey "made for kids" SciFi ( such as Andromeda, Star Trek, etc) and falls more into the "Adult" SciFi ( Ala Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica ) though it's not quite as good as the last two yet, ( especially BG which I really didn't want to like but I was hooked from the first episode!).

Not been impressed with Dr Who though. BIG dissapointment, all the stories are "earth / human based" with OTT emotional and comic content ( just give us good plots and the good old cliff-hanger!). (sorry straying off topic)
  14. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Well we didn't get to see much of the day-to-day life, but as a setting (nightlife etc) it was pretty accurate compared to the 3 years I spent there! To disagree with trumpetmike, I quite liked the way they made it obvious that it was set there, as opposed to just using it as a location that could have been anywhere. A few classic quotes about the city thrown in for good measure too - my favourite had to be "I'd love to see CSI Cardiff...they'd be measuring the velocity of a kebab."
  15. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Charles Dickens. But yes that was her.

I enjoyed it.
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Dickens / Darwin? - that's evolution for you.
  17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I enjoyed it, not thought provoking at all, but as has been said before who needs that on a sunday night before work!.
    Bring on next sunday!
  18. mad_female

mad_female Member

Love it, but then I like most sci-fi
  19. I was enjoying the first episode until the last 5 minutes until Russell T Davies pulled out a deus ex machina that made my skin crawl. (I won't reveal it here for those people who have yet to see the episode on BBC2).

I love sci-fi but there is only so far you can suspend disbelief - it will be interesting to see how many times this plot device will be the resolution to an episode (it has already been used as part of the resolution to episode 2).

I think this particular plot device may alienate the casual viewer - and it British sci-fi is to hold it's own against American products like Battlestar Galactica and Lost then we need to catch and hold the casual viewer without them having to ask WTF is going on.
  20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I read an interesting article titled 'Frasier or Joey'.

It delved into an account of many different spin off shows and how they got on. The two main ones being Frasier, spun off from Cheers and a phenomenal success. And obviously Joey, spun off from Friends and a complete flop which was cancelled after 2 series.

I did not find Torchwood entertaining at all, definatley a Joey up until this point for me and should be relegated to the league of K9 and Friends, another notoriously bad Doctor Who spin off