Top Three Arrangements.......

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sandy Smith, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

I don't know if this has been done before.

Top Three arrangements for brass band

1. Suite no.2 "Daphnis and Chloe" - Ravel arr. Howard Snell

A masterpiece of refined,subtle scoring by the god of brass band arranging which extended the colour palette of the band into new areas.
    Still the ultimate arrangement ...ever.

2. Pictures at an Exibition - Mussorgsky arr. Elgar Howarth

A landmark in both the brass band and brass ensemble versions.

3. MacArthur Park - Jim Webb arr. Alan Catherall

The ultimate light music arrangement.
    Every instrument scored for in its optimum range and an absolute joy to play !

ROBTHEDOG Member

Holst Planets - Stephen Roberts !!
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

1. Pines of Rome - Resphigi / Howard Snell amazing in the orginal , brilliant scoring for just brass , villa borgese and the catacombs jaw dropping how it is all put in..
    2. Firebird Stravinsky / Ray Farr - complex score , sounds really good and authentic in the brass band version ( prefer the use of trombone for the solo in the Berceause instead of basson in te original ).
    3. Variations and fugue on a theme of Handel Brahms / Arthur Butterworth amazing transcription 21 mins of magic
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

1. Tristan and Isolde - Wagner/Alex Owen. If the story in the CD is true and he only had a piano score to work with, it's incredible.

2. My favourite listen at the moment - Entry of the Gods Into Valhalla - Wagner/Howard Snell.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen/Darrol Barry. It shouldn't work, but it does, and for me it's the only Queen arrangement I've heard up to now worth playing.
  5. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

Having heard "Fire" which i believe you arranged in a week for Grimey couple of years ago, i hold you in high esteem in the world of arragning Sandy.

Some of the pieces that i heard from you whilst my old man was at Grimey were fntastic -- Mambo Caliante -- Valero -- Mask Of Zorro -- Barbarian Horde (both versions) -- Another Fine Mess -- and so many more (too many to "Lizst-eria" !!! lol)...

I'm sure that without your skillfull arrangements, not to mention to awesome playing, Grimethorpe would not have been the force that they WERE on the concert stage for so long....

You just seem to have the knack of getting it so right; the Rat Pack stuff is so well done...

Surely your name should be somewhere in amongst the "top" arrangers...

How you doing anyhow Sandy?

6. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I agree on this one for the most part; Mars is unbeatable, far more atmospheric and effective than even the original, but Jupiter just doesn't do it for me. I don't think the brass band has the range of timbres needed for it. That said, Neptune sends shivers down my spine, wonderful music!

Again, I agree, this is a fabulous arrangement of one of my favourite musical works. I just can't believe he didn't use the orchestral bass bone part in the final rejoicing! It just gives the bass line that bit of edge, and it's a big let down without it.

And just to be contraversial, I still love the old (Rimmer?) arrangement/transcription of Les Preludes!
  7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If this is the one Grimmey alway use.....My most favourite piece ever.

Also: Snells arr Procession to the minster

Alan Catherall's arr Oklahoma
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just a pity that Howard got a lot of transposition wrong and it's littered with howling wrong notes, or at least the BBS recording is. Even great arrangers can make very simple schoolboy errors!

ROBTHEDOG Member

A few more:

One hat will be played at my funeral....

Allerseelen - Richard Strauss - Arr Stephen Roberts manuscript - which reminds me I must ring him to see if it's available ? This is sublime haunting Struass song.. He arranged it Fine Arts then expanded band for Brian Bunting's funeral and was used by Jones & Cossland..

I agree about Ray Farr - brought so much in the days of Granada..

Borgeous did some great arrangments

Gordon Langford did many great arrangements incl' Faure Pavanne - Rusalka's Song to the moon etc...

Elgar Howarth - Pictures.. Amazing - It's also been arranged for Solo Piano <!>

Howard Snell - SO MUCH ---- He actually did ALL of the Pines not just "I pini della Via Appia" that we've all played... Also I think he did the Fountains..

Polovetzian Dances from Prince Igor I played that with Desford in London once and it was amazing..

Not to mention all his lighter melodic stuff - The cornet section arrangement of Bach Air on G string...

Be interesting to get views on ORIGINAL Brass works ...Being relatively new to the forum.. I'll check that we are not revisiting old topics.. If not be interesting to get a TOP 10...
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member was written as a solo piano piece, and orchestrated by others. The most famous is by Ravel.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Yes I know !! hence the <!>
  12. breakfastgirl

breakfastgirl New Member

Happy Birthday Sandy....45 Years Old Today Xxx
  13. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

1) Fantasy on British Sea Songs - Gordon Langford....near as dammit perfect

2) When the Saints Go Marching In - Goff Richards... it has everything, without being impossible to play.

3) My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose - Gordon Langford... such great use of the melodic material, an example to us all.

I could add Goff's "Disney Fantasy", "Sweet Georgia Brown", "Light as Air", or Gordon's "All Through the Night", "Blaydon Races" and the sublime "Scarborough Fair", but I have to make special mention of "She Moved Through the Fair", which I think Sandy transcribed from a superb Daryl Runswick arrangement for the Kings Singers. This "unarrangeable" song comes to life in this wonderful version, and the brass band scoring is nothing short of brilliant. Happy Birthday, Sandy.
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

The following are all from the S.A. but are my favourite arrangements of classical music:

Themes from Symphony No.5 (Schubert, arr. Brian Bowen)
    Themes from the Italian Symphony (Mendelssohn, arr. Dean Goffin)
    Kaleidoscope (Music of Rimsky-Korsakov, arr. Brian Bowen)

Treasures from Tchaikovsky (arr. Bramwell Coles)
    Grieg Piano Concerto (arr. Michael Kenyon)
  15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Ah. I read it is a "How on earth do you play it on a piano <!>" ;)

(which is exactly what I first thought when I bought the piano version.....and still do think it every time I look at the piano version :D )

Not sure if I've got 3 favourites - they change all the time.

I really liked playing the arrangement of Brahm's "Variations on a Theme by Haydn" in the late 80s....I'm a lover of selections as well, but I don't know if they count (Rossini's Works by Alexander Owen probably tops that list)...

Don't know really :hammer
  16. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

who did procession to the minister?
    its genius anyway :]
  17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Howard Snell
  18. zak

zak Member

Sandy, if it's your birthday today then many happy returns mi old mucka!!!

Ps... I thought you had hit 50 already!!!! Suppose it must be the stress of the recent banding taking its toll on your Peter Pan looks :biggrin:
  19. breakfastgirl

breakfastgirl New Member

Sorry Bro...Just worked it out ...after chatting to Alison.. You are actually 46 !!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  20. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Yeah Howard Snell mate (read the top-right of your part! :p)

Happy Birthday Sandy, I hoped you liked the Honkers rendition of the tune for you, it's even more hilarious than when we do it in senior band!