Top that

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Jun 26, 2005.

would you wear headwear?

1. no chance!!

35 vote(s)
  2. yes but something else

4 vote(s)
  3. peaked cap?

13 vote(s)
  4. cloth cap?

2 vote(s)
  5. french beret?

2 vote(s)
  6. dutch cap?

4 vote(s)
  7. something a little more military like a bearskin, shako etc?

2 vote(s)
  8. cloth cap a la andy cap

1 vote(s)
  9. shower cap

3 vote(s)
  1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Would you wear any sort of hat on the march?
    after seein Dobcross at easingwold lastnight, it struck us how smart they looked, and started a debate oin weather more bands should be doing this prsonaly i think it finishes off a uniform.wether this is due to my time in the TA i dont know, it looks smart.
    so first of all would you wear some sort of hat and if so what would you wear, or would it e a great big fat no!
    over to you!
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd be willing to wear hats if it was suggested at band.... it's all part of presentation and it does look smart... it would definatly give the finishing touch to a uniform.

Think more bands should try and work on presentation.... even if it's just using the "right" kinda jackets then that's enough I guess if they didn't like the hat idea... B+R for example look real smart with their marching jackets...
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No. Last time I had to wear a hat while marching it blew off.
  4. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

I've never had to but I imagine it would be uncomfortable... think how much trouble we have finding jackets that fit, let alone hats as well? On the other hand I would wear one if required, and might even get to like hiding behind it ;)
    umm... unsure.
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hats...hmmmm...I suppose if you went for the dutch cap you could feel well dressed without anyone knowing...and it would have to be a hell of a wind to blow it off!!

6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The marching band I play in wear Glengarries, looks really smart with the rest of the uniform, but leaves a dreadful sun line along the forehead if its a hot day :-?
  7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Hey, they may look smart but beleive me they're uncomfortable...

I used to play for Dobx...
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Personally, I think they are a little old fashioned, but there's no doubting that they do look smart!

Photo Courtesy of Crewe Co-op Band

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I can just see you marching infront of the band wearing that rog, well smart!:tup
  10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I can imagine it too. Might get crumbs from his muffin stuck in his feather though. That man knows how to eat choc chips!!! ;) Great technique!:clap:
  11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member and hats...not a good combo!

Rach x
  12. Ali

Ali Member

People give us a lot of stick for the caps that we wear but A) they do look smart, B) they have won us a good couple of hundred quid for deportment over the last 3 years on Whit Fridays and C) it carries on a tradition that Dobcross have been doing for 130 years. Banders generally think that things like our caps are low on street cred but whats more important? How cool you look or making sure that you look as professional as possible and win some much need cash in the process? Mmmmm, let me think! The other good thing about them is that when people see us marching down the street, they know its Dobcross because we are one of the only bands left to wear hats. Its like the jackets that B&R wear. People identify them straight away and thats no bad thing!
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

As you can see in some of these pictures (link), we wear hats for marching, although only for the male members of the band. I don't know hoe you call this type of hats in English. It's the same type as the police used to have over here... (now they have some sort of baseball caps :sup)
    Actually, nobody likes to wear these hats, because they are hot and uneasy. After wearing them for some time, you get a nice red line on your forehead :frown:
  14. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

last time mine ended up on morecambe beach :eek:
  15. I think hats are definitely a good idea on a march. In the SA we always have to wear them and they are smart, they also keep your head warm and stop you hair flying about all over the place!
    Don't think I've ever seen any other brass bands wearing hats.
  16. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Indeed yes in most SA bands, the men wear the flat-top hats that you see from this link, but I believe that stems from when SA bands first did marches, partly to protect the heads of bandsmen from people throwing things at them!
  17. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Sorry Heather, I disagree!

I think the ladies hats are like the Homepride flour graders and as Songster leader I have stopped the ladies wearing them.

I must also admit I hate wearing the (antiquated and very expensive) cap although I don't get any choice in the band when we are outside.
  18. Ali

Ali Member

Have a look at and go down to the bottom of the page. There are a couple of pictures of Dobx in action so you can make up you own minds. Personally I think that the caps do look smart (no bias here). Actually Stocksbridge used to look really smart because they used to wear caps and GLOVES as well!!!
  19. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Fair point, but would you prefer to wear a baseball cap bearing the army insignia whilst on the march? Would suit the uniform! So do you think we shouldn't wear hats at all then?
  20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Your hats do look very similar to the type of hats that most bands here in Belgium (and Holland) have for marching. (by bands I mean wind and fanfare bands, I don't know any brass band over here that marches)