Top Ten . . . worst pieces for band!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mike Saville, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

We've all played them (and I'm a master at moaning about them), they're cheesy, annoying and we have to play them all summer long, they are the "Top Ten Worst Pieces For Band"

(Now you've got to imagine 'At the sign of the swinging cymbals' playing in the background and the voice of 'Alan Fluff Freeman reading this out'

My nominations are:
    1.Spread A Little Happiness (except to the band that's playing it)
    2. Sussex By The Sea - worst march ever written
    3. Mama mia - dreadful Abba thingy
    4. You'll never walk alone - it goes on & on & on
    5. Perfect Day (yeah right!)
    6. Miller Magic (or should that be Tragic!)
    7. Love Changes Everything - that Lloyd Weber thing
    8. Memory - another Lloyd Weber thing
    9. Jingle Bells - arr Broadbent
    10. Taproom Ballade - Trom Solo by Gilbert Vinter

What we could do if enough people post thier selection is to complie a tMP Top Ten!!
  2. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well I haven't got 10 but I can certainly vote for a few -

Floral Dance - surely it's a bit cheesy!
    All I ask of you - another Andrew Lloyd Webber piece of pants.
    Love Changes Everything - opps, I've nothing against Andrew Lloyd Webber - honestly
  3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Hootennanny and Instant Concert.
    Nuff said!
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

oklahoma, the sound of music and any other of the old musical selections
  5. Dan

Dan Member

The worst that I can remember (in no particular order - they are all bad!)........

Anchors Aweigh, The Smurf Song, Men of Harlech, All through the Night

How dull!
  6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

awww I quite like that one! :lol:

another piece I don't like is:

I will always love you
  7. jinx

jinx Member

young amadeus
    chorale and rockout

the list just goes on!
  8. bigcol

bigcol Member

Anything arr. Bernarts.
  9. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

dear all,

me and our ada couldn't believe that hootnanny and instant concert, never mind chorale and rockout, were on the list for the worst pieces for band. we find them endearing, stimulating and most importantly......entertaining!!!. now, i don't like that march slav, it's much too long. and loud.

uncle eric
  10. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

hear hear - Hootenanny rules! ;)
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think any piece that is played to death within your band can become a bit of a bugbear. At the risk of being shot down in flames, I don't think Hootenanny is such a bad piece, but when it has been played over and over, and no-one takes it seriously any more (if you know what I mean) then it will not be very popular. We used to feel the same way about Bandology and Padstow Lifeboat when they were all the rage, but when you hear them now they are not too bad.

I feel much the same at the moment about Pomp & Circ No 1 and Thunder & Lightning Polka, as well as the Tchaikovsky Trepak, as we've done them for so many Last Night of the Proms lately, but I wouldn't class them as bad music per se.
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

You are of course right Peter, but still they drive you round the bend when you have to play them every week!

Perhaps "worst" should be replaced with "most annoying"
  13. groovy

groovy Active Member

I like that one!

Anyway, worst....
    I think Hootenanny has to be most annoying at least.
  14. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Thats cos they're all the same. Like the old Stock - Aitken and Warterman stuff. standard formula with a different melody over the top
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Young Amadeus, Keep smiling through and Padstow Lifeboat. We played a really awful version of Pearlfisher's recently (I think it was by someone called Greenwood) where all the tunes were in the wrong parts and it ruined a nice piece.
  16. jonford

jonford Member

Another Andrew Lloyd Webber one, Close every door to me, I was ready to slit mi wrists last rehersal! so depressing!! But I dont mind some of his others like Think of me.

I quite like chorale and Rockout although its cheesy its good for youth band.

Others that I dont like and should never of been arranged for band are :

Fame, The Final Countdown, Memory etc
  17. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Righto then, it's surprisingly difficult to pick out 10 worst when there are just sooooo many to choose from!!!!

In no particular order::

1.My Love is Like a Red Red Rose (not your version James. haven't heard that one yet)

2. Padstow Lifeboat (starts off going nowhere and doesn't even end up there!!!)

3. Dances with Wolves (good cure for insomnia I find)

4. Hootenanny (never found a band yet that actually reads the music, they play what they know!!!)

5. Young Amadeus (Far far far far longer than it needs to be. Also interminably dull)

6. Mood indigo

7. Bohemian Rhapsody (should never EVER have been arranged for brass band)

8. Pictures from an Exhibition (had to play this once.....never again by choice!!)

9. Sound of Music selection (nothing really needs to be said)

10. James bond theme thingy

I (and I'm sure some other members of Wem Jubilee Band) would be very grateful if a certain Mr. R. Thorne would take note of the above list and BURN the offending pieces at the earliest opportunity.

18. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'm sure we had this discussion in the WJB guest book, but I'll say it again. Whats wrong with Dances with Wolves?
  19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Unfortunately I can't swear on this forum or it would get moderated but suffice it to say that Dances with Wolves is one of the worst pieces ever written (not just for brass band). It starts off dull, gets duller in the middle and then goes back to yet another dull bit before getting to the best bit of the whole piece......THE END. It should be UNceremonially burned and erased from every music directory, every cd etc.etc.etc.

As you can see, I don't like it very much, but then that goes for the other pieces on my worst list too!!!!

Much Purringness
  20. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

doh! sorry kari, i like it too!

(knew the agreement woudn't last long!)

are you actually a bass tombone player? how can you not like pictures!!!!!