Top Ten Comedians

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brian Bowen, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Channel 4 has produced a list of top 50 comedians of all time, as voted by fellow comics (surely mostly British) The top 10 produces a number of surprises to me: I'd not even heard of Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]1. Peter Cook
    2. John Cleese
    3. Woody Allen
    4. Eric Morecambe
    5. Groucho Marx
    6. Tommy Cooper
    7. Laurel and Hardy
    8. Billy Connolly
    9. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer
    10. Richard Pryor
    11. Chris Morris
    12. Tony Hancock
    13. Bill Hicks
    14. Peter Sellers
    15. Steve Martin
    16. Ronnie Barker
    17. Steve Coogan
    18. Charlie Chaplin
    19. Eddie Izzard
    20. Paul Merton

[/font]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Us Brits would have :)
    Good list... thanks for sharing it

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Indeed! I started watching it last night, but fell asleep around the Reeves & Mortimer mark! Personally I would have Richard Pryor and Billy Connolly much higher in the list.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I watched that programme with a fair amount of disbelief.

Vic Reeves in the top 10?
    I'm sorry, but no.
    Funny - possibly, in the top 10 comedians EVER - no way.

This is the same style of poll that when they ask who is the greatest composer EVER, comes up with John Lennon in the top 10.

All polls like this should be taken with a huge amount of salt, not just a pinch, but a vat.

5. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

Wot! No Les Dawson!?

Ok, maybe not the wittiest, but he certainly made up for that with his facial expressions. I can't see anything funny in Charlie Chaplin. I think he's about as funny as a dose of scurvey.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

JIM DAVIDSON the best one for me seen him live a few years ago just pure great entertainment.

A word of warning if you are not broad minded then do not go

7. louise0502

louise0502 Member

I would have put Ronnie Barker much higher, along with Paul Merton and also (possibly) Jimmy Carr, who presented the program, though he hasn't been around for as long as the others, he had me in stitches in the big fat quiz of the year.

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

As I don't know much about many of the British Comedians on the list, is Richard Pryor the only one who was truly famous for his stand up comedy?

Many of the others: John Cleese, Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Bros, Steve Martin, etc... are very funny in sketches, but I might argue it is more difficult to be funny as a tand-up comedian.

Feel free to opine.

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

until this year i would have had billy connolly in the top 10 until his comment about Kenneth Bigley...now i wouldn't pee on him if he was on fire.

Eddie Izzard only 19th??? No..he's definitely top 10 material.

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I never really rated Peter Cook and certainly wouldn't have placed him first, though maybe in the top 10. Ronnie Barker, Eric Morecambe with Ernie wise and definitely Eric Sykes would have been in my Top list.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Channel 4
    British
    Peter Cook 2
    John Cleese 3
    Woody Allen 4
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Richard Prior...only number 10.... :shock:

He's one of the funniest men i've ever heard!

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The list was made of votes by people in the comedy industry. I think certain people are at certain places in the list because they influenced generations of comedians or what they did was innovative.

Reeves & Morimer may not be everyone's cup of tea but what they did was new to television and opened the door for others to follow, much the same as Monty Python did in the sixties (not that I'm putting Vic & Bob on a par with them!)

14. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I think Ronnie Barker is one of the funniest men ever, was real surprised when he wasnt in the top ten!! Some of the old clips they had on, had me in stitches, John Cleese and Eric Morecambe etc are hilarious to look at, even if they dont do anything or just the simplest thing its really funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Les Dawson was around number 35 if I remember correctly. That suprised me, along with a few others. (I was going to post up the whole top 50 but C4's website seems to have removed it :-? )

Although the poll was from people within the industry, I was suprised at Peter Cook winning outright...and I would've put Tommy Cooper higher too.

I enjoyed the program, but I thought it was a little Harsh on Ernie Wise when the narrator said that "Laurel and Hardy are the top double act in the list" correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure Eric Morecambe was also part of a double act. He was brilliantly funny, sadly missed, and one of my favourite comics, but the program seemed to ignore "little Ern's" contribution to the partnership. OK he was a pure straight man, but alot of Eric Morcambe's comedy needed the straight man to work.

16. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

No Tom Lehrer?!

17. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Lee Evans?!

18. andyp

andyp Active Member

I found the whole thing a bit ridiculous, bit like those "greatest song ever" polls where westlife get in the top 10 even though they didn't write the song, just cos they're modern.

Biggest travesty was Spike Milligan, number 23, and Peter Sellers 14?!?!?!? I don't think so, Milligan top 5 at least. Sellers was an excellent comic actor, but not above Spike!.
    Would have put most of the other Pythons higher than they were, also Ronnie Barker, at the expense of Vic+Bob and any others that recent.

2 best clips, Paul Merton's Weight Watchers "No luck then?" and Morecambe and Wise's "Andrew Preview".

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Many of those named are really more comic actors than comedians: nothing against that, but it isn't necessarily a fair comparison when trying to judge one against the other.

20. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

21. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Any list which doesn't have Peter Kay in the top 1 has got it wrong, for me. The man is a genius.

D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Channel 4
    British
    Peter Cook 2
    John Cleese 3
    Woody Allen 4