Top register of the Trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The_Fat_Ref, Mar 16, 2005.

1. The_Fat_Ref

The_Fat_Ref New Member

Dear All,

I am attempting to find out exactly what the positions are for ever note above the concert pitch upper G (shortened 2nd). I've been playing 15 years but stopped lessons after about 5 years, and have been mostly self taught since then so this has always caused me a problem. I have basically been guessing and screeching, but this sounds terrible.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    register
    Trombone
    positions
    lessons
    concert pitch upper G
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Hiya Fat_Ref

I will speak in Bb pitch - if that's ok!

After the high A (in a short second) then the rest of the notes can be played in the same position as the middle octave (i.e. Bb - 3rd, B - 2nd, C - Open D-3rd)

That said it is possible to play top D in open, and hence top Db(C#) in 2nd, and C in 3rd. I not sure if there is any reason why you shouldn't do this - I tend to stick to the normal positions for C & D - however I tend to play Db in 2nd position.

Hope this helps!

Simon.

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Depends on your lip, mouthpiece and specific bone. Once you get into those partials, you can play pretty much any tone in any position. There are probably some that are better for specific notes than others.

5. The_Fat_Ref

The_Fat_Ref New Member

Well just bought myself a nice Bb/F Michael Rath R4 with solid silver lead pipe, so hopefully having a great instrument will help.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Playing a concert C in 1st you'll probably need to flatten it a tad I think. Pretty much all the notes from there up can be played in 1st or 2nd but you'll need to watch your tuning very carefully, especially if your doubling a trumpet or something (as I found out to my horror...)

7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yep it just depends on the instrument and more importantly you lip. When I get up to concert C's etc I find it easy to play in tune on first position, maybe because my embouchre isn't so good or something. I suggest doing some high register training as part of your practice.