Top predator of the seas... you may be wrong...!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 22, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I had to post this - as I couldn't believe what I saw. Others may have seen it recently on tMP as it was on google vidoes directly under a link to another video that has recently been posted on tMP. If you thought sharks were the top predator of the seas... think again.

Watch, and be amazed...!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7004909622962894202

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    google
    tMP
    seas
    predator
    link
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Well done for the octopi. Just had calamri for dinner tonight so I feel the cycle is complete. Squid eats shark, I eat squid, Shark eats human.

4. yay thats great! that shark had it comin, mean nasty things!!!! theyv made me scared of the sea!!! :(

5. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Ollie the Octopus 1 - Sharks 0 Totally amazing to see.

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Top predator? The shark was only 3-4 feet long, according to the soundtrack - a mere tiddler!

Now Colossal Squid - see here - are in a whole new league :D

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

One day when I have broadband I'll be able to watch things like this...
    BMB
    xx

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... but badgers are versatile creatures too ....

[​IMG]

9. bigmamabadger

Ah, badger going home to make calamari with freshly caught squid. We are such sophisticates...
    Did anyone see that wildlife programme where a bunch of otters saw off a crocodile? Now that was cool.
    BMB
    xx

10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Yes..... not only able to swim and catch squid but able to make fantastically convincing pictures on photoshop too.....

p.s. BMB I have broadband but it won't let me see the film yet either... :(

11. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

That squid is Frightening - Stuff of Nightmares or what?!! :(

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    google
    tMP
    seas
    predator
    link
  13. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

The video makes it all seem so sinister!!! They're a coupe of fish and one ate the other... it's how they live! But it' very cool... lol

14. bigmamabadger

Gaaaah! :eek: Just spent 30 minutes buffering that *beep*y video and now I really wish I hadn't. God I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. I've always considered octopussies(pi?) as slimey spiders and this just confirms my opinion. I'm going to have a quiet lie down with a Smarties ice-cream now.
    BMB
    xx

15. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

AWWW!!! Yes. it's octopi but AWWWWWW that is such a funny reaction! Do you think that it would eat a badger? :-? Smarties ice cream rocks, eat lots!

16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Erm, no, it's not, it's 'octopodes', although 'octopuses' is acceptable.

Pedantically yours,

17. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Thank you for that lol! I shall now have to correct my maths teacher who misinformed me in the first place. (Well this is the teacher who told us that 2x3=8 so what can we expect...?)

18. bigmamabadger

I think anything that can kill and eat a shark is not going to have much problem with a small cute fluffy animal like a badger (contrary to Bagpuss we are not dangerous creatures). Octopodipies make my back crawl. Yuk.
    BMB
    xx

19. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Errrrrm, even more pedantically (though see Fowler's definition below which does specifically consider Octopodes pedantic) having looked it up in scientific author guidelines..........not necessarily....

...Octopi (preferred via latin derivation) or Octopuses (anglicisation of original) would both be acceptable terms.

From Dictionary.com.......

oc·to·pus (ŏk'tə-pəs) [​IMG]
    n., pl. -pus·es or -pi (-pī').
    1. Any of numerous carnivorous marine mollusks of the genus Octopus or related genera, found worldwide. The octopus has a rounded soft body, eight tentacles with each bearing two rows of suckers, a large distinct head, and a strong beaklike mouth. Also called devilfish..
    Although, from the same site.......

Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses", and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic. Octopi derives from the mistaken notion that octopus is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not. Rather, it is (Latinized) Greek, from oktopous (ὀκτώπους), gender masculine, whose plural is oktopodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octopes ('eight-foot') and the plural octopedes, analogous to centipedes and millipedes, as the plural form of pes ('foot') is pedes. In modern, informal Greek, it is called khtapodi (χταπόδι), gender neuter, with plural form khtapodia (χταπόδια).

20. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Hmm... My Chambers Concise dictionary reckons octopuses is archaic, and
    AskOxford.com states:
    Looks like it's a case of a word having been used long enough for the dictionary compilers - or some of 'em, at least - to accept it.

(Still think 'octopi' is wrong. And 'octopuses' sounds like you have eight cats...;) )