Top gear

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by toby hobson, Dec 29, 2011.

1. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Is it me or has it passed its sell by date as a formula? Especially the "specials"

It’s the same script every time. We have the Moron, the Sycophant and the Nerd. They partake in a number of not at all staged hyginx, the big mouth and his creeping friend basically attempt to humiliate and bully the nerd, the nerd who is apparently dim (but probably more educated than both of the other 2 prats put together) gets lost, the bigmouth attempts to "fix" something on the car with a hammer with hilarious consequences, then there is usually a "race" where the close finishes are especially impressive, given the amount of time they waste by having to set up various shots of the cars passing still cameras or zooming down empty roads.

I guess the main issue with the formula is.....what is it? Top gear is meant to be a car program, it's gradually morphed into a light comedy program, that’s all very well but the actors are not comedians, they are over scripted broadcasters who do the same things for cheap laughs all the time.

There is a slight whiff of look at daft Johnny foreigner about it and their reviews regarding cars nobody could afford or even obtain if they had the cash are more about them and their own "personalities" than the cars.

For me it’s a tired format that needs to drive off into the sunset hopefully followed by a few changing house programs one or two "look at the chavs chaving around" programs and quite a lot of cooking shows!!!
  2. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Hear Hear, the program, if that is what you would call it, is a complete waste of anybody's time.
    Roll on next Christmas then we can watch zulu again.
  3. simonium

simonium Member

I agree totally but remember what it was like when Chris Goffey presented it - an obsession with Austin Maestros and how much space there is in an Allegro's boot. Somewhere in between surely... And Clarkson to go,
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

The thing about Top Gear (and I think it is pants too by the way) is that it is MASSIVE abroad. Imagine the Americans/Aussies with their stereotypes of what British people are like, it is just as charming for them as Midsummer Murders or Antiques Roadshow (which also pull in huge viewing figures) regardless of the factual content or the quality of journalism.

The BBC can make good money from selling shows overseas, and I suspect several of these shows are no longer made with British tastes in mind, that said they still have to be shown here and the tv zombies tune in by the shuffling horde.

I am sadly pretty sure that if a video of a steaming turd was on at 8:00 on BBC1 that the ratings would be in to 7 figures.

On my last visit to Britain on more than one occasion meetings with people had to fit around Coro or X-Factor.

Thankfully most of my friends back there are more interesting than that!

Rant ends.
  5. Kjata

Kjata Member

Tell that to the millions that watch it week in and week out, in the UK and abroad, who happen to enjoy (myself included in that)...... Don't like it, don't watch it..... Simples......
  6. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

But meanwhile keep paying for it whilst putting up with Gobbys right wing bilge week in week out. Unfortunatly it just isnt as simple as "if you dont like it dont watch it".... if you followed that simplistic guideline we would have a show called The Black and White Minstrals back on telly. Where white entertainers blacked their faces up, leaving a bit of white around their lips and sang Old man river in the style of Al Jolson. People watched that show in their zillions.......didnt make it right though. I'm sure if you put The Texas chain saw massacre on at the same time millions would watch.....not neccaserily ideal programming though! Clarkson has done enough recently to lose his extreamly well payed public sector job but still he inflicts his juvanile humour upon us at tax payers expense. Making "jokes" about the blind and generally shouting his misinformed twaddle to the nation who are expected to put up with it because "millions like it" well if 8 million like it, that's a hell of a lot of the nation who don't!
  7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

So the minority should tell the majority what they should like?

Some (many) tax payers agree with a lot of Clarkson's views and are intelligent enough to know when he is simply playing up to his TV character.
  8. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Well we all my as well eat SHXT as 100 trillion flies can't be wrong.
  9. stevetrom

No, we should all carry on eating (and watching) what WE want, not what we are told to eat (watch).

I'm sure the flies love SHXT but personally I prefer roast beef :)
  10. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Who was it that said "You can't fail to succeed by underestimating people's taste"? When it comes to Clarkson then it's a particularly apt statement.
  11. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Henry Louis Mencken (at least he said something very similar)
  12. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I think there is a previous thread about top gear where I said a year or so ago top gear has had its day. I'm personally bored of it and with lots of programmes have al life span. Richard hammond in my opinon is a nothing character who should stick to presenting kids telly.

But it dosen't matter, the BBC have sold or licenced ( or whatever they have done) top gear all over the world. A US version is already on BBC3 or Dave channel and its made the BBC millions. Overseas they can't get enough of it!
  13. stevetrom

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Didn't make it wrong either.
  15. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

but then people used to go in their hundreds to public hangings!
  16. stevetrom

as yet, unless you have more information, Top Gear have not hung anyone - they have teased, mocked and laughed at many.
  17. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

The public hanging analogy was more in reference to a sort of morbid curiosity as to what ill-thought out insult Clarkson would come out with next, or "putting his mouth into Top Gear without first engaging brain"

but I will concede it does pull in the viewers