Top Gear or 5th Gear?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ruthless, Nov 11, 2005.

?

Top Gear or 5th Gear - which is the best

1. Top Gear

42 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. 5th Gear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Equally good/bad

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Don't care

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

As the new series of Top Gear starts again on Sunday I was wondering which programme people prefer.

What are the best bits of each and which bits make you want to cringe

Top Gear - Just the best
    It has Richard Hammond - what more can I say
    The format works in the large shed with the audience and the chatty discussions
    Clarkson says it as it is..
    Star in a reasonably priced car
    Loads of variety

5th Gear
    Trying hard to be Top gear without actually getting there
    The "chats" in the office can be cringeworthy and don't really work
    They have copied Top gear in their fastest car list
    They always seem to be behind Top gear in presenting the new cars
    I do get a bit of peace and quiet though when VBH comes on (I do have to mop up the dribble from my hubby though!)

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Completely agree, top gear all the way, (apart from your comment about Richard Hammond lol).

3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Top Gear def!

Although I cant get Ch5 so dont think Ive ever seen 5th gear, but Top Gear is just class! :tup

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

VBH is the only thing worth watching 5th Gear for. Top Gear all the way.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Top Gear for sure. 5th gear is turning into a poor imitation, which is annoying as it wasn't to start with. I have to say though VB-H is a damn sight better looking than James May (real ale drinking monster) Richard Hammond (he's TINY!! and has sort of bulgy eyes like someone is squeezing him a bit too hard...) and Clarkson who is even taller and ugler than me, which is an acheivement I have to say.

But for blokey car-ey stuff Top Gear is just right. It gets my vote anytime.

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Topgear just for the grrrr factor of all those fast cars and Richard!

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

5th Gear is also good, I like it a lot, they can be quite interesting at times, however Top Gear is funnier.

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

This is a really tough call for me. I watch both of them, and I've watched Top Gear since William Woollard presented it, back in the Dark Ages.

In those days, Top Gear gave an unbiased and informed opinion on cars that everybody could own - the Nissan Micras, Ford Focus's etc. It was top educational TV that had a practical use. When 5th Gear started, it was very much in the same vein as that.

These days, the focus of both programmes has changed. I blamed the dumbing-down that TV producers say they aren't guilty of.

Top Gear as it is at the moment is extremely entertaining; more so than 5th Gear. In terms of being educational or useful, it just isn't. They are only interested in cars that nobody can afford, and how fast they go. If you are wanting to buy a new car, Top Gear is useless - unless you have 300 grand to spend on the car, and just happen to have a race track in the back garden. If that is the case, then Top Gear is the programme to watch. Unfortunately, I have neither £300,000 nor a race track.......

5th Gear does still review cars that ordinary people can afford (more so than Top Gear anyway), so if I was looking to buy a new car I would probably see what 5th Gear have to say about it. There is a growing trend in 5th Gear to emulate Top Gear though, so they are reviewing more and more aspirational cars which - although interesting and fun - should only remain as a small part of the programme.

In short, for sheer entertainment value Top Gear wins hands down. For an actual review of a car that I might have a chance of buying, then 5th Gear is more likely to be of use. And as other posters have mentioned, Vicki Butler-Henderson is worth watching in her own right - I'm a great admirer of her driving skills :wink:

DaveR

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  9. top gear, don't care what its about but watch it religiously for mr hammond!!!!! mmmmmmmmm!!

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Top Gear - It has the god that is Mr Clarkson, who uttered the best phrase on TV, ever!

"Imagine the entire French Air Force crashing onto a Fireworks Factory, well this car's more of a laugh than that!"
    Classic. :clap:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gear
    series
    format
    bits
    shed
  12. julestools

julestools Active Member

Top Gear is without a doubt the best automotive programme on the telly (starts again tomorrow) The presenters have very different opinions and it makes for a lively and entertaining sunday evening show.

Clarkson hates motorcycles but James and Richard are both keen bikers and the friction between them is blatantly obvious. He also has no problem slagging off some of the major car producers like Mercedes and Vauxhall over build quality and boring design. He says what he feels

Little Richard Hammond (hamster) is just there for the ladies. It seems to be the main reason for them watching. My wife could just fit him in her handbag. Did well with the Bowler Landrover though (driving god my butt)

James May is the sort of bloke who would drive an MGB roadster in a flat cap and string back gloves but together they have something for every one

As for the choice of vehicles, who needs to see test drives of bottom of the range tin boxes. We can test those ourselves down the road but try to get a DB 9 for a test (I did) and they would soon show you the door. It is entertainment so we need to see Ferrari, Lotus, Aston Martin or Lamborghini being totally thrashed by someone too big to fit in the driving seat (Clarkson)

The only thing Fifth Gear has is Vikky (still watch it though).

13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Richard Hammond or Tiff Needell?! Oh lord, am balanced on knife-edge of indecision! Both weirdly lovely. Probably have to be the Hamster, as being more portable and he might just let me drive sometimes. And he will introduce me to the God Clarkson. Can't see Tiff letting anyone else behind the wheel, let alone a girl...

Have voted for Top Gear, although do sometimes watch 5th Gear if I happen to catch it. Was a good article on driving simulations last week. V-BH is just there as eye-candy guys...:tongue: :wink:
    BMB
    xx

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

HAs anybody else read Clarkson's book? It's so funny...he's a man of very strong opinions!!

15. BOB_

BOB_ Member

it has to be top gear i think clarkon is hilariouse

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

I really hope the get Sabine (the "taxi" driver from the Nuremberg ring who took on Clarkson in a Transit van) on in the next TG series - I think she'd fit in very well.

They need someone else to make up for the fact JC's damaged his back and can't do the high G stuff any more.

Wonder if they'll be doing any more filming round here: they did the bit about the TR6 on the hill on the A40 up to here...

Never really watch 5th gear anymore - doesn't have the same presenter chemistry.

Neil
    (MGF roadster, which JC actually thinks is the best 2 reasonably price roadster - he pointed out it was better than the MR2, which it is, of course: because you get enough space to put your euph in the boot!)

17. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Top Gear all the way!

Richard Hammond (who is, unfortunately, married :mad: - my housemate's friend is his hairdresser so gets all his news) AND a load of nice cars! It's cool to get some escapism before going back to the weekly slog, and let's face it, if you want to find out about a nice reliable family runabout you could go to the garage for a test drive without the risk of being laughed out of the door.

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I agree about the flashy cars. Lets face it who wants to hear about the dreary cars we can all afford? Top Gear is an entertainment show about cars - and they do that very well - it hasn't been a motoring journalism programme since the days of Chris Goffy and Noel Edmands.

If I've got the prices right, tonights show reviewed four cars - Ascari @ £225k BMW M6 @ £80k Aston @ £80K and Porsche @ £65k. By my maths that makes the average price of the metal on review tonight to be £112.5k. But who cares - they look fantastic (except the beemer) and sound great - especially the Aston - surely that sound is illegal - maybe the government is rushing through laws now to make it illegal? :rolleyes: But it was half an hour of quality escapism which is a great thing to remember when I get up at stupid O'clock tomorrow morning, to face my dark, wet, cold, stressful trawl to work in my much more humble car.

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I never said you couldn't. I like cars, I enjoy driving and I enjoy being entertained on a Sunday evening. It's just that personally I'm not particularly interested in what is the fastest / most expensive car that you can buy, so I'd like to see some more balance. I've never wanted to own a Ferrari or a Lambo and I've never had posters of them up on my bedroom walls when I was a child or anything. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that - it's just never done anything for me.

Because I'm not interested in the latest supercar, I've often got bored watching Top Gear when all they do is review cars I'm not interested in and will never own. Sometimes, I've ended up watching Heartbeat or something equally dire on the other side. :( That's just my opinion and I realise that I'm probably in the minority.

For sheer mindless Sunday evening entertainment, then Top Gear wins hands down. For motoring journalism, then 5th Gear is marginally better.

DaveR

20. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The programme is called "Top Gear" not "run-of-the-Mill Gear that Everyone can afford"

It is there to provide entertainment about the "Top" cars, not the mediocre ones.

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

That's one thing TG is missing. They made a bit of a fuss about becoming more "women-friendly", and they do put women in the Reasonably Priced Car occasionally (rather patronisingly, except for Jodie Kidd). There are female petrolheads out there and we (they) like to see top class women drivers. Bring on Sabine I say.
    Hey maybe the Stig is actually a woman?!?
    BMB
    xx

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gear
    series
    format
    bits
    shed