Top Cheesey pieces for Christmas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Dec 8, 2004.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Name your top 3 cheesey pieces for Christmas.

For me has to be

1. Jingle Bells arr Broadbent - just those extra few notes on the tune drive me mad. Brie!

2. Christmas adventure arr Barry - the mutant child of Indiana Jones and the Holly and the Ivy. Has had me howling in rehearsals. You either think its cheddar or a cheese string. For me, brilliant piece of cheddar here Mr Barry

3. Angels from the Realms of Glory - Intrada and Rock - The basses Cried. The cornets laughed. I was nearly sacked for buying this dairy lea triangle.

And before there are any comments, yes, I am bored as I'm off work ill!
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

For me the top 3 cheese would be

1) Christmas Swingalong - Derek Ashmore - very cheesy whistle in "all I want for Christmas..."

2) I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa... - Just think what the poor kid had to put up with seeing his mother kissing some old bearded guy. How much counselling would he need to sort that one out.

3) White Christmas - here we go again now lets all sing along with Bing.
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Not sure of the exact title but we played something last year called 'Christmas Bolero'
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Santa Claus-trophobia, I remember seeing it for the first time last year and dont remember being over enamoured with it.
  5. horn1

horn1 Member

Santa Claus-trophobia's GREAT!!!! :)
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Schneewalzer :p :biggrin: You can't beat a good ole sway along to schneewalzer, its soooooo cheesy its brilliant! :biggrin:

Hope you're feeling better soon and back at work. Didn't think i'd ever be begging to get to work, but having had four weeks off already and not going back til at least after the new year, i'm going stir crazy!!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  7. Ali

Ali Member

Mine has got to be

1) 'Stop the Cavalry'. Proper cheese at it's best plus its got loads of bottom A's for the BBb's to parp out. Fantastic!!!!

2) A new arrangment of 'The First Noel' that Dobx have got. It really does belong on the Songs of Praise Happy Clappy Cheesy hits top ten.

3) Cliff's good old 'Mistletoe and Wine'. Oh my god. MAJOR CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Santa Claus-trophoba!!!! Played in on Monday night (first time in a couple of years tho..) had completly forgotten about the back row solo with harmons.....
  9. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Top Stilton products this and every Christmas

1) Christmas Tryptich

2) Christmas Song

3) Christmas Festival - been played to death

Bah Humbug - Roll on Easter
  10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

The Gordon Langford Christmas Fantasy, although unusually for Christmas music this arrangement is good cheese!

But Christmas Song is one I think I've had enough of now. :)
  11. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Derek Ashmore's arrangement of Jingle Bells has to be the cheesiest xmas piece ever. Its class tho (and the glock part is amazing!!! :-D)
  12. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

How about Instant Christmas... cheese at its purest!! esp with the "hurrah" at the end!
  13. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

seconded!!! u know its nearly Christmas when this little gem is played :D
  14. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

You could do a whole page of Bernaerts stuff, but the "have yourself a merry little xmas" is a real gem in this category. With 8 beat rock! Works fine until the middle 8, then DISASTER. To swing or not to swing, that is the question.
  15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Christmas Festival is AMAZING!

SNOWALTZ is just... well.. are there any words to describe it? ;) :-D

what else is amazing???? :-?

ummmm.....Troika !! " HOI !! " :-D
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Christmas Festival gets my vote - when this piece comes out, you know it's time to don those santa hats once more.

I will also put in my vote for one of the Surrey Brass arrangements (The Christmas Song) where our illustrious arranger has ventured into a medley of well-known Christmas ideas, including some of the music from The Italian Job - on the understanding that it is always on at Christmas!
    (he shouldn't be allowed to arrange!)
  17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Am I sad, cos I think that Christmas Festival is great. The very thought that someone could merge Jingle Bells with O Come All Ye Faithful is sheer class, and demonstrates that care in the community is working. Hats off to Leroy Anderson!
  18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

All this talk of the cheesy stuff we all have to play this time of year is ok, but what about the good stuff?

Is there a better Christmas March than Christmas Joy? (are there any others?), first played it on 2nd Horn in Nuneaton Junior Band (SA) in about 1974 and still love it after playing it almost every year since on every part from horn to Eb bass.

I helped out a local band last week and guess what - opened up with Christmas Joy - fantastic
  19. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

20. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

Trouble is, we play the same old tripe every year it all starts to sound a bit cheesy.. :D

Somebody mentioned Christmas Bolero. We checked this out and it sounds kinda OK.

I like Santaclaustrophobia because front row gets about 64 bars rest in the middle!