Top Band Youth Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toby hobson, Dec 19, 2012.

1. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

How many top bands have youth bands now? Is Dykes still going? I see Cory have one now, Fodens do. Do the cornish bands have one? Its a really possitive thing..

I wonder if there may be the opportunity for a youth contest for affiliated youth bands to run alongside a Open or a Nationals?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Top Band Youth Bands
    Dykes
    Fodens
    Cory
    Open
  3. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

I love the fact that these bands are now starting to actually do something in regards to youth development. It does however annoy me that youth bands that have been going for years and run by 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st section bands get very little recognition for their efforts. Remember, its these bands that have kept the top bands at the standard they are at. They also give up their own time for free with no lesson fees. I feel there are more people that deserve this press coverage who have, as bands, being doing this for many many years.

Good on them for setting something up. Anything at all is a bonus at the moment.

4. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Wellllllllllllll whats recognition really. The youth band sector is no different to the adult band. You get some flavours of the month, some self publicists and the occasional note for jobs well done by influetial people like Howard Snells lovely remarks about Lynda Nicholson which was great to see. The only reward most of us need is to see kids (many of whome get a dreadfull press) working hard and achieving things. This prestigious youth band thing is a good thing as far as I can see it, not many kids are good enough and certainly not many can afford to go to the national youth band so if there are alternatives to play at a higher level, then it can only be good. I dont think the afore mentioned Lynda Nicholson would of set up the national childrens band if it was going to have an adverse effect on regular youth banding for instance. The likes of me and you probably just need to plod on trying to find the next James Fountain or Peter Moor and take great pride if we do.

5. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

I'm all for anything that is set up for players of any ability to perform music. I'm not really wanting individuals to be recognised but in the world we live in and how people perceive a band to be is often first what the media say. These 'top' bands are way behind what other bands have been doing for years and years yet they are straight in the press as if they are all doing something special. This is where I feel there is a slight lack of representation of the many bands that have tirelessly run and tried to make brass thrive without any help from the media for years, yet they get all the publicity they need free just because they are a top band and now suddenly want to jump on the wagon of setting up a youth band.

6. Mello

Mello Member

For anyone interested in Youth Bands, I suggest they visit the Action Medical Research Youth Brass Band Championship of Gt Britain - at Blackpool Winter Gardens (Opera House) on Sunday Feb 10th 2013.
    This event has been running for over 20years and always has a full entry. The shows which these bands put on are simply tremendous, and visually so entertaining, they really must be seen to be believed. Just ask those who saw reigning champions Elland doing a swagger spot at the recent Brass in Concert contest in The Sage, Gateshead, Fantastic. I believe the next one in February has entries from the North and as far away as Cornwall.
    Why not give it a whirl , and go to witness these talented Youth bands each doing a mini programme ....just like the big boys did in Gateshead. They certainly deserve your support......so why not ?
    Just enjoyment.....simple as that.

7. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

This is a fantastic event! Whole heartedly agree a must see.

8. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Thing is, anyone can get their adverts and articles in the banding press - so if you want more publicity then just do the same thing that they do and generate it!

9. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Think I may not be putting this across right, I am fully aware that bands can self publicise. My point is there are organisations out there that represent the banding world that don't actively advertise, support or represent youth bands well enough. Except when a 'top' band decides to do something about it.
    I am still over the moon that they are doing it and not trying to put the top bands down for doing it. My worry is with the websites and magazines that only jump on board or publish what has been sent in when it is one of the said bands. This helps brass playing for the short term but doesn't continue to support the 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st section bands across the country that could of done with that publicity and support over the last 10/20 years.

10. wilky

wilky Member

I think it is good for banding if any band has their own youth band (regardless of the section). The reason top bands advertise the fact that they have a youth band is not for their publicity but to make players aware that a new youth band has been formed and to encourage membership. The reason the top bands get the publicity is because they have publicised the news rather than them getting publicity due to the fact they are a top band.

As for the above quote 'It does however annoy me that youth bands that have been going for years and run by 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st section bands get very little recognition for their efforts. Remember, its these bands that have kept the top bands at the standard' have these bands sent press releases off to the various banding papers or websites? If they did they would get publicity

11. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Glad we agree that any opportunity for youth players is a positive one. Sadly I still don't agree about the publicising bit. I do agree that you can send things in to these magazines and websites but I can't comment on whether bands across the country do this or not. What I can say is that it is very rare if at all that said websites and magazines actually print stories about lower section bands and their contribution to the banding world without prompt.
    Please don't think for a minute that I have anything against top bands doing this. I think its great. I just think other sections of the banding world should have the opportunities to be represented, with such ease and interest, as other higher placed bands have.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Top Band Youth Bands
    Dykes
    Fodens
    Cory
    Open
  13. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

One of the great things about the 'top' bands starting Youth Bands is that youngsters get the opportunity to receive tuition from players who they probably admire and aspire to be like. As has been said, not everyone can afford the residential courses, so to give them the chance to sit alongside name players from name bands is a great buzz. And who wouldn't want to be associated with the names of Foden's, Grimey et al, and to wear a polo shirt with a top band's logo on it? It can only benefit the lower section bands too, many of which probably have some of these very youngsters in their ranks - think of the knowledge, enthusiasm and skills they'll take back to their band. I wish such Youth Bands were around in my days of yore..

14. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Unless it's a major contest/concert review, how do they know about anything that any band is doing? Every band has to send the info in to get the publicity.

15. All4Brass

All4Brass Member

We rarely get press releases sent to us regarding youth bands from the lower sections, but when we do, they're publicised and promoted just as much as Corys, Fodens etc. When All4Brass.com was set up six months ago, our main focus was the lower sections. Its fair to say though that we get more emails and news items from the championship section bands than the lower sections.

However, 99% of all press releases sent to us are published and advertised regardless of section, as I'm sure anyone on here who has sent items in to us will confirm.

For those of you wondering how, simply email us at news@all4brass.com with your bands news.

16. ben16

ben16 Member

hmmmm

17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Playing the role of devil's advocate for a minute, do all top players make great teachers? Who decides (and how) who teaches? Is name enough, or do other factors apply?

It's my belief that the top bands are now in this mostly for the publicity and partly to spot the occasional bit of talent. They also know that young minds will be swayed by their actions, which ain't bad for publicity.

The likes of 4br don't exactly help in these matters either...

19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

You're quite right - not all top players make great teachers; likewise they don't always make great conductors. I'm sure the bands choose the specific tutors very carefully - not all players in the band will be suited/want/skilled to give lessons, but having players sitting in with the Youth Band is great for the youngsters. The youngsters really do love it, and if it raises their self-esteem and confidence then that is wonderful. I don't know about all the bands, but I would assume that principal players would take a primary role, and that many of the players are tutors/teachers anyway.

It's my belief that the top bands are now in this mostly for the publicity and partly to spot the occasional bit of talent. They also know that young minds will be swayed by their actions, which ain't bad for publicity.

I have my own views about why bands do certain things, but I'd probably get my knuckles rapped for saying ;-). I do, though, think that whether bands are doing it for a bit of publicity, or out of genuine desire to encourage the brass banding youth and their development, that it can't be a bad thing. It's great that youngsters are getting to rub shoulders with those once seen (and some who would like to be thought of) as 'untouchables'. And, if I had been given such an opportunity when I was young I would have jumped at the chance to join such a Youth Band.

What's good to see is that these bands are not in competition with each other - I believe some youngsters are in more than one, and it's great they are not discouraged from doing this. Some have players from around the grade 3 standard, some from around the grade 5 standard - no-one is trying to set up an elitist youth band, so we're hopefully not going to get the 'competition/I'm better than you' train of thought with these youngsters.

I know one band has already used a couple of their Youth Band as deps - I don't think that having the youth Bands as feeder bands is the primary aim, but isn't it great that they get this opportunity? (And they probably won't charge as much!)
    :wink:

What I would also hope we see are bands passing on a sense of humility (and perhaps learning some themselves) and a sense of achievement and pride in being part of such great outfits.
    :D