Top 3 Conductors of the World :D

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ickle_fiona_cornet_face, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Who would you put as your top 3 Brass Band conductors of the movement???

Answers on a postcard :)

xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World :D
    Brass Band
    xx
    Conductors
    Answers
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Do they have to be active conductors?

- Bram Tovey
    - David King
    - Frans Violet

4. No :) x

5. Goldiecornet

Goldiecornet New Member

Well... It a very difficult one but mine will have to be...

1, Professor David King - Has to be the most successful conductor when it has to come to contests. The man is always on fire. Who else could win the British Open with using a Mcdonalds straw as a baton. What a legend.

2, Major Peter Parkes - The most successful musical director of Black Dyke. I was fortunate to see the man in action with a Guards band in London.

3, Richard Evans - A Legend in his own right. With a career of his i am sure people look up to this man as a mentor. I have watched him take Barton Town Band to the areas in 2008 and 2009 and come back as winners getting them promoted each year and i am sure this year will be no exception.

Fantastic Question.

6. Jan H

In that case I would probably add Howard Snell to my list and Major Peter Parkes as well. I'm not so familiar with the older conductors (a la Harry Mortimer and William Himes?), so i don't know how they compare to the names I gave

7. It's ok I'm in the same boat hehe. It's just conductors who you've seen or been conducted by that have really caught your eye :)

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Bill Himes would love to be described as "the older conductors" - I reckon only Dave King is younger than him out of those mentioned thus far ;)

9. zak

zak Member

Got to add Garry Cutt and Alan Withington in there for my money :D

10. Hehe Garry Cutt is in my top three!!

11. Jan H

I must be confusing him with someone else then. Let me have look on teh internetz
    edit: I meant to say William Halliwell... :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World :D
    Brass Band
    xx
    Conductors
    Answers
  13. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

After playing under David King it is difficult to imagine that there could be anyone better.
    I am sure that it is possible but I do not think that I will ever get the chance to judge!

14. Spector

Spector New Member

Good question!

1. David King
    2. Allan Withington
    3. Nicholas Childs

15. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

James Scott
    Roy Newsome
    James Gourlay

16. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Does Elgar Howarth not feature somewhere?

17. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

3 best conductors

Elgar Howarth
    George Thompson
    Major Peter Parkes

18. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

David King - From an observation point of view.

Philip McCann - Because his approach and discipline are second-to-none.

Simon Wood - Passion and enthusiasm personified. And he was a strong mentor for me in my early conducting days.

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yes, as far as contemporary conductors go, Alan Wthington, but what about N J & R Childs. Surely two of the foremost conductors alive today. That's my three, o well.

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

It as to be a =1st for starters Nick & Bob Childs
    2nd Alan Withington
    3rd David Hirst
    if i could pick a 4th then i would go for
    Richard Grantham (Dickyg on this site) just a great guy who did so very much at my former band in such a very short time in 6 months bands standard just went up and up each practise and WON MIDLAND AREA 1st Section 2007,for a lower section band you will not get many better than him at all.:clap:

21. markh

markh Member

I have always enjoyed listening to Tovey, Withington & King who all seem to focus on the music rather than the notes

22. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I would put Bram Tovey up there. Bram is surely one of the best all round musicians on the planet (the sort who can sit on a piano and write a 6 mminute long sonata off the top of his head)