Top 20 on All Brass Radio for January, 2015

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by DocFox, Feb 4, 2015.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Here is the top 20 as voted on by the listeners:

1. The Las Vegas Brass Band - Country Road
    2. Polysteel Band - Bendictus From The Armed Man Rating
    3. Black Dyke Band - French Military March
    4. EYMS Brass Band - Skyfall
    5. Black Dyke Band - The Melody Shop
    6. Brass Band Of Battle Creek - Lohengrin
    7. Hendon Band - Ye Banks and Braes
    8. SP&S Band - The Old Wells 1934
    9. Various Artists - Final Countdown / Love Changes Everything
    10. Fairey Band - Jubilee

11. Black Dyke Band - Ave Maria
    12. Grimethorpe Collery Band - En Arajuez Con Tu Amor
    13. Fodens Band - Procession to the Minster
    14. Waldsang Brass Band - Hook
    15. Virtuosi GUS Band - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
    16. New Zealand Community Trust Woolston Brass - Sanctus
    17. Ancienne Cecilia - Brigade Forteress
    18. Clifton & Lightcliffe Band - MacArthur Park
    19. Kirkintilloch Band - Liberty Fanfare
    20. British Army Brass Band - Preludium

2. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I forgot to add: I remove tracks that get low votes. This top 20 is from 587 randomly played tracks.
  3. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I shared this with my pal David Hughes, the arranger of the Dyke Ave Maria chart - it's 11th place here is just one more than the number sets of this music that were ever sold!
    (It's still available btw - pm me for details!)
  4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

It amazes me what is voted high. Certainly not all of them would I pick for the Top 20. I am happy when a band that donated a CD to me makes the top 20. It is not unusual for Black Dyke (for good reasons), Polysteel, Grimethorpe, etc to make the top 20.

But the top bands I have to buy the CDs from the UK and with P&P it is expensive. I own over 600 brass band CDs, mostly due to the generosity of Midland CD (we had an advertising relationship, I played ads, they paid me in CDs). They are still, in my consideration, one of the finest people I have met to do that. They really helped the station get a BIG boost.

It must be cool, no matter if you are Lovatt-Cooper, John Williams, Philip Sparke or your pal David to know that people like your music enough to vote it up. Before he passed away, I wonder what late Eric Ball thought after leaving such a large repertoire of music behind.

I had a small brass quintet record a piece I wrote. They sold a handful of CDs at concerts. But still, what a thrill. I hope your pal feels honored. Maybe that feeling wears off if you are really good, but I doubt it.

I cannot imagine that Floral Dance for 2 months in a row didn't make the top 20. Country Road by the Brass Band of Las Vegas has been in the #1 slot two months in a row. That amazes me.

Tell you friend congrats for me. We all love good music.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015