Top 10 Favourite Test Pieces - The CD!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, May 31, 2006.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Arrange a charity recording ... with a little going to tMP ... comprising of top players who are willing to support the project ... maybe a local council would supply a venue for the cause?

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Thought about that one - the issue then becomes rehearsal time for the Band on pieces of such magnitude, and the commitment then becomes correspondingly much larger....I never discounted it completely, but I think it may prove difficult to co-ordinate.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Then how did the Virtuosi Band manage to get together as often as they did? :rolleyes:

4. KMJ Recordings

By having someone who knew what they were doing? :D

;)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and they still rattled out a few major works at short notice! :wink:

6. KMJ Recordings

From 4BR, an example playlist reads:

which, IMHO, doesn't really read like the list that was on this thread ;)

7. KMJ Recordings

(granted that's a compilation I think)

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The first album conducted by Eric Ball? Possibly what they thought was commercial at that time. They also added ditties such as L'Roy d'Ys, An Epic Symphony, Three Figures, Oliver Cromwell, Lorenzo etc. on the follow-up albums! :cool::tup

9. KMJ Recordings

I'll let you off then ;)

I really think there's mileage in some kind of recording of these pieces in one place and not being limited to one band does open up some interesting possibilities in itself.....more to think about....

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The only thing that caught me when I bought these albums back then was that they sounded like a scratch band, you know, a bit sterile!

11. KMJ Recordings

I guess that's what I was getting at - what I'd want to avoid is a recording of just the dots...in order to provide decent musical performances as well, I reckon some serious rehearsal time would be required...or we might end up with another recording by numbers that sounds well sight read, assembly line production rather than having substance...and I'd be anxious to avoid that as there are plenty of those already.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That was then, Keith! Players today are more able to move seamlessly among ensemble types and music genres. In the top bands, less rehearsal time is needed for major contests as well. I would expect better performances now than back then.

13. KMJ Recordings

So would I...but I've got high expectations ;)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

So would most! I still think it would work, given that the players would already be familiar with the test-pieces. It's just finding a musical director who could quickly forge interpretation.