Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Oct 2, 2011.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Question: How possible is it for a previously competent player, but regrettably now toothless person, to play Eb bass?

The occasional humerous response is, I suppose, inevitable; however, this is a perfectly serious request for information from knowlegeable individuals.
  2. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Fixodent foodseal.
  3. eflatbass

Fixing to what? No teeth; real or otherwise!
  4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Without knowing too much about it, I would say that the missing teeth, would push the gums together, and change the way that the air flows. It may be that the change in air pressure is insufficient to produce a note of quality. On the flip side it may be that the missing teeth cause no problem. Not sure one way or the other, but if I put my upper set slightly lower, and inside the lower set there is a noticable reduction in the quality of the rasp being formed.

Silly one coming up, get a set of gumshields that have the requisite amount of moulding to simulate the teeth. This would then replicate the mouth full of teeth and allow the continuation of the bass playing.

There used to be a dentist who visited this forum, although I cannot remember her username. I'm sure someone will know.
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

CornetGirl - though you are more likely to find her on facebook these days.
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I was initially taught to play bass by a chap who played very successfully despite not having one real tooth in his head. He did have a complete set of dentures though. And I'm pretty sure he used the same sealant that Sudcornet mentioned above.

Likewise I knew a euphonium player who had no front teeth, and though she hated wearing her denture fitting, she simply had to or she couldn't play at all.

I've never known anyone with no teeth at all successfully play a brass instrument without some form of denture - not saying it's not possible but I've no personal experience of anyone achieving it.

I have, however, known several who've had to completely learn to play again (or who've given up entirely) after major dental work. There are few things that seem to force change upon a player in that manner.
  7. eflatbass

Many thanks for all your comments. Looks like having to learn playing the mouth organ, or, heaven forbid, percussion! On the other hand, I could wag a stick, but no one would be able to follow my beat.

Anyone need a librarian?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Surely you're only a set of dentures away though?
  9. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

One of our Eb bass players has no teeth and he mananges without a problem. May take a bit of practice though
  10. eflatbass

Thanks very much for those words of encouragement. All I have to do now is find a band willing to allow me the practice time!
  11. pbirch

pbirch Member

since no one has suggested it, have you been to see your dentist? there might be some orthodontic procedure to restore your teeth so that you can continue playing, it might be expensive and take some time and discomfort, but it might be worth pursuing
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are a few routes that can be taken ... Every case is unique, however. Implants and bone grafts are expensive and not suitable for everyone. Dental plates may assist in the support of production, but keeping them in place can be trial & error.
  13. eflatbass

Indeed; dental procedure may be the more obvious solution to my problem, albeit a particularly expensive route for me to follow, and one which I am unable to afford at present.

I am paying the price for a long term of neglect. Unfortunate, but fact.
  14. Daveflug

Daveflug New Member

Might be time to move to percussion....:p
  15. eflatbass

Not so stupid as it sounds, but then I would need a van to carry all my gear, and I don't think the neighbours would be too happy with my home practice.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any dentists in your locale asking for NHS patients? That would considerably reduce costs.
  17. pbirch

pbirch Member

everyone should take notice of this….
  18. euphymike

euphymike Member

My father a trombone player was in a car accident and with a smashed face lost all his teeth at the age of43! He went to a military dentist at catterick camp I think he made him a set of playing dentures which were all solid plastic at the back and teeth at the from for the embochure. They worked for him but were never as a good as the real thing. Alas then downside was he had to swap them for talking, drinking etc.
  19. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

My findings on this subject is, that after having all my top teeth removed, this in the days of Gas, I had no trouble playing, with or without the dentures.

Now I have had the bottom extracted, this is a different matter. The bottom front are set on bone and once the dentist breaks that bone to remove your teeth, it causes all sorts of problems, the most painful is bone sticking through your gums, and the downside is not being able, unless you can stand pain, to wear the bottom denture. For me the Dentist cut away the part that hurt me the most, after that no problems, but I can not play any Brass Instrument or My Sax, because no type of Denture fixident will make them stay in place for more than a minute. This is my problem, someone else might be lucky.
    I can understand why people do not wear their bottom dentures.
    I will have to wait between 6 months and a year before my gums are normal.
    At my age, I might not make it. LOL