Too Scrub Or Not To Scrub?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MISS PITCH, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

I MissFaye, have heard rumours that

silvo/brasso is bad for ya 'shine'

TRUE? FALSE?

If so what alternatives have I got to get the

extra sparkle back into my pipe

work
    !?

mucho
    luv to all!

FAYE x

2. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Soapy water and a nice brillo pad! Gives that authentic frosted look to any instrument!

3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

What kind of finish have you got in the first place ???

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I use my trusty silver cloth, it's ace, or if my pipes are really filthy i shove it in the shower with some nice smelling shampoo!
    Someone once told me they used windowlene on their tuba for the perfect finish however I've never tried that myself.
    Don't use brasso or silvo, too abrasive I've been told. Dunno if it's true!

5. Di

Di Active Member

Goddards foaming silver polish.

Much easier to use than the normal polish in that its a lot easier to clean off afterwards. Apply with damp sponge and rinse of with water. :)

6. barrytone

barrytone Member

Lacquer cloth for lacquered finish, silver cloth for bsp. Wash inside with soapy water and rinse with cold. Use flexi brush through instrument if necessary once slides are removed.

Clean tuning slides with polish wadding but make sure give them a thorough buff up afterwards. Soapy water on your valves, polish wadding if they're very dirty or old, again buff well. Mouthpiece brush down your mouthpiece to remove any grime. Polish instrument as already detailed and put back in case.

If instrument is in excellent/good/reasonable condition, it shouldn't need a full clean very often and should be polished even less. Bigger instruments take longer to clean due to size, therefore if you've got a cornet, you should be able to give it a full clean in an hour tops, if it's a bass, up to four hours.

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Although it now seems very obvious, I hadn't appreciated this until I recently bought a trombone for my daughter and was able to give it a full make-over - inside and out - in less than half an hour whilst with my bass it would have been more like 4 r 5 with bits of tubing scattered all over the kitchen floor in various stages of washing, drying and polishing.

8. Di

Di Active Member

I do find the polish wadding takes a heck of a lot of buffing to get it all off and in some of the tricky areas, near impossible. Even when you think it's all gone, you still end up with black smudges on your hands or shirt. It does give a really nice shine though. I find that after using that the and I've done a good rub down that the best way to get rid of any last residue is to rub a small amount of washing up liquid into my palms, then gently rub the instrument down, then rinse off with the shower hose. THEN it really sparkles.

9. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

HELLO!
    peeps
    with brass obsessions....

I have a cornet :D

It has a silver appearance

lacquered finish

--- havent *ACTUALLY* got a clue about it :-?-----
    very very very very very very old sovereign

but i LOVE it!

all
    advice is
    sounding Good!

soapy water!?

sounds way to simple!

FAYE x

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  10. on_castors

on_castors Member

Years ago I was given some Amway silver polish - Amway is this awful USA hyped up get-around-illegal-pyramid-selling company but the Silver polish WAS spot on for instruments - it polishes like Brasso or Silvo, but is milder than either, and after buffing it up, you wash it off with soap & water so you get rid of ALL the black smudging and the horrible smell, with none of the white residues either. It also seems to leave an invisible coating so it lasts very well,and was designed for silver cutlery so it should be safe enough.

Highly reccommended, if you can find it. I looked at their web site & got lost in the search, so maybe it isn't still around. Just don't get talked into joining them & selling the stuff!

For cleaning BLACK old instruments, another method to get it clean enough TO polish.... get a pack of Washing Soda, some salt and some aluminium foil. Use a container big enough to dip the instrument (bath for a Bass!) and fill far enough up so by turning it you can immerse every part. Use hot water, as hot as you can handle, add plenty of soda, a handful of salt and put the foil in the bottom. The instrument needs to touch the foil and the black will chemically/electrolytically disappear, it is good for the fiddly bits inbetween valves. Washing any grease or oil off before beginning gives slightly better results. You then need to wash it and then polish as normal.

I wouldn't reccomend it for collectables or any instrument of great value, but for something that has been lurking at the back of a cupbopard for 20 years it is quite amazing!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    COLOR=Black
    COLOR
    SIZE
    SandyBrown
    FONT
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Caustic soda:biggrin: