"Too Loud"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Jul 6, 2009.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Our conductor has got a thing especially with our bass section (tubbytuba will back me up lol) where he tents to moan at us for being too loud! Even when were not! Anyone else MD tent to do this?! Seems to be the bass section seem easy to pick on!!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  2. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Have to agree lol!!!

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Your perceived balance will be different from his...and his will (or at least should) be closer that that which will be heard by an audience...so maybe you are too loud even when you think you're not ;)

4. Al

Al Member

With basses, very often less is more, sort of thing

5. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

I see what you mean but its 4 basses against a band of 45 other brass players and a full percussion section! Must be some bass section ;)

6. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Like KMJ said, the man in the middle will get a better idea of the overall sound than you will. Where I sit I hear loads of Bass Trom, but nothing of the Back Row cornets at all.

Take it as a compliment, if your constantly being asked to play up and your too quiet and can't balance up that's the harder part. :)

7. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Come on chaps,you dont need to tell us how to suck eggs lol,we played a piece at practice (And The Band Played On, written for Sellers) the 2 Bb bass mimed and still got told to play quieter!!!

8. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Basses are always too loud...even when they are resting.

9. KMJ Recordings

A while back I recorded a CD for a Band, and its approval was down a select number of players, one of whom had many years of experience...his opening sentence in his feedback was, to paraphrase, that he thought the balance was wrong...

After a little digging, it turned out that what he meant was that the 1st horn and 4th man down weren't loud enough...he was the 2nd horn player and he was listening for 'his' balance...

10. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hey Messi i ought to have guessed it would stir some witty coments lol.We played with 4x basses and to be fair only one of the Eb bass can play. Its a big band (sitting in with the youth band) and we keep getting stick lol

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Too Loud
    Paul Cosh
    tune
    fine band trainer
    fond of saying
  12. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

I do appreciate the balance comments,this is a big! big! band.Theres no way on this earth could we be picked up for being to loud as we mimed from start to finish for the sheer hell of it lol.Both Matt and myself know the ropes a little bit lol

13. Mesmerist

in our band at the moment it would appear to be the horns and trombones who are always wrong...

14. KMJ Recordings

There's also the possibility it's the room - if it's a real effect.

15. Mesmerist

No KMJ - I`ve heard them. Tubby is awesomely loud

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  16. nomperism

nomperism Member

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Don't forget chaps. Volume on it's own is not an end in itself. One of the loudest players I ever sat next to blew every note nearly a semitone sharp every time he played above MF. It's good to have power, but maybe your MD is worried you're sacrificing quality of sound to get it?

As a very clever bass player once told me, it isn't how loud you can play, nor how quiet. It's the difference between the two - and making a good noise at both ends and all points in between.

Power is nothing without control.

We all know as bass players, there's times when you have to take a notch off the dynamic to keep clarity. Likewise, there's times when you might have to up your dynamic compared with what's going on around you, a particularly nice falling bassline like the one in the 2nd mvt of "little suite for brass" for example.

The long and the short of it is, the chap holding the stick is in charge, and if he's saying you're too loud, he must have a reason. By all means, discuss it with him afterwards, if you haven't already. That may well clear things up.

18. Mesmerist

To be serious Tubbytuba I really don`t like it when a certain section/player comes in for unfair grief by an MD. Yes it does happen and there are MD`s who you can predict which section/player they have a go at even before we begin playing. And the ones who go wrong themselves and then pass the blame onto a player or section. It doesn`t fool anyone of us.

19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

It may well be just one "bass" player playing too loud, its quite common for the whole balance to be upset by one player, so maybe if 2 of you mimed then you are close to finding the culprit.

20. animal.22

animal.22 Member

This week oi will mostly be playin "TOO LOUD" agen oi shud think :biggrin:

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I would rather be told you are to loud than not loud enough.
    Its easier for a conductor to tell you to play quieter then it is to play louder,because if its a player who is affaid to blow then there is no sound at all.
    Ive been told many times that im over the top on volume,rather be told that than
    "COME ON BLOW IT LETS HEAR YOU!!!!"

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Too Loud
    Paul Cosh
    tune
    fine band trainer
    fond of saying