Tonsils !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by YABBGB, Jul 25, 2003.

YABBGB New Member

I've just been booked in to have my tonsils out on Sept 1st !

I've been told to have 2 weeks off work so as to avoid infection (shame !) and also to lay of blowing the trombone for a few weeks.

I'm over 30 and have heard it can be a nasty operation for adults

Has anybody on the forum had their tonsils done 'later in life' rather than as a kid ?

Any advice on how long it is before I can play again.....I have a show the last week in Sept and hope that I dont have to dep it out !

and finally..............does this mean I'll be able to blow even more air through my Bass Trom ???? (Cos I'm only a quiet player - haha... NOT ) !!
  2. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

Awww...poor babe!!

Ah well, at least you can be assured of a couple of weeks of wholesome drinking before your tonsils come out!!!!

One week to go, if my calculations are accurate...... get in!!!!!

As for your tonsils....I sincerely hope you don't get any louder, I'm sure there's some kind of Environmental policy against that!!!! :lol:
    ha ha!

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I had my tonsils out when I was 16 - does that count as 'later life'? If I remember rightly, it was a month or so before I got back to playing, although the whole area was pretty tender for a while. Not sure you're going to make your show - I was advised to take a full four weeks out from everything to avoid infection to what was, after all, an open wound?

And you can get more air through afterwards... Well, I found that I could relative to my previously permanently tonsillitised state, anyway.

4. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Bass Trombones only have two dynamics anyway....

"On" and "Off".

Best of luck, though... hope you recover in time!
  5. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

bass player in our band had his tonsils out not so long agao and I am sure he was of for at least a month so maybe should check this out more with the doc.

Edit: Duplicate post deleted (RT)
  6. horn1

horn1 Member

I had my tonsils out last September when I was 23. It wasn't very pleasant at all very painful and I had to start college a week later (you can't really miss the first week of teacher training)! I'm pretty sure I was back playing within about 2 weeks although it was a bit soon as it did still hurt when I played, although, as I'm sure you know, it wasn't anything like as bad as playing with tonsilitis (which I did at the areas the year before). I'd give it about three weeks at least, but then again it depends how you are, I've heard of some people who've been back after a week! I wouldn't recoment it though!
  7. asteria

asteria Member

Hi Richard,

My mate had her tonsils out not long ago, not long before a major contest. We tried to persuade her to take it easy, but she insisted on playing after a couple of weeks. The first couple of days were agony, but she managed it by getting back into playing gradually, and made it on contest day.

However, be warned, i have heard horror stories of stitches bursting after having tonsils out!! Not a pleasant experience i'll bet, so be very careful if you're going to attempt to play!

See you on friday!! :D
  8. NeilW

NeilW Member

Hope all goes well. I think that modern anaesthetic is much better than the old gas.

I ended up having an op on Monday with a "general". I fell off a platform while cutting a hedge and have broken both bones in my right forearm :(

No playing for probably a couple of months...

PS can we have some left-handed emoticons for those of us without the use of the right :?:
  9. jo

jo Member

hope it goes well, I will have 2 bags of salt and vinegar crisps waiting for you at Birmingham!!!
    J :lol:
  10. Bones

Bones Member

That is cruel, surely a gallon of ice cream, washed down with a gallon of Greene King would be better.

Best of luck rich, and have a good trip with Yabb
  11. jo

jo Member

merely returning the caring thoughtful gift made to me by Jude when i had my wisdom teeth cream is for big girls blouses!

12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When my son had his tonsils out, they were not going to let him home from hospital until he'd eaten a packet of crisps - none of this molly-coddling these days :!: :wink: :lol: