Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassed_off, Oct 1, 2007.

1. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

How soon after a tonsillectomy should I be able to play again?

I'm 24 so I know it's gonna hurt! Especially as they make you eat toast and rough stuff. There goes my Ben and Jerry's diet. :mad:

My main concern is that the doctor told me it might be in October and I'm due to play at Leicester and Leamington contests at the end of November. :confused:

Any one been through it recently?
  2. rcalvert20

rcalvert20 Member

Hey there,

I had a tonsillectomy in 2004 (when i was 21) just as i started my 1st year at birmingham conservatoire doing music! I started playing again after 2 weeks which wasn't bad going. I still had to take it easy but everyones healing rate is different!

Just take all the advice the Dr will give you and try not to be round anyone with a cold as that will put back your recovery! (I cheated a little and carried on with the ben and jerrys but that was only a reward for eating toast, ouch!!)

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck! It will be worth it in the end!!

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I had my tonsils out last year when I was 26. You are right, it hurts!! The worst bit is not actually the pain though, it is when it all scabs over and then the scabs come off. That is really awful!! I am just posting this to make you feel better hehe. I was back playing again after about 2 weeks. It is definately worth getting it done though. It might of been unpleasant, but I haven't had any problems since.
  4. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

I had my tonsils out in the Xmas break in my first year at London College of Music. Came out on the Friday and played a concert on the Sunday night. Didn't do any damage, but probably wasn't the best idea. :oops: I did take it quite easy for a week or so after that though.

And yes, the worst bit is the scabbing over (or more to the point, when the scabs come off - yuk)
  5. Silver Horn

Silver Horn New Member

Not the best of experiences :( - had mine out 2 years ago (am in my early 30's). 2 day stay in hospital turned into 5 days - it's pretty unpleasant after the op feels like swallowing shards of glass. Don't think I played for about 3 weeks - being cautious after the agony - you may be ok to play sooner.

Good luck with the Op - it's definately worth it. :p
  6. vonny

vonny Member

I had my tonsils out when I was 20 and I have to say it was the 'worst' experience I had encounted. I was given 'hard' foods such as toast... apparently this helps with the healing process.
    I think you should take it easy with reguards to playing because at the end of the day your health is more important than playing in a brass band.

x Yvonne x
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I had mine out when I was 16, following a couple of years of having non-stop tonsillitis. I'd become so used to the ongoing swollenness that playing felt very different afterwards.

This was just before the summer, so I didn't hurry back to playing - 6 weeks was advised, and 6 weeks I laid off for.
  8. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

I had mine out when I was 18 and they got infected afterwards. I was given anti-biotics and told to gargle with salt water. I started playing a week after the op (as soon as I was told not to practice it suddenly became the only thing in the world that I wanted to do!). Was totally back to normal within a fortnight. I would thoroughly recommend gargling with salt water just to spead up the recovery.
  9. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Hi Hannah

Had mine whipped out 3 years ago and was playing again 2-3 weeks later. As others have said, plenty of salt water gargling and paracetamol gargling + lots of toast and other abrasive food to clear those scabs (nice!!!). Have felt much better since having them out too :p.

Hope it all goes well

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Sounds like you'll be playing before I do, Brassed_Off. Having dislocated my shoulder on 29th August on holiday, I was going for my first blow tonight.

Unfortunately, I have just found I can't lift my tuba yet, so I guess it's going to be a couple of weeks yet. :mad:
  11. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Thanks for all the advise! Not sure I want it now.... scabs.... yucky yucky. Will not do anything stupid, health IS more important than band, I just don't want all the hard work for the contests to go to waste. Got my pre-op on Tuesday and I can discuss a date then with them that suits me, so hopefully I can work it without having to be silly!!

PS: Will: hope you're shoulder feels better soon!

I had my tonsils out when I was 20. Was back playing again about a week later, but had to re-train myself to play again, as my tonsils had been that swollen they had affected the way that I played. Took about 6 weeks to get back into making a nice sound again, but I haven't been able to flutter tongue since. Good luck with the contests!