Tommy Campbell R.I.P - Dalkeith & Monktonhall Band

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by DMBabe, Mar 23, 2011.

1. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

It is with great sadness I pass on the news of the sudden and unexpected passing of Thomas "Tommy" Campbell. Tommy was a former trombone player and long-standing treasurer and supporter of Dalkeith and Monktonhall Band. He is a well-known face in Scottish Banding and at SBBA. He is survived by his wife Helen and daughters Fiona and Emma.

I will post funeral arrangements as soon as I find out for those who knew him and wish to attend.

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I originally met Tommy when I first played with the then Dalkeith Burgh Band in about 1973. I joined them a couple of years later, and Tommy quickly became a good friend.

Tommy was always a great supporter of the band, frequently changing shifts to attend rehearsals when he was a player, and still attending every rehearsal after taking on the job of treasurer. An absolute gem of a guy who'll be sadly missed.
  3. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

We're absolutely stunned at this sad, sad news. A great man, and a dear friend. Indeed, a legend - the only man we knew who went out for chips and came back with 2 Germans!!! One of the very best, whom we will miss terribly. Our thoughts tonight are with Helen, Fiona and Emma. We still can't believe it. R.I.P Tommy.

Brenda and Alan Fernie
  4. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

I heard the news at our rehearsal last night.

"The nicest person you'll ever meet" is an over used phrase but I can't think of anyone more appropriate to use such words.

Working outside with Midlothian Council was a perfect job for Tommy - whenever I passed through, I didn't ever see him do any work, he was always chatting to someone with a huge smile on his face.

An absolute gem of a man.

Our thoughts are with Helen, Fiona and Emma and all those at Dalkeith and Monktonhall.
  5. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

Sad news indeed, I first met Tommy over 40 years ago when I first attended the (big) band (Dalkeith Burgh Band as it was back then) as a spotty 12 year old.

Over the passing years Tommy never lost any of the passion or enthusiasm for his band, he took great pleasure from sitting on the stage to collect cups during the good times and held resolute during the tough times during the many lean spells when the band went through the rigours of rebuilding.

As David points out, Tommy was not the type of man that could walk past anybody he new without spending some time with them so spent a fair bit of his shifts leaning on his brush and Dalkeith was a better place for it.

He will be greatly missed and Jean and I's thoughts are with Helen, Fiona and Emma.

Jimmy Murray
  6. tuba jim

tuba jim New Member

A great loss met him at Dalkeith in the 80s and ever since was always met with a cheery smile and a bit of banter at many contests
  7. Hezza

Hezza New Member

We will certainly miss him loads our practices will not be the same without Tommy hovering about and his latest stories.
  8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Funeral is on Saturday 2nd April, service at 9.30am at St Mary's Dalkeith (aka "Tommy's church" to those ever involved with the band) followed by cremation at Mortonhall then wake at Woodburn Miner's Club afterwards. All friends welcome.

Please feel free to post any memories or stories about Tommy as I'm sure it will be a great comfort to the family to see how fondly he was regarded. Have to say I don't ever recall meeting anyone who didn't have good things to say about him. A true legend!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  9. tubabum

tubabum New Member

sad news indeed, will always remember the look on Tommys face whenever we won anything especially in the mid 90's. he was always cheery but even more so then. my thoughts are with his family.