Tomandwill tuba gig bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bob7euph, Nov 27, 2012.

1. bob7euph

bob7euph New Member

any reviews or advice on this brand??
    thanks
    Rob

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tomandwill
    thanksRob
    reviews
    advice
    Tomandwill tuba gig
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

The most important thing to review is your instrument insurance policy. Many will specifically exclude damage incurred if the instrument is in a soft gig bag.

4. julian

julian Member

Our local repairer is a great fan of gig bags - he says that they earn him loads of money! - especially after people drop them, or sit on them or......

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have had four Tom&Will gig bags - the single trumpet is ok, the single cornet is excellent, the triple trumpet was terrible - have got through two of them!
    All the cases have come with instruments, I wouldn't purchase them on their own.
    With the triple cases the stitching was useless and they literally fell apart over time - not through any over-use nor unusual treatment. I very nearly had a disaster when I picked up the case and the bottom came away from the rest of the case - I managed to catch the trumpet as it started to fall through the gap!

I know a couple of tuba players who use the Tom&Will tuba bags, but I will not be buying a trumpet one (and should I purchase another instrument that comes free wth one of their bags it will appear on ebay shortly afterwards)

6. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

We have three. Two BBb, and one Eb bass. The oldest is less than two years old, and although it's in the hands of a careful guy, it's falling apart. The main problem seems to be the stitching, or poor quality thread. If you come across a better quality type please let me know.
    Cheers, Lofty.

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I've only had mine a short while - few months - but it is OK. Main consideration is - does it fit in the boot of the car (Honda Jazz)? It does. I think the padding's a bit thin in important places, the large pad at the bell is a good idea, though. Being a shortar$e (5' 7"), I don't have much use for the shoulder straps, as the bell keeps hitting me in the back of the knees or the back of the neck depending which way up i'm hoisting it. It's light enough not to worry too much about carrying it by the normal handles. Not yet noticed any failure in the stitches. If I get a couple of years of use out of it, at about £100, I'll be fairly happy.

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I only have one for space saving at home, plus the ease of transporting across London by tube if necessary. Had it for about a year, and so far so good. If you are using it to transport the bass as the norm, in place of a hard case, then it will probably suffer the same fate as all other gig bags. It will wear out.

At nearly 6' 3" the bag is still on the large side to carry on my back, and unless it is a route march I carry by the handles. It has a decent cover over the canvas handles that doesn't cut into your hands.

9. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

Anyone know of any other makes ? I had a EEb bass one about 12 years ago when I was with another band. It was really good quality, heavy duty job, but I can't remember the manufacturer. I think it was made from leather, or similar.
    Cheers, Lofty.

10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

11. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tomandwill
    thanksRob
    reviews
    advice
    Tomandwill tuba gig
  13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

My Son has a Reunion Blues which is excellent ( expensive though, but given he travels to college and back and to London and back every week its worth it). Bachs are not too bad either ( I think that may be the leather one you saw ) we did have BBb bach bag which comes with a raincover stowed in the bottom.

We have a Tom and Will but tbh the shoulder straps are useless as they are about a foot too long ( unless they have shortened them recently ) and the D rings have a dangerous habit of opening up. They are ok if your not going very far.

I'm just glad my tenure on tuba was shortlived :)

14. Vic

Vic New Member

I bought one for my Bb bass a few years back. Both zips broke within months so it's effectively useless now as a gig bag!

15. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Ditto, I have two tuba ones for 15" bell and 19" bell EEb's. Not over used and the zips have broke on both.
    My opinion the Vincent Bach ones are better, expensive but I think Reunion Blues & Phil Parkers do their own copies.