To repeat or not to repeat

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by daisygemma, Sep 16, 2003.

1. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

That is the question that I need an answer to :!:

When you play a march with a DC, is it correct practice to play the repeats or not :?:
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

If a composer doesn't want the repeat's played on a DC, the parts or score will probably say so, otherwise I would personally play the march as written.
    I suppose at the end of the day it's down to the personal choice of the MD. On some of the marches I've written and arranged I've left the DC as 'optional' purely for this reason.

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Standard practice is to omit the repeats on the DC. You might choose to play the repeats if the section of music was quite short (eg. the start of Mephistopheles).

Marches share this procedure with the classical minuet and trio - a similar musical structure - where repeats are never used on the DC. In most musical forms the recapitulation of earlier material is ussually condensed in some way.

But it would be a brave adjudicator who criticised a band for either observing or failing to observe this 'rule'!

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Related to the question of repeats in the DC, what do people think about the DC itself? I know that it does bring you back to finish in the original key, but it does make some marches rather long on the concert stage.

Composers' views on this seem to vary - Ray Steadman Allen has often made a point of writing his out in full to ensure it ends as he intended it, but others don't seem too bothered.
  5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

In the Salvation Army the DC is also the Divisional Commander. Thus it adds a whole new meaning to "Shall we do the D.C."
  6. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

I believe the standard practice at the Whit Friday March copmetitions is to do all the repeats on the DC
  7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I thought you would take the no-repeats option after the TMP Whit Friday rehearsal where I was worried that blows might be exchanged over this subject!! :hammer :wink: For what it's worth, I'm with the no repeats on a DC camp, just because that's what I was always taught when younger!!
  8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There are some exceptions - examples being Radetsky - depending on which version you have (one has the repeats properly written out, the other doesn't) and of course, from my army days (British, not Salvation!), then when on the march, you keep going until you get the instruction to stop!
    So, I would suggest it a) depends on the march and b) depends on where you are playing it.
  9. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I was taught that you should always assume you will NOT do the repeats after a DC, as that is "correct".

Not just in Brass Band marches, but in all music.

Doing the repeats is at the discretion of the conductor, of course, who may give the appropriate hand-signal ( :shock: ) when approaching the end of a repeated strain.
  10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I put my foot into the no repeats on DC camp,

Although i've never been aware of a hrd and fast rule!

We do tend to cheat on Concerts with longer marches and "stop at the bottom"!!!
  11. Tack7

Tack7 Member

Whit Friday Marches

Its almost a rule at Whit Friday to play the d.c. and all repeats to the end. But occasionally a march is printed out in a way that means u play a phrase that cuts to the end before u get to the repeat markings.

Simon B&R
  12. Despot

Despot Member

If musical correctness is to be observed, no. (Remeber that one from my piano days!) :D