to much rehearsing for a contest??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jcowensEb, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

do conductors over do it for contests??
    do some conductors get a piece out 2 early??
    work to much on it??
    push the band to hard to early??

what are your views????

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    conductors
    band
    contests
    piece
    views
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

We've already had English Heritage out! We always look at pieces well in advance, but not so much as you're sick of it come competition day, just enough to become familiar with it and get fingers round the tricky bits! :D

4. Al

Al Member

A very difficult one this.

But I have never ever woken up contest day wishing we had just one more day . . . .

5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Interesting questions. I don't think my md does.

6. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

some times come contest day im bored of the piece nd leads to lack of concentration.
    this thread doing well. no arguements yet haha,

7. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Yes sometimes the test piece does start to get a bit boring.

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I have played for bands that thrash it for weeks until tedium sets in and bands that leave it a couple of weeks too late. Its takes a well organised schedule and a conductor that knows his troops and their ability to get it just right.

9. flash harry

flash harry Member

I hear people say that you can "peak" too early by practising too much and that you can be in danger of leaving the "best performance in the bandroom". Personally, I do not think that it is possible.

I learnt an important lesson from a conductor, who I hold in the highest regard, who said "you don't practice to get it right, you practice enough so you do not play it wrong", or words to that effect. For that reason, I do not think you can rehearse too much.

10. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

i agree with the "people" i think you can peak to early, then have the danger of leaving the best performance in the bandroom

11. Steve

Steve Active Member

Nothing can ever be over rehearsed. If players are bored then they are either perfect, or have a poor mentality and aren't pushing themselves hard enough.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    conductors
    band
    contests
    piece
    views
  13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I disagree. I think you can get quite bored / sick of playing the same piece over and over again.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Have you ever delivered the perfect performance? Maybe you have, but if you can play the notes, dynamics, style etc 3 weeks before the contest then spend the next 3 learning to play them better.

That is what makes the superstars in banding superstars and thats what creates great performances. Its not about learning the piece, its about improving your ability to deliver it.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It depends on the perceived ability of the band to master a piece, in my opinon. The basics must be dealt with first and tweaking done to project the MD's interpretation. The more things needing sorted, the longer it takes to get things right. Band trainers do occasionally get it wrong allowing bands to peak too early or vice-versa if rehearsals don't go to plan.

16. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I see what you mean and agree with it but I still think it is possible to 'over do it'. I guess it partly depends what your aims in contests are...... Is there such a thing as a perfect performance?

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Do you mean "Too" when you type "To" ?
    Isn't "2 early" text speak ?
    Shouldn't there be capital letters at the start of a sentence ?

- Mr Wilx

18. euph-man

euph-man Member

Lots of players in bands only practice when they take the instrument out of its case at rehearsal. So that means the poor conductor then has no choice, guess what it has to be rehearsed in band. If players took the parts home and practised them then maybe the piece would not have to be rehearsed so much at band practice.

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm not sure anyone has ever delivered a perfect performance, certainly not in their own minds anyway. However, there comes a point where as an individual you've got something as good as you're going to get it given ability at that time. That might happen a couple of weeks before the contest and no amount of practising that particular piece will improve things.

From what I've seen of the superstars and the work that's put in, most of it is done away from the bandroom and not necessarily on the test piece either. They've already got the ability to deliver the goods by that point.

Also, it can depend on which part you're playing. Some take a lot of work, some don't. I've certainly played on winning performances where I've been bored witless with a week to go.....

20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Yes! And unfortunately, those that only get their instruments out twice a week are those that REALLY need to practice ther parts! When that happens, the conductor ends up repeating themselves week after week because of those few that just can't be bothered.

I usually find that I don't need to practice my parts, I can get by looking at them whilst other sections are being rehearsed (although, if I were a solo cornet, I would definately need to do some private practice on English Heritage! The Sop part is so dull compared to the others!)

21. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Yes! And unfortunately, those that only get their instruments out twice a week are those that REALLY need to practice ther parts! When that happens, the conductor ends up repeating themselves week after week because of those few that just can't be bothered.

I usually find that I don't need to practice my parts, I can get by looking at them whilst other sections are being rehearsed (although, if I were a solo cornet, I would definately need to do some private practice on English Heritage! The Sop part is so dull compared to the others!)

22. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have ... ;)