To mic or not to mic ...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Having both played in and listened to bands playing with the aid of microphones I'm left wondering sometimes .... why?

Take this weekend at Butlins for instance....

Friday night ... The stage was set with microphoness for the PolySteel concert.
    Saturday ... Same stage ... band contest .. no microphones.
    Saturday night ... Brass Band Aid All Star concert - microphones
    Sunday entertainment contest - no microphones.

OK, I appreciate that at some of the bigger outdoor do's, it can be necessary to help carry the sound but do we really need them indoors?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- was the music being broadcast throughout the camp for the concerts?

3. Di

Di Active Member

To be honest, I'm not sure since I was in the hall. ;) But it was being played IN the hall through the speakers.

4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I didn't hear any music through the camp

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A fair few classical concerts are PA'd - Classic FM's concerts from the RAH are a case in point...

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My reasoning is that if the concerts were paid gigs, Butlins would want to maximise exposure to it's happy campers. Did the chalets have any radios that could be switched on to listen to any live music that went through their P.A.?

7. Jasper

Jasper Member

....or maybe there was a prior agreement to record the concerts and not the contests ???

8. Di

Di Active Member

They have "Butliins TV" but again, I was in the hall so I don't know if it was on there or not. I'm only using this as a "for instance" as, using the same hall, 2 events used them and two not. I've heard and played in other indoor band concerts with the use of microphones too.

9. Di

Di Active Member

Good point. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the sound needs to be transmitted in the hall though.

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Was there parts of the weekend getting recorded for the radio maybe?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    microphonesSunday
    PolySteel
    Butlins
    stage
    aid of microphones
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe it was just to avoid colouration and compression of amplified sound for the purpose of adjudication that the P.A. wasn't used for the contests?

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think the main reason was probably that in the evening concerts the sound had to carry over the hubbub of conversation, ordering at the bar etc, whereas during the contests everyone was quiet and concentrating on the performance itself. It was certainly rather disconcerting at first, particularly where the soloists were concerned.

14. Veri

Veri Member

Well, the amplification didn't really work for the Celebrity Band! I couldn't really hear them properly.

15. winterman

winterman Member

Can I categorically state that I have not influenced any of the playing over the weekend as I was not there, so cannot really comment on whether I would be a good thing or a bad thing? Though i suspect the latter! :D

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Considering that someone decided it would be a good idea to "mic-up" Polysteel on Friday (when it probably didn't need it) although it was certainly a better balance than for the same concert given by Ransome last year - it was a pity that the system in Jaks didn't do justice for Grimestein.

There were so many people in there (11.30 and plenty of beer drunk) that it was difficult to hear Stan Lippeat let alone the band. What a pity as it seemed to be a great show. All we really got was some top class players swaying in shorts and didn't get to hear what was going on. Once it was apparent that you weren't going to hear them the room noise level just increased.

The same act given at Pontins by the Bavarian Stompers keeps a much bigger room enthralled all night. No critisim implied of the band just poor sound system I think.

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I would say it was for exactly this reason. Would anyone have heard Steve Sykes' solo had it not been mic-ed up? Although bands always sound a bit odd when put over a sound system like this, from where we were sitting (middle of the room, about 3/4 of the way back) it was as good as I've heard, and a fair compromise given that its hardly realistic to expect people to sit in reverant silence like they would during the contests, on a night out. That said, there were some awful feedback problems during Stan's opening solo during his Stan and friends show on Saturday night. Judging by the looks of the confused and concerned, frantically button pressing, Redcoats in the gallery at the back, they were trying to sort it, but sadly it seems they failed for Stan. Although it was OK for everyone after that.