To go Mini, or not?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ozzielover, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Ozzielover

Ozzielover New Member

Hello all you lovely blowers, have any of you played, or do you own a travel tuba? I am looking to get one and want to know if they are a nice blow, do they sound as good as a full size? and does anyone make one apart from Wessex? Any opinions or advice will be gratefully received. :D
  2. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Dear Ozzielover (whatever that means)

I am no expert but had a blow on the Bb version on a trade stand not long ago and would liken the experience to that of blowing down a weasel.

You will need to have a go yourself and form your own opinion.

Mine is that it will never sound like the full sized version.

But that it would be unrealistic to expect it to do so as it was tiny (baritone sized)

Bob (rubbish on any Bb bass)
  3. Ozzielover

Ozzielover New Member

Thankyou Bob,
    as I said any opinion is gratefully received..
    I will see if I can get a trial on one before I buy.
    Ozzielover means that I love Ozzie.
    Ozzie is the name I gave my full size Eflat Bass at the age of 12 when got him
    I still play him now, he's my best mate.
  4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I think Wessex import them rather than make them, but that's not to say you'll get the same thing if you buy something that looks the same from somebody else.

Tuba sizes have grown (in bell diameter) over the years but smaller (student type) ones were available from Wessex and John Packer, they might be an alternative for you to consider too. If new isn't important to you then smaller bell Tuba's come onto ebay from time to time.
  5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Interesting subject, in my experience, it is of no doubt that in these matters, size really does matter.
  6. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Personally I have never tried blowing down a weasel so I wouldnt know. I have however tried blowing a baritone and the experience left me traumatised.....
    I also had a go on the mini Bb Bass at Butlins - for a cheap instrument it was OK - probably a bit easier to manage on things like Whit Friday....