To buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SuperCat, Jul 24, 2006.

1. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Hi Guys,
    Just wondered whether anyone has any comments on the Prestige Euphoniums. I'm thinking of upgrading from a Sovereign but had heard a couple of bad reports on the Prestige - problems with valves I think??

Can anyone recommend the Prestige? I heard that Steven Mead was designing a new instrument for Besson but don't know if thats just rumours or whether its to replace the Prestige.

Thanks,

Supercat

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi Guys
    anyone
    couple
    reports
    rumours
  3. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Im not euph player, but I have great expiriences with the new Yamaha Xeno Cornet/trumpets and I think you should try out their new pro euphonium...

4. pdj

pdj Member

I do not play the euph but sitting on solo baritone and and seeing our solo euph player and his prestige euph, he seems to have trouble with his valves. It seems to be hit and miss but he often takes them out to clean during the rehersal cos they seem to stick on the way back up. Dont know if its the euph or valve oil he uses. The 2nd euph player has an older sov and doesnt have as much dificulty. Hope it helps.

5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Hmmm. Fantastic instrument, lovely sound, very fast valve action! Problem is with reliability and consistency, I've been having some problems with my valves, but I think the solution is just to book it in with Rosehill Instruments for a repair, which I hope should be covered by the warranty!

6. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Again I am not a Euph player but having spoken to a few of my Euph playing friends they have all tried the Prestige and consiquently change to using the Yamaha Custom or Maestro as they find them a far superior Instrument and don't have the problems with valves as on the Prestige

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I occasionally have a little trouble with my 2nd valve, but that is most likely down to me never bothering to wash it :oops: . It is a fantastic instrument, looks lovely and sounds fantastic too (well...not when I'm playing it, but still!) Not exactly cheap but I'd definitely say it's worth it :tup

8. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

Prestige

My husband has a Prestige Euphonium - he bought it in 2001 - and hasn't had any problems with it - lovely sound (but then he'd make a lovely sound on any instrument). I've just asked him what he thinks about it and asked whether a Sovereign would be better - he said that's a difficult question to answer.

He's had a couple of problems with his valves just recently being a bit sticky - but not really any more than his old euph which he had for absolutely donkey's years. I think just at the moment though, with the hot weather, lots of people are having problems with their valves, so this may not be a true reflection of whether the valves are a problem.

I had a brand new Sovereign Euph about 10 years ago, and the valves on that took about a year to bed in. At least Roger didn't have a problem working his valves in with the Prestige. :tup :tup :tup

9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I brought mine around the same time and although it was a slight second (so slight none of us could actually work out what was wrong with it!) i've never had any problems with it really. The valves have always been super fine :) tho the trigger went thru a stage of just randomly falling off but the boys at trevada fixed that for me no problem :)

Having spent most of last year practically living at the music shop with two fellow Euph players it seems that the newer Euphs (2002+) have experienced problems, the aformentioned dodgy valves and the occasional rattle! No problems with mine tho very pleased :)

10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

My sister and brother-in-law are the euphonium section at my band and both play Prestige euphs. Although, the tuning trigger on my sisters, the bit that 'twiddles' is always falling out!! Held togeher by a hair bobble at the mo I think!!

11. sugarandspice

She needs to get the little plastic swrewy bits on the inside replaced. Its somethign to do with the threads wearing out? And make sure when it falls of you put it back on the right way round........I didnt, which is why it kept falling off!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi Guys
    anyone
    couple
    reports
    rumours
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Might be worth mentioning that officially speaking, Prestige instruments are no longer available since Besson went to the wall. I am sure that some dealers may still have some though. Also, somebody has mentioned something about a warranty. If I not mistaken, if a company goes bust, all warranties are null and void. Exactly the same if you bought a brand new Rover car about 18 months ago; the car will be new but the warranty would not be honoured.

I don't do any brass band euphonium playing, but do do a little 'fingers' stuff with orchestras. In my experience, the Yamaha is by far the better instrument, and you can also get one with a cast iron warranty!

14. sugarandspice

Oooh Oooh Oooh, Has anyone looked at Virtuosso instruments ( i think thats the correct name of the guys company?)

The boys had a long interesting chat with the nice man at weston and we all tried his Euphonium out, Personally it wasnt for me but the boys liked it :)

15. Bass Trumpet

For more information on these, send a PM to Shawneuph. Shawn Pagington runs the company and is also our band manager. I haven't tried one of his euphs yet, but they certainly look quite good. Perhaps not quite up to a professional standard, but certainly a good option for those on a budget.

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Has anyone heard about the "Stirling Virtuosi" euphonium? I read some very good things about it on a Dutch website, but I can't find anything else about it on the net.

17. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. A shop near me has a Prestige and the price seems quite fair which is why I was thinking of one.

My friend plays on the Sterling and I think Michael Dodd from Grimethorpe Band is the clinician or whatever! Over the last few months she had some probs with valves but think thats sorted now. I think she rates the instrument though.

Now Besson are manufacturing again - does anyone know if they have they started doing euphs and are they any good???

Cheers,

Supercat

18. Bass Trumpet

Ha ha. I think there was a thread on here a while ago about the band movement's so-called 'clinicians'. What I want to know is; does anybody ever attend the clinic and what's the prescription? :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think the prescription is; two spoonfuls of self-importance twice a day!

Hope you find a nice euph. Mine's given me 14 years of enjoyment and I wouldn't swap it for anything.

19. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

www.sterlingbrass.co.uk and its the Sterling Virtuoso. The site has a list of distributors. Being from Yorkshire, I want to know how much do they cost!!!!

20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

That may be the reason why I didn't find any information ;)