To all teachers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Maestro, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Can you please help me?

I have heard mentioned a music programme that has been used in schools called 'Dance Ejay'.

I myself have not heard of this programme, but if any teachers out there have, could you please let me have some more information on it?

All I know about this is that you can apparantly mix tracks. I have also heard that it has been mentioned by some exam boards.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Dance Ejay is wicked! Good for getting the rebels on board. However it is deceptive, kids think they are actually composing when all they're doing is click/ drag. They do have to organise samples to fit and sound good but I really don't find it's suitable for GCSE.

I used it in my last school for KS3 but in my new school I have Acid Pro- much better, more professional and they are able to use their own samples.

Dance Ejay is good and loads of fun. Think they're only about £35 a copy- I got a site licence with my e learning credits though!
  3. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Dance Ejay's pretty good, Ours schools got it and it's alright for getting everyone into music more, but it's pretty useless at gcse level...... that's when we're forced to use cubase and sibelius!
  4. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

Yeah, I echo whats said above. Basically it involves organising 'lego blocks' of pre-produced bass/drum/rap solos into sections, some blocks are 4 bars long, some 8, etc., and by layering them on top of each other you can 'produce' some cheesy meaningless tack!

We have it purely for kids who want to mess around on the computers, but dont use it in lessons- and certainly not at GCSE (although i think OCR do allow for it, with minimum marks awarded if used in composition).

If you have £20 quid to spare, then its fun to mess around on- but its no substitute for doing it yourself, and is just deceiving kids into thinking theyre musical (who would then struggle at GCSE level!)

Sorry if this doesnt make complete sense, last day of term today, just spent 5 hours in the pub!

5. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Its absolutely rubbish... Any fool can click and drag... You cant actually compose any original work, you just take samples and put them together like building blocks... Its a waste of time and money...