To all Cornet PLayers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Feb 14, 2006.

?

Cornet of Coice

Poll closed Feb 19, 2006.
  1. Yamaha Maestro

12.7%
  2. Yamaha Xeno

29.1%
  3. Besson Sovereign

18.2%
  4. Besson Prestige

5.5%
  5. Courtoire

3.6%
  6. Other

30.9%
  1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

What if money was no object would your choice of cornet be

Mine is the Yamaha Maestro

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mine
    Maestro
    Yamaha
    Cornet PLayers
    choice of cornet
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

An old (i.e. well built) Sovereign I reckon. Never liked Maestros, played 3 or 4 and they've all played like they've got a pork pie stuck in them.

4. megasop2000

megasop2000 New Member

Smith Watkins... just the job!!
    Has to be the nicest cornet I have ever tried, but sadly a price to match, and as money is an object I'll stick to my Maestro, had it for years and its never let me down!!

5. GingerMaestro

It's all down to the player behind the Maestro jonesy
    Fill the cornet not just the mouthpiece

Only joking

6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Just changed to the Xeno and love it. Had a presitge before and had nothing but trouble with it, don't think RW checked any of the ones I had before they left the workshop :oops:

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

I think someone had filled the pipes with concrete before I got a chance to fill them with air :tongue:

Simply never liked them, just a personal thing. Would like to try a Xeno, though.

I know someone who spent £3500 on a Smith Watkins. I'm sure they're lovely but as you say megasop2000.... that's some serious money! :eek:

8. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Money no object?? Got to be the Smith-Watkins. Wanted to try one in Gwent a few weeks ago, but i didn't want the kids in my youth band to hear how bad i really am!! Compared it to the Xeno, and there was no competition!!
    Agree with Jonesy, the older Sov's are great, Maestro's are not great instruments. Don't think anyone in the band likes them.

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

Smith Watkins every time for me

Not Sure what extras he ^ was paying for for £3,500 !!

Not sure why - if money was no object - people are still going for the Maestro, when the Xeno is in a different class ( in my humble opinion )

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Yeah it's not just the playability, but also the fact that when you pick one up you know you're holding a piece of quality engineering! I want something a bit chunky and with a bit of weight in it, rather than a light flimsy thing. The one I'm using right now must be 15 years old or more.

What sets the Smith-Watkins apart? I must say I've heard so many good things that I might just have to have a bash on one.

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Interchangeable lead pipes. Still, a lot of money!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mine
    Maestro
    Yamaha
    Cornet PLayers
    choice of cornet
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Xeno gets my vote of the newer instruments. Tried the Smith Watkins thought it was nothing special and not as nice as my 25 year old Sovereign. Maestro and Prestige make nice paperweights though. ;)

14. GingerMaestro

If the Maestro makes a nice paper weight the the Xeno can double as a door stop

And the sovereign as a fishing weight

I'm not bitter that you don't like Maestro's:biggrin:

15. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

The new Xeno without question. After 7 years of playing on a Courtois 106 I traded it in earlier this year and got a new silver plated Xeno and it's superb. Very very happy with it.

16. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Incidentally - under the category of "other" - has anyone tried out the new range of Wilson cornets? I think they're called the "Celebration" range..... or something like that. I had a shot of a couple at Rosehill Instruments and was very impressed.

17. megasop2000

megasop2000 New Member

I know what you mean about build quality of older Sovs, Ive had a Sovereign Soprano for years (the one with the tuning slide in the wrong place!!) its about 20 years old now and its built like a tank, and feels heavier than my Maestro.
    As for the Smith Watkins, I tried one a couple of years back just to see what all the fuss was about. The instrument just looks, feels and sounds quality. It was very easy to blow and produced a gorgeous big sound. The intonation felt secure throughout the entire range and I just loved it. Give one a go, and see what you think.
    But until I win the lottery, the maestro will have to do. I am tempted to try the Xeno... Maybe I will ask Yamaha if they will give me a free upgrade!!!

18. persins

persins Member

It depends on how good the individual instruments are!
    I have access to a Lg Bore Maestro, Courtois 106XL and a Sovereign 927 (sister's really).

My Maestro is brilliant and very free blowing although previous comments seem to suggest that other maestros may not be so good!

I am just about to return the Courtois to the band.

Sovereigns can be excellent when you have a good one but the consistency is a problem.

Same with the prestige. Some are great, others really aren't.

I've only played the Xeno once but it was the clear winner for me. Perhaps I got lucky and tried a good one, but it was certainly outstanding when I played it.

I have heard reports however that they perform completely differently depending on the finish.

I think it's far too simplistic to just make a sweeping generalisation about which one is best as all will vary greatly when compared with supposedly another one of the same. Having said that, my pick is the Xeno. I just want to find a good one and the cash to get it now!!

19. GingerMaestro

Don't do it don't let them draw you into thier evil trap

I haven't really got Xeno-phobia:eek:

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Still playing the Sovereign 928 I bought in 1989. Superb instrument, they don't make them like that anymore.

Actually, they don''t make anything anymore but that's another thread. About the only thing that would tempt me away would be a xeno, purely based on the number of people that have recommended it. I've yet to have a blow on one so we'll see..

21. andyp

andyp Active Member

A 15+ year old large bore silver-plated Sovereign 928, which is what I have now (band's instrument!).
    So far I haven't blown a modern cornet that compares. Bit like older cars, the metal's thicker, and it just feels better quality, although I take the point that I've probably got a very good example, the valves are fantastic. I did have a Cortois for 18 months or so, but still prefer the Sovereign . The Cortois cases are superb, though, much better than the plasticky Besson cases!
    I would rather give an old Sovereign a complete overhaul and re-plate, than buy a modern cornet, and I really don't like the modern valves, with the plastic cross-piece things that you can put in backwards...........
    Would like to try a Xeno, though, just to see If they're as good as the hype suggests.

22. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

I'm currently trying to decide what cornet to buy in a few months when I have saved money. I still need to try a xeno, at the moment that would be my 1st choice although I also want to try a courtois. If money was no object I would definitely get a Smith Watkins or get taylor or eclipse do a custom made job.