tMP's postcard from the Whits

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sunny_jimbob, Jun 10, 2006.

1. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Awesome. Simply awesome. The whole of Delph singing Always Look On The Bright Side OF Life to us? That'll stay with me for years! I got home at 3.40am. Zoinks! I've got loads of photos which I'll upload as soon as a) I've found the lead for my camera and b) I've been through the photos and filtered them...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Always Look On The Bright Side OF Life
    Delph
    Whits Awesome
    tMP
    Zoinks
  3. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Have to agree, with sunny_jimbob, it was just fantastic, my first tMP job and what a time we had! Excellent company made the night just an excellent experience.
    Well done for an amazingly cheesy arrangement of Monty Python classics to march to:clap: :clap: :clap:
    I will do bass drum next time, honest!!!!!!!!!
    One question, did Ian surface this morning? :tongue:

Right, I think I need to go and recover............................

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nah - don't bother! Stick them all up for everyone to see! ;)

An excellent day yesterday - just got home - a 3 hour drive after only 3 hours sleep is not much fun I tell you!

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Oooh I saw you! Well your band :p It was well good!

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sounds as though everyone had a brilliant time yeah. That's so good to hear, very sorry I couldn't make it with you all yesterday - please accept my sincere apologies.

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

No worries John - we 'flew the tMP flag' in your absence!

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

What time did you hit Delph, then?

I was indoctrinating my not-quite-three-year-old, so I had to leave early...

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Errrm- I don't know, sorry! Must have been around 9.30/10-ish? i'll call the Chinese restauarant which twigglet managed to get us in for drinks (for the second year running - Elin, you're a legend!!!) for confirmation!

On a serious note - a huge message of thask to Roger for his superb organisation for the day, and to Di for organising the awards given out to the tMP Band (more about this later I guess) and to Robert (brasscrest) for his kind donation towards the awards.

Many, many thanks guys.

10. KMJ Recordings

Missed you by 4 or 5 pints then - I left at about 8.15 ;)

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Haha! So it wasn't just us measuring the day in 'pints' as opposed to hours then? ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Always Look On The Bright Side OF Life
    Delph
    Whits Awesome
    tMP
    Zoinks
  13. KMJ Recordings

I was very well behaved :D

:pig

14. Arwel

Arwel New Member

Arwel

Hope u had fun last night only heard about mouthpiece.com couple of days ago when Dylan Huws told me hope u had some prizes and didnt drink 2 much :cool:

15. I got one question to all those who played in the tMP band yesterday... why did you not turn up at Greenfield?:confused: I was at Greenfield at night, watching every band march down the street to read the board, incase I missed you. And you didn't even turn up. :( :eek:

16. pale_rider

pale_rider New Member

Thanks to all in the tMP band for a superb introduction to Whit Friday. Particular thanks to Roger for leading, and for a superb road march. The crowd reaction at Delph was quite something! I've told The Boy to write next year's date in my diary so I can keep it free for a reprise!

Thanks again
    Geoff

17. Di

Di Active Member

Hiya Geoff. Glad to see you had such a great time. It was certainly a fantastic evening wasn't it.

Oh by the way, I've never seen my lil girl dropped so quickly! :biggrin:;):clap:

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Oops...:roll:

Yes I did thankyouverymuch mostly due to a rude and insulting voicemail message from Roger ;) . Actually it was quite early for me - I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. And to anyone who saw me this morning, I always look that rough in a morning, beer or no beer. Honest. :wink:

Seriously though - huge thanks to Roger, who was a star all night - runner, conductor, organiser. Superb job mate :clap: Also pats on the back should go to Di, for organising the award trophys, Robert for his kind donation and the award recipiants - Natalie for a very well deserved Player of the Day and Osian for an equally well deserved Split of the Day. He was obviously very keen to win this award as the winning parp came after we'd played barely six bars of the very first march! :)

All in all it was a great night, it was great to meet people; the playing standard was excellent - after only about 40 minutes on Knight Templar in the Worlds hottest rehearsal room, I was stunned by how good the band sounded when I sat the first contest out. Good work from everyone.

Delph was legendary. I thought it was the band singing to start, but then I realised the singing was coming from the sides of the road. Amazing.

19. Di

Di Active Member

Hehe, I'm glad Roger got the blame for that one! Twas me that made the call, but I threw the phone at Roger as soon as it starting ringing, forcing him to be the one that did the talking. Sneaky huh? ;)

I'd also like to thank Roger for organising the music, route, running. :clap:

And we couldn't have done it without all you guys. Its always great to turn up to any tMP event and always see a few new faces. Whats even better is going to the next event and seeing those faces again. :)

I'd like to add my thanks and congrats to Rogers for the standard of the playing. To get players covering all sections, from all over the country to rehearse for what, 15/20 minutes? and to play like we did was fantastic. Thanks a lot guys and gals, you certainly did the tMP name proud and created a fair bit of interest along the way. :)

20. Di

Di Active Member

Oh and Tim? Sorry for pulling the school ma'am act on and dragging you up the street in Delph. :tongue:;)

21. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I certainly echo Di's comments above, without the members of tMP giving up their precious time we can't even start to organise these types of events. This year probably saw more 'new' members attending a tMP event than any other time, which is fantastic news for the tMP team, and having talked to you all during the course of the day its reassuring to hear that you all want to come back and do it all over again next year.

The playing standard was exceptional and to produce five good performances on only a few minutes rehearsal is certainly a credit to you all. The highlight for me this year has to be the road march at Delph. To hear a couple of thousand people singing 'Always look on the bright side of life' after the band had stopped playing will live with me for many years. I also think it raises the issue that if we are to capture the imaginations of the general public and raise the profile and image of the 'Brass Band' we do have to resort to entertaining them with 'cheesey' arrangements of popular tunes. But for now let's save that argument for another thread.

I now wait in anticipation of the arrival of my 'turnip and tattie' Cornish Pasty from the Cornish contingent who travelled a very long way to experience their first Whit Friday March. Thanks guys, you were all superstars.
    Congratulations to Natalie for winning the 'Player of the day' Award. A fantastic young Sop player who I would imagine will have a great future in the banding world to look forward to.

Once again folks, a big, big thank you from me for your continued commitment which certainly makes the organising of this, and other events, even more worthwhile. It is really nice to meet up with new members and old friends and I hope it's not too long before we all meet up again.

Thank you

Roger.

;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  22. Di

Di Active Member

Ooops sorry, must have missed this one earlier. For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, not functioning fully today. :tongue:

Anyhoo, I'd say it was a pleasure but .... well, we were sooo close to having to resort to a plan B. To say we almost panicked a little on Friday morning when Ian and myself arrived at the shop, (with only about 40 minutes to play with between collecting the trophies and picking up Vicki from her exam and getting to the station to meet Chris from the train) and the trophies hadn't arrived let alone been engraved. :eek: We shot across to the school to meet Vicki, and back to the shop, still no trophies. So Plan B was to choose some medals and some "alternative" Blue Peter style awards. (Roger may be able to help out with visuals here ;)). We were choosing the medals when a courier arrived. The chap opened the box only to find it wasn't the delivery we were waiting for, but no sooner had the courier got to the door than another one arrived. This time it was our goodies. Bang on 10 am, the chosen "if they don't arrive by... " time before shooting off. So we killed 15 minutes while they were engraved, picked them up and shot off to the station (hmm, sorry we were a few minutes late Chris. :redface:).