TMP Workshop for Learner's !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nook1938, Aug 27, 2006.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I have never seen another Thread on the subject, but there is a TMP Band which players from all across the country attend, would it not be a possibillty to organise a Workshop in different locations to encourage learners to join the movement, even if the Band in the area can not attract learners it does not mean that the following that Tmp has in the Banding Fraternity could not suceed and I am sure that local Bands would lend out instruments, if in the long term they might get the learners.

It would be a Publicity drive to bring in the next players of the future and I am sure some TMP's would give up their time to help. Me included [before someone ask's].

John

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TMP Workshop for Learner
    Tmp
    TMP Band
    TMP Workshop
    learners
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Great idea John, but organising the tMP Band for a one off performance alone is a difficult task, let alone trying to do it in various towns and cities around the country. However, the tMP Team are discussing similar options in great detail ie: organising Summer Schools/Workshops etc. but this is for existing players not 'raw' beginners.

Thinking about your idea though and taking it one step further, there is no reason why tMP couldn't support a campaign to get ALL BANDS around the country on 'A Recruitment Drive'. If you think about it most Cities, Towns and Villages already host a Brass Band so the 'resources' are already in place.

I'm sure your post will bring many ideas from our members and the tMP Team and if this could be achieved I would certainly be prepared to lend my support.

Good post John, Thank you.

;)

4. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

sounds like a great idea. There are many adults out there frustrated that they gave up their chance at music in their youth, that aren't aware that bands will lend out instruments. Publicity is the key. How to let these people know

5. nook1938

I was not thinking of a one off Workshop, like a once yearly event, but more of a "Workshop" where the leaners can achieve a standard of joining a Band, I think the community Halls and local councils will help if aproached and if it can be proven that young people are in the hands of Qualified Adults than a Lottery Grant can be applied for.

John

6. robcornet

robcornet Member

I think this is a great idea because when I started playing with a local band I had only been playing a couple of months and found it very hard fitting into a band at a low standard. I have now been playing 3 years and play for 2 band on a regular basis, but find it hard learning of other players in a rehearsal as they are concentrating on their own playing. Having said that I have not met a bander that won't advise and help when they can. We need to encourage youngsters to take it up!!

7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Pendennis youth band are holding an open rehearsal on september 9th in order to incourage new players in. They have always had a thriving youth section- i am a product of the 1st one that was held 10 years ago. :)eek: i feel so old writing this!)

I think although Nook's idea is a fine one i think it the responsibility of the bands themselves in the area to invest in there future and encourage youngsters to play..........or people like me in schools inflicting brass onto the children till the cows come home....... I can't see how Tmp could really impliment this as there are a number of things that do need to be considdered. Instruments mainly, its great to have a youth band, but they do all need instruments and not all bands have a wide range of spare ones going. Pendennis seem to be lucky at the moment on that front, hence the open day.
    There is also issues these days concearning child protection laws etc which could be a hassle if trying to organise such an event? However, these issues aside, youth/training bands are great and definatelty the way forward for the brass banding movement.

However, i do very much like the sound of the workshops for existing players, providing they weren't all confined to "up north"! :)

8. nook1938

There are Policy's set out for Child Protection, within the Brass Band Movement, I have one on my Computer which as been used by a Wind Band to obtain instruments and music etc.

The other point: a Workshop for existing players, I am not looking to set something up where the players of today will get the benefit, this is solely for the players of tomorrow, this is what we need " some new blood" or people who have given up but want to restart.

I have read in the Threads about the comments regarding the Music Centre's etc, well this is a good chance to entice the players away into the Brass Band World, it is no good moaning "we cannot get leaners, they go to the Music Centres" when nothing is done to encourage them to try out a Brass instrument in a local band, when the local band might put a advert on the internet or put something in the paper now and again, there is no concerted effort to encourage learners, but this project, if it gets off the ground will.

John

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One way it could work is if a venue could be chosen in a pre-selected area where interest from players is guaranteed and that a 'band-for-a-day' could be assembled (hoping that there is not too much an imbalance between parts). Light concert items could be selected that would bridge various abilities and established tMP teachers/'celebs' could give advice and rehearse sections during the day. All would mass together for a concert later on for players to perform. If it is an 'open day', the public could be invited along to see how brass bands 'work'.

10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

WOW!! we're having a summer workshop? or is it just an idea at the moment? can I come pretty please? :tongue:

11. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Im in a similar situation - I stopped playing when i was around 16, but once my two (playing) sons had flown the coop was persuaded to take up in the movement again. i started playing in Greenfields trainer band just less than two years ago and have made the transition to the main band, and like Robconet its hard to learn in that situation - my sight reading is particularly ropey!

Id love an opportunity like this, the chance to progress a bit more and build up the confidence without worrying about dragging the rehearsal back cos you dont know something or cant get the hang of a passage.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TMP Workshop for Learner
    Tmp
    TMP Band
    TMP Workshop
    learners
  13. robcornet

robcornet Member

sight reading is my problem at the minute, I sometimes feel stupid asking questions of more experienced players but just think they had to learn at one point unless they were born with an instrument in their hands. Maybe some sort of work sheets online might be an idea to improve players sight reading. There must be some music teachers out there who could setup modules in music reading etc.

14. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I personally wouldn't view these procedures as a hassle!:)

15. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

sight reading isnt a problem provided you take parts home and practise. next rehearsal, it's right.