TMP weight loss self-help club

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Mann, Jan 3, 2009.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

BBM started a thread on post-Christmas blues and one of the themes that emerged was people's desire to lose some weight. I set myself the target of losing 20kg to get me to a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25, which is considered healthy for most people. To calculate your BMI take your weight in kg, divide by your height in metres then divide by your height again so:

Weight in kg 109.5, divide by height in m 1.9 = 57.63, divide again = 30.3

I should state that there are many diets, clubs and methods to enable weight loss and if in doubt about your need to lose then consult your GP.
    The idea of the thread is to report your targets, successes, lapses, hints and tips.

I have managed to lose 0.5kg, only 19.5 to go!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Although I share your desire to lose some weight (or a lot, depending on whether you believe my wife) I would never take notice of my BMI. It was a system worked out around a University Marathon team and has no place in the 'real world'. Take any England rugby player, they are obese according to their BMI, but I dare anyone to say so to their faces. And there is no secret to losing weight, eat less, exercise more.
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Slimming World-style diet (which actually boils down to healthy eating with much less bread and dairy produce) and for me...when I remember / have time :hammer
  4. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

98.4kg divide by 1.8m = 54.67 divide by 1.8m = 30.37
    So I need to get rid of 20kg too (under 13 stone from my current 15+)

Is there a Guinness and kebab diet anywhere? (apart from the one I'm already on of course!!)

Serious stuff actually isn't it. Two stone's a good chunk overweight (if you take the BMI system as gospel of course).
  5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

My mum swears by the weight watchers points diets.

Someone else I know actually went on the points diet and figured out how many pints of guiness he could have in a day.... without eating!
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

Agree about BMI not so relevant for people with a lot of muscle mass, but I'm not in that category.
    And of course weight loss is just about calories burnt being more than calories taken in, but that's like saying giving up smoking is only about not having the next one. People do better by setting, recording and monitoring goals in weight loss as in many other fields.
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

If you can get through the first few weeks successfully then it will get easier, your stomach gets used to less intake and so do you. You can make it become a habit to eat "sensibly" and have the occasional treat. Same with excercise, if you don't overdo it at first, you may not get put off by the inevitable initial discomfort. And again it is habit forming.

Try and take up an activity you will enjoy rather than something that is a chore.
    I don't really "need" to lose any weight (would like to lose a few pounds though) but I feel the need to get fitter and have started to excercise more frequently.
    If anyone would like help or advice in starting some sort of regime/schedule I would be happy to help.
    If I could talk "Flugelman" into adding some comments on how he beacame half the man he used to be, that could help inspire a few people.
    I hope he does'nt mind me saying it - but he was a "big boy". And now he is a slim, fit (unfortunately still ugly - only joking Dave) young man, who runs regularly.
    His transformation culminated in him being converted from a big lad playing cornet, to a svelte adonis playing EEb bass - what more can I say!!! :D

Try and make you efforts last more than a few weeks (or days), I'm sure we will all feel better for it :D
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I need to put on some weight. Apparently I've been wasting away since I moved to London.

So I suggest that every time you look at a chocolate biscuit or cake, or a second serving of lasagne, you instead stick it in a tupperware box and post it to me. That way, everyone wins.
  9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

Lost 1.5 kg this week, back at work, all Christmas goodies finished off!
  11. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Does this thread mean posters have to do a weekly weigh in then? And get slapped/applauded according to the results...
    Count me out :>( I would only lie!!
    I just have this image of Little Britain in my head - I love Margery.

ps my BMI is 24 which is ok but it would be nice to be lower!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Oh Steve, I am truly inspired, give me the formula to become a svelte Adonis - please, please, please !
    When Flugelman and I (What a dream EEb Bass team ) make our presence felt at the Area, I will endeavour to "add weight" to his admirable artistry.
    - Wilkie ( Strict diet of Beer and Chips from Monday !!)
  13. steve butler

Oh Ian, don't be so coy, you know how I lust after your firm muscled thighs. Even now I close my eyes and can still feel each sinew and line of muscle definition throbbing through your polyester practice trousers! Flugelman is indeed a fine specimen, but does he appreciate your finer points like I do?
    I think not.

PS just polished off a box of Roses truffles left over from Crimbo, now feel sick and very guilty. Let that be a lesson to all you dieters out there!
  14. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I've just finished a Caramel buscuit and cream Haagan Dazs. When it comes to dieting, there are days when one just has to say **** it!
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I don't know about you feeling sick old Mate, but you certainly made me feel sick - Yukk !!!

- Y(Revolted)BB
  16. Di

Di Active Member

I lost 2lb last week. I've been having to work my way through the last box of mince pies and some choccy biscuits though, can't let them go to waste. ;)
  17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Does anyone have a Wii Fit - are they any good?
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I had an assessment at the gym this morning and it turns out that though I'm a bit overweight and a bit unfit, my main problem is dehydration! I drink too much coffee and red wine, and not enough water (or green tea - hmm, maybe not). They had some fancy scales with electrical contacts in them that can tell how much water is in your body by passing minute currents through you.

According to the guy doing the assessment if you're not properly hydrated it's much harder for your muscles to burn fat efficiently, or repair themselves properly after working out. So anyone who's thinking of dieting should maybe bear that in mind!
  19. David Mann

David Mann Member

Yes. Yes!
  20. steve butler

Did you lose 2lb looking for your lost £20 Di?
    Lets hope you don't find a few more pounds (lbs) in the biscuit tin :wink: