tMP - the way forward and some changes

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Haha Mike... hero eh! :):) Never been cited as a hero before...:)

I like your sense of humor though I have to say... :tup thanks.

2. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

What a suck -up!

3. TheMusicMan

He's only having a laff Mr Towse... where's your sense of humor!?

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Probably the same place as your missing 'U' in humour. ;)

(and I'd guess Mr Towse isn't, not with a first name of Donna.)

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi Rapier. Sharp as ever I see. :D

Donna you're only jealous because I got in first! ;)

You see, John, this is why you're my hero :woo:

6. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

just a quick question - I have no idea how much it costs to run this forum, but with the large number of supporters (or what seems like a large number) what happens to any extra money that is made (assuming there is any)?

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Extra money? You have to be joking! I don't know the actual costs per month but I do know that John puts a significant amount of his own cash into keeping tMP going. The money raised from our wonderful supporters and sponsors does not cover our running costs.

The nature of tMP requires dedicated servers and lots of bandwidth to survive (ie not cheap), so we're grateful for any financial assistance we're given. Of course, anyone who would like to contribute can contact us.

In the meantime I think we ought to remember that the voice tMP gives you is largely paid for from one mans pocket - John. Some people would do well to remember that sometimes. :)

8. themusicalrentboy

calm down, was an innocent question - like I said I had no idea how much it costs to run, and was just wondering that's all.

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Not sure why you think I'm anything but calm (trust me after a load of red wine nothing could bother me!)

But in truth the last bit of my post wasn't aimed at you but at some other people who seem to think that posting on tMP is some kind of right of theirs to either upset the apple cart with impunity or further their own self promotion. Simple fact of life is that is it not - tMP is funded by John and is run by his rules whether we like it or not.

10. TheMusicMan

Hehe, as Ian said Chris... I wish. The amount of money over the course of a year needed to fund tMP is significantly more than the amount I get in from tMP Supporters, it really is. There are also many hidden costs of which we don't speak about... for example, my costs for legal advice last year were closer to 4 figures than 2... how's that! Reason I mention this, is that Ian is spot on when he says there are some idiots on here who consider posting on tMP is exactly as he states... "some kind of right of theirs to either upset the apple cart with impunity or further their own self promotion." You really wouldn't believe the threats I have had! :)

To answer your question truthfully though, I can assure you that if there were money left over that I'd use it to purchase something that would go towards thanking every member of the tMP team for their superb effort over the last 7 years.

11. themusicalrentboy

thank you for your reply John, like I said, blissful ignorance led to that question - just wondered is all :tup

12. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Keep it up John - Ive been using webhosting for nearly 3 years now as well as been one of the very early members - ive seen a lot of stuff posted on here... thousands o other folks would have walked away - Johns kept it going - even if he DID make a profit, id say hes worth every last penny - all power to your arm tMM!

13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I'm havning trouble with the loading of this site. i belive that mr guiness has recently too. Any ideas?

14. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Me too. I've only just managed to log in after 30 mins of trying

15. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I am continuing to run very slowly on tMp. Been up and down over the last couple of days but very very slow right now. All other site's performing as normal for comparison.

16. brassbandmaestro

At this time of writing at 5.15amBST it loaded up ok. Will check when I come back from work at about 930am BST

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I've had no problems loging in at home (or on my mobile)...I'm wondering how much of a factor ISP is?

18. brassbandmaestro

Maybe the ISP could be a factor BBCBass. Seems to have no probs with loading at this time of writing though.

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Some ISP seem to be able to handle large bandwidths, some do not. I would be willing to guess those that can't would be quite quick at 5am...and then bog down during high traffic.

I had some problems with our last ISP where it was quite slow (at times), but we switched providers (and mobile phone companies) last December and I've had no problems with either since.

20. brassbandmaestro

I'm on BT internet. I would have thought that would be alright?