TMP, still the slowest Forum!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Rapier, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well I now have my brand new spakly 2 meg Broadband and tMP is still the slowest forum to access. Even with everthing set to minimum. Still, it is improved over the dial up connecetion.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

No problems here... an any style!! no problems on internet in work either, flies there too! Have you tried different styles?
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Use Firefox!
  4. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer, my explorers slow compared to using Firefox. Firefox is generally quicker!
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I use Firefox for tMP - it is like lightning now I've got 2 meg.
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Always been slowest of all forums I post to, and I use broadband. Interested to see how it performs on my other PC using Firefox or Netscape.

Any ideas why it is slow, sometimes it takes several seconds to generate a page? Sometimes the background image shows for a couple of seconds before the main content area is displayed.. sometimes I just get the background image.
  7. TheMusicMan

Very strange Dave... sorry you're experiencing these issues. I honestly see tMP fly and loads much faster than most www sites I visit. I have had some issues when we first moved across from our old hosting company and from phpBB, but I don't experience the issues you seem to be experiencing.

Hopefully Kepps or another of our teckie experts may be able to advise.:(
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have this problem too.... all sites are fine and then tmp is as slow as a slug...
  9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Shouldnt you be somewhere??
  10. chrisvine01

chrisvine01 New Member

..... as slow as the slowest slug. Even with broadband it takes ages to view
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I agree actually - I've noticed that tMP has slowed down dramatically over the last few days. After changing screens it can take 30 - 40 seconds to finish downloading. I'm using my connection from work (which is an IT company with a commercial ADSL connection and we are fairly speedy for everything else), rather than my dialup from home, which can take forever. I don't use any other forums to compare it with so I wouldn't have known it was slower, but I think it has slowed in the last few days from how it was.

It's still usable, but you have to be patient! Maybe it is something to do with all the graphics on each page?

BTW, I use Firefox too.

12. TheMusicMan

If you are experiencing these issues, can I ask a fav please. Would you go to a DOS prompt and type tracert and copy the text returned into a PM or email to me and I will open a support ticket with the datacentre and see what transpires.

13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

John I too have noticed it slowly down a bit these last few days (but it really could be the hamster in my computer getting tired....evry old puter!)
    I will do the above for you, but before I can I will need to be informed as to what a DOS prompt is and how I do one.
  14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

push the windows key and "r" at the same time, and type "cmd"
    use the mouse (tsk tsk) to go start -> Run and then type "cmd"

for anyone using win9x, type "command" instead of "cmd"

for anyone using linux/unix, you should know how to work a command line :)

incidentally, tMP is lightning fast here. We're just more advanced in Ireland :biggrin:
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

No noticeable slowdown over here across the sea, even at work, where I'm forced to use IE 5.5 instead of a real browser.

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

For some reason, tMP is back up to speed this morning. Excellent news!

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

tMP still takes around 30 seconds or more, to open any thread. Just a blue screen for ages. I've tried all the different options and am currently using Widescreen Clean mode. Any suggestions? (apart from Firefox or whatever) thanks. :)
  18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Get in to the habit of doing something that takes approximately 30 seconds every time you go to view a new page, that way you just won't notice the delay. :biggrin:

Another handy hint by your friendly neighbourhood 2md! Kapooow! :tongue:
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes, but there is such a thing as practicing too much! ;)
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I've just opened a new thread - 3 secs max to display. (using IE 6.0.2900, 1mb broadband, old pentium4)