tMP so slow!

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Rapier, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Still the same with all the avatars and pics turned off and in 'clean'. :(

2. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

John,
    For your peace of mind, I have to say things have speeded up as I write. I now suspect part of the blame for slowness is due to my server. When I called them this a.m. there was a 30-minute wait for problems to be answered, which suggests lots of other people were complaining, too.

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Thanks for that Brian.... :tup

4. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

yeah i've noticed for me it's when blueyonder's being a bit slow... thought the partial loading thing can be annoying when you're trying to comment, i think it's more to do with blueyonder than the site itself...
    xx

5. TheMusicMan

Hi All

I have been asked by my webhost support to ask that if you think you're on the end of sloooow performance, could you run the following test on your PC and then paste the results of that test into a PM to me;

Start > Run > cmd > tracert www.themouthpiece.com

I can then get the host to examine the results and report back any issues...

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  6. Brian Bowen

I know how to do "Start" and "Run" but after that I can't make sense of anything and my computer tells me the file cannot be found. I'm running on Windows 98.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think you have to type "dos" instead of "cmd" on windows 98 (but I'm not sure)

I also don't know if the "tracert" program is part of windows 98...

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

10. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

John-

For what it's worth, I have noticed that tMP often seems rather slow as well, both on my home and work computers (both of which have broadband connections). When I say slow I mean that it generally takes about 25 to 35+ seconds for a page to load. This is true whether it's the main forum page, or one for a single thread.

I have not used IE in a while, so I do not have an immediate comparison of Mozilla-based browsers vs. IE.

I have tried the various styles, and the less graphic-intensive ones are a little faster, but not enough to convince me that this is the main problem. More like reducing load time for a given page from maybe 35 seconds to 30 seconds or so. Similarly, I have just been observing my last several page loads and the ad servers also do not seem to be the problem - Mozilla downloads and draws the ads pretty quickly.

What really seems to be taking the most time is either the request to the server and the database for records, or else parsing them for display in the browser. I wonder if there's a problem with an index in your database, although of course the effect of that sort of problem should be global, not specific to some users.

I will forward the results of the tracer program as well.

-Lothian

11. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Useful tip:

If you type "tracert www.themouthpiece.com > temp.txt" the program will output to a small text file which you can copy and paste the results out of, or perhaps send to John directly as an attachment.

-Lothian

12. TheMusicMan

Thanks for this Lothian. I will ask around and see if there are any indexes I could add to improve things... although I am not seeing any of these performance issues here... pages load in under a sec for me... very strange...

13. Brian Bowen

I tried that and it produced (fleetingly) the following caption on a black background "Unable to resolve target system name www.themouthpiece.com."

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The tracert thing doesn't work for me. Should there be spaces etc?

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

once in cmd..... you type
    tracert www.themouthpiece.com
    there is a space between the first word and the URL ;-)

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

OK I can get that. Now how do I copy it, and what do I do with it when I have? That text hint above didn't do anything.

17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

heres mine john, saved it as an atachment thingybowatsit!

Attached Files:

18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I got told the other day of this website, (www.onspeed.com) offering faster dial-up by downloading software from them that compresses the website data (I think!) to make your internet connection faster.

Has anybody heard of this method or the company, does it work, any good? Mite help folk thats on dial-up, so you can see your tMP pages faster! :biggrin:

Think theyve just got broadband in Campbeltown, but as I live a couple miles out the town, theres no plans for it for a while, so was thinking of this solution, but thot Id ask before trying!! ;)

Cheers :tup

Willie

19. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Onspeed worked very well for me, I have broadband now, which means that I have trouble with the speed of TMP.
    Onspeed cost me 24.99 a year on my credit card and to stop payment, all I had to do was uninstall it.
    No hassle.
    Ideal for TMP, BUT it does make pictures (if you want it to) poor quality.
    I disabled the e-mail feature because of this.
    Overall 90% yes for speed and ease of use.
    10% no for picture quality, the faster you speed on speed up, but there is a good sliding scale V picture degradation graphic.

20. NeilW

NeilW Member

Something else that can greatly affect the performance of broadband is the MTU (Message Transmission Unit - I think!). Its the size that the data is packaged in....

Many ISP's provide clues as to what it should be set to but there's a generic version at
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/mtu.asp

There's no one "best" setting - it depends a bit on your (BT) exchange and the speed of your connection.

Neil.