tMP Server Restore - lost posts, threads and accounts sorry

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 11, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Update: We experienced an issue with our datacenter today folks when they accidentally deleted the tMP database. This meant that we had to do a system restore from our backups - the latest of which was made on 8th April. So, all posts, threads, new accounts, PM's sent and received since the 8th April have unfortunately been lost in the depths of the internet never to be seen again (unless some clever person can search googles cache and retrieve some of the better ones for me :)).

Everything is now back to as normal as I can get it, and no further posts or threads will be lost.

My sincere apologies to those new members who will come here and find they no longer have an account on tMP - maybe they will think they have gone mad... ;)

So, what happened...?

On 27th March we moved tMP onto our brand new dedicated server. On the same day I instigated a tMP domain name move from oneandone to my current domain name registrar - which oneandone disgracefully takes 7 to 9 days to complete. During these 7-9 days, the tMP database was scheduled to be kept on the shared sever location only while the domain name was moved to my current domain registrar, and thus propogated throughout the internet.

The tMP domain name propogated successfully from oneandone last week. Earlier this afternoon, my webhost unfortunately forgot that he had to move the database from the shared location onto the dedicated machine, and unfortunately deleted the (as he thought) unused tMP shared account from their servers. We know now that this was not the case as the tMP database was still residing on the shared space and so in deleting the database, tMp went offline and everyone started to experience Database Errors.

Why no backup...?
    I schedule a full service backup of tMP, every day at 03:00. Unfortunately, the tMP database (where all the threads, posts and member details are stored) resided at another location and as such - I had no idea that all backups I scheduled since the server move have not contained the tMP database. Although tMP backups were done daily when I was lilve on the shared server, backups from what the web host thought was the unused area are only done on a weekly basis, and the latest backup for my area was carried out on 8th April.

This turned out to be the most recent tMP database backup available, and is the one I had no choice but to restore tMP from... hence the loss of all data from 8th April to 16:30 today, 11th April.

I cannot apologise enough about this, and feel very guilty to our new members who won't be able to find their accounts.

What now...?
    I run a daily backup of everything on tMP, and am also in the process of purchasing additional backup services in the form of remote system backups - where an external service company performs another (offsite) backup of tMP and all our client accounts. This additional backup service will be live from the middle of next week.

So, all is now as back to normal as I can possibly get - what a traumatic afternoon that was. Very sorry for the inconvenience, and please, if you are aware of any family, friends or colluegues who you feel may have registereds with us since 8th April, please ask them to get in touch with me at john@themouthpiece.com where I will do my best to get them set up and live again on tMP.

John

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The tMP
    tMP domain
    tMP backups
    tMP Server
    service backup of tMP
  3. rutty

rutty Active Member

John, I think it might be possible to set up an ftp program to retrieve the database from your home PC at scheduled times. Might be a cheaper option than paying for a remote backup service. Would you like me to find out for you?

Obviously a paid-for service would be more convenient but there may be a free alternative. You'd just need to backup your backups to DVD every now and again.

*Edit*

OK, you'd need a linux machine somewhere running this, but it's quite easy I think:

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/mysqlscript.htm

I'll try and find a Windows alternative

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  4. TheMusicMan

Yes please Dave... can you PM the details pls...

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

What database product are you using John? Is it Oracle, SQL server, mySQL or what?

You cannot just lift the database files for these products as they are live and in the process of being updated. You will also need any database logs that have been generated, if you are running logging that is.

6. TheMusicMan

We use MySQL on tMP John.

7. Splitone

Splitone Member

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I was going mad when I looked at a thread and my entries had gone. Did I put them in, or was it just the early stages of madness. Thankfully I now know.

8. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Well done John, I bet that was quite traumatic and you lost some hair there. :)

Thanks for your hard work in restoring tMP. :D

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

That was an amazing piece of recovery work John. Well done and thanks. I think some of us realise that we could have lost everything, rather than just a few days!

Just goes to show how important it is having back-ups.

Now, have I said anything worth repeating...?

Probably not! :oops:

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Indeed, great recovery :clap:!! I remember loosing half an essay from my computer once...that was traumatic enough, I can't imagine what it would be like to loose tMP :eek:!!

Good luck with the future technology thingys.......:rolleyes::redface:!!