tMP reporting 'live' from Weston-Super-Mare Winter Gardens - Sunday 20th May 2007

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

tMP reporting 'live' from Weston-Super-Mare Winter Gardens - Sunday 20th May 2007

Following the success last year of tMP reporting live from Weston, we have had the honour of being invited back for more! tMP will be at the contest at Winter Gardens, Weston-Super-Mare running 'live' reports on bands' performances. If you want to know how your favourite band is doing or how they have played, then simply tune into tMP on Sunday for the news from the Weston contest live - as-it-happens.

We are also hoping to follow a similar routine, including on-stage photographs and information on your chosen test peices, as well as some additional details from the event when we are there!

What we are doing:
    As this is an own choice contest, we are unable to offer a full adjudication report based on the score - as, unlike the official adjudicators, we won't have any scores to be looking at and reading while any bands are playing. However, if anyone reading this knows that their band is attending, and you would like a review of your performance based on the score, then by all means bring along an additional copy (or Solo Ct. part), seek us out at the back of the hall sometime before you play on stage, tell us who you are - and I guarantee that we'll do our very best to provide this for you.

It is always good to know and to understand the basis on which opinions or ratings of a performance are constructed, as well as to receive and listen to relevant, pragmatic feedback in an attempt to ascertain how your band has played. We will therefore be offering our opinions immediately after each bands performance - some of which I am sure you will like, and some of which you probably won't like - based on the music, and on what we hear; and not on the technicalities of notes and other musical markings in the score etc. We will be reviewing performances and commenting on them based on a combination of:
    • the quality of the music played, and of what we actually hear
    • musical interpretation and expression, and the atmosphere created by the band
    • musical control, 'togetherness' of the band
    • quality of soloists (if there are any in the chosen test piece/music)
    • general band (and player) sounds, intonation and tuning
    • what we hear
    • professionalism of players on the stage
    • comments on the overall performance
    We simply can't be any fairer than that can we? Where else would you get the guidelines on how a performance is to be reviewed beforehand then eh!!

Please don't be offended if you don't agree with what we write. This will simply be a combination of a report of our opinions on how we felt the performance went on the day, and of what's happening at the contest - in an exciting and all new 'live' environment so that people can read what's going on. Please forgive us for any hiccups or technical hitches we may experience as this is a first for us - and a first for banding.

Please wish us luck in the same manner as we wish all bands who are competing in the contest the very best of luck for a superb performance. Make sure you don't leave your best performance in the bandroom eh!!! Here's to a great WSM...!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  2. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Good Luck John!
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Good Luck With this years contest. You did a grand job of it last year:tup
  4. TheMusicMan

Thanks Martin - appreciate your kind words.

Don't forget - those who are going - please remember if you want a live report of your performance to appear on tMP as you are playig - then you need to bring along a spare Solo Ct part or spare Score for us to refer to when you are playing.

Last year was a wonderful success and we hope to improve on the coverage for this year with additional photographs, perhaps some interviews and maybe even a podcast or two... who knows...:)
  5. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Any one know what bands are playing at Weston on the 20th?
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure people know, but they won't be posting it on here as it is against tMP policy to reveal Own Choice pieces in advance.
  7. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Let me rephrase my question, does anyone know the bands attending Weston?
  8. Veri

Veri Member

....and does anyone know the timings - specifically, what time do the 2nd section, and 1st sections kick off??

I haven't been to Weston since 2002 I think, and am really looking forward to going, and catching up with a few friends, and cheering on Lympstone!
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just a reminder . . . . .

I haven't attended this contest for many, many years, so I'm really looking forward to hearing the performances and meeting friends old and new.

Good luck to all competing bands.

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Mr Thorne's going to be at Weston? How exciting!! :biggrin:
  11. TheMusicMan

.. and Di being there isn't...???;)
  12. Di

Di Active Member

I'm quite sure it's not, but John and Rogers reports should be. :)
  13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

:rolleyes: Yes, of course it is...but I saw her at the areas briefly...I haven't seen Roger since the Whits :eek: ...and of course, it'll be exciting to see you too John...I'll try my best not to distract you from all the listening and analysing!!

Only positive commments about Lympstone's one and only 3rd cornet player please! :tongue: ;)

See you tomorrow!
  14. TheMusicMan

Hehe... will do.

Very much looking forward to a great days live coverage of this excellent contest. We will have the expected 'live' reports for all performances posted in their own threads on tMP, together with photographs - on-stage and some backstage. We are also hoping to have several podcasts published during the course of the day. What will actually be on the podcasts will be decided tomorrow but we are hoping to feature interviews with some players, MD's and fans. I'll also try to get the results and draws published for all to follow too.

Do come over and say hi, there will be me, Roger, Di and Chris there. Chris is a friend of mine who is registered with us, and is a Mac expert (is an area in which I very much need advice you see) and him being there will be a huge help.

Looking forward to meeting you all again tomorrow... and good luck to all those taking part... mines a bottle of Becks OK...:)