tMP Regional Prediction Competition 2006

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[imgleft][/imgleft] tMP Regional Prediction Competition 2006

It's prediction time once again, the area qualifiers are getting close, and the tMP Prediction Gizmatron has been fed with all the details of competing bands. All we would like you to do is choose your top 3 in each section. Simple.

For those of you who have not been lucky enough to be inflicted with this before, clicking on the link at the very top of the page will bring you to the Predictions Contest page, where you choose your bands. It's as simple as that.

Well, each section in each area will have 15 points. For every successful prediction, you will score 5 points. Furthermore, if you predict a band in the top 3, but out of position, you score 2 points.

The lucky tMPer with the most points will be delared the winner, and be the object of awe from all other tMPers.

Have fun.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2006
  2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Wow, it's just took me an hour to do all the predictions. (Pot luck most of them :eek: )

What I did notice was the difference in entries in the different areas. Didn't realise it was so varied! It seems you have more chance to reach the finals if you compete in the North of England than you do in L&SC. Good luck to all anyway. :tup
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

well thats my totaly uneducated guesses done for another year
  4. klh

klh New Member

Where are Daventry Brass????
    They are not in the selection box at all
  5. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Amington Returns

Its nice to say that the band I play for (Amington) is making a return after such a devistating result in 2004
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just done mine.... but I think there's some bands in the wrong sections (looking at who got promoted last year) and some bands that aren't there and a couple who shouldn't be there....
  7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:eek: I don't think so!!! After having played (and qualified) from the North East area a few times I don't think its any easier to qualify than anywhere else just because the sections are smaller, especially in the lower sections where all the bands are about the same standard...makes it more difficult if owt else

Also bit of a boo boo on the Northern top section, Tavistock and Chester le Street are the same band. :p
  8. Jughead

Jughead New Member

give your head a shake!!! you cant in all honesty believe that in the north of england its as difficult to qualify for the nationals as it is in Yorkshire against the worlds finest....can you?
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

If you look at the lower section final results over the past few years I think you'll find that the standard must be fairly equal. I should think the regional contests are taken just as seriously and fought equally hard by all regions.

Its easy to think that because most of the big names come from certain regions then that standard must filter down through the lower sections. Well this doesn't seem to be the case according to the results. Also remember that the best players in the country tend to end up in the top bands whether they cut their teeth in that region or not.

National Finals Results :-

2nd Section
    2005 : St Keverne, Derek Greenwood
    2004 : Hathern, D. Newman
    2003 : Hatfield CoalPower, G. O’Connor
    2002 : Hade Edge, S. Wood
    2001 : Ammanford Town, J. Davies

3rd Section
    2005 : Jersey Premier Brass, Tim Pritchard
    2004 : Hoover (Bolton), C. Wormwald
    2003 : Diggle, A. Lawton
    2002 : Silk Brass AstraZeneca, K. Mackintosh
    2001 : Lancashire Life Morecambe, A. Warriner

4th section
    2005 : Valley Brass (Haydock), David Chadwick
    2004 : Potters Bar, S. Groarke
    2003 : Wardle & District Anderson Brass, P. Shaw
    2002 : St. Dennis, B. Minear
    2001 : Shirland Welfare Training, M. Smith
  10. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Some of you seem to be getting all 'hot and bothered' about a comment I made in an earlier post. I think the comment I made has been misunderstood. I was just commenting on the fact that if you are in a section competing against 4 or 5 other bands as in some sections in the North of England, you have more of a chance at reaching the Finals than say the L & SC who have 20+ bands in the same section. I was not at all suggesting that any area has a better standard of band in a section.
  11. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Not sure if it's ,e being a bit useless, but the I can't see the link. It was there in the tMP clean view, but not in tMP blue.
  12. TheMusicMan

Hi Sam

My apologies - I hadn't updated the tMP Blue style yet - at the moment the link to the prediction contest is only available in the tMP Clean and tMP Clean WIDE styles. I will amend the Blue style to include a link there too very soon.
  13. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Blimey - that was quick!

Thanks John :D
  14. TheMusicMan

There you go Sam... link updated in the tMP Blue style too now!! Enjoy ;)
  15. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Bear in mind when you play in such a small section as I do (5 in our section) only the 1st band qualifies for the final. The more bands there is in a section the more qualify, so it's no easier or harder
  16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

hmm I think it's still easier to qualify in a field of 5 than 30 odd like you get in the WofEngland 4th section, even if you do only get 1 qualifying place
  17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Whats even more interesting is that if you add up all the bands for (for example) 2nd Section for Yorkshire, North West and North Of England there are only 26 bands as opposed to the 36 in L&SC and SW!.

This is probably due to the large area covered by the two southern regions (from cornwall to East Anglia!). Personally I think we're about due a new region! how about South, South East and South West? or allow go back to the old split Midlands regions.

If one region on has 5 entries in the second section surely there's something amiss! all the regions should be balanced (Ok I know this isn't always possible) but who decides on the region divides anyway?

(Sorry Mods I'll shut up and get back on topic :oops: ).
  18. Souter

Souter Member

Back to topic

Done my predictions. Pure guesswork.

I used the scientific approach of --- Oh thats an unusual name must place the band high!!!
  19. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Just completed my entry - :clap:

Tried to be scientific but realised there are an awful lot of bands out there that I am completely ignorant of!

Just shows how we all know whos hot and whos not in our own areas and perhaps in the neighbouring area but I am completely at a loss with the lower sections 'up North'.

If I have put the curse on your performance by voting for you, I apologise in advance.

In the meantime vote for us in the West of England (Fourth section) - it would be nice to have a chance of winning something this year!
  20. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

*sob* cant see ****ington on the NW lists ... :(