tMP presents: The World's Favourite Test Pieces 2006 - The Results

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by dyl, May 31, 2006.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks dyl - interesting to see that the support for Journey into Freedom must have been quite widespread to get top slot whilst only joint 5th when it comes to first choices.

2. persins

persins Member

Fantastic job Dyl. I can't argue with the top pieces since most of my favourites come out in the top 20!

The CD is a fantastic idea too. I look forward to listening to it.

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Does that mean you'd purchase a copy Simon?:clap:

4. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Great job again with this survey i acctually have never heard the top piece journey into freedom but will make it my business to listen to it cause i would say its a cracking piece!

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Good to see one of my choices made number 58:clap:

6. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Well pleased with Extreme MAkeover - what a piece!

7. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Too true!

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep - it's great.

I'm just glad I'm on my side of the microphones :D

9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Prague 87 :eek:

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Fantastic work on collating that Dyl! There were too many considerations to choose from for me to pick my favourite 10, but I was very surprised NOT to see Energy (Robert Simpson) listed in the 100!!! :eek:

11. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

How did one of my picks tam o'shanters fair?? :biggrin: lol
    was i the only one to pick it??

12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

This made me think - what was the minimum number of votes needed to appear at the bottom of the list?
    Just out of interest (and feel free not to, you must be fed up with lists by now), do you know how many pieces were chosen without making the list?

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You may have missed this bit, Mike, tucked in the first post:

I don't know about the number of votes, though.

14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

Cheers - one day I will learn to read:oops:

15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Here were mine:

Tristan Encounters - Martin Ellerby (25)
    Tallis Variations - Philip Sparke (17)
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Peter Graham (14)
    Paganni Variations - Philip Wilby (2)
    Music for the Moving Image - Philip Wilby (not-listed, I believe)
    Dances and Arias - Edward Gregson (31)
    Montage - Peter Graham (23)
    Music of the Spheres - Philip Sparke (11)
    Coventry Variations - Bramwell Tovey (39)
    English Heritage - George Lloyd (38)

Being as Wilby seems so popular, I'm quite surprised Music for the Moving Image isn't in there, but then again I don't know how many people have had the chance to actually hear it, let alone play it!

Only one in the top ten though! I must be falling by the wayside when it comes to popular opinion. :)

16. starperformer

starperformer Member

shock new entry - "Labour and Love"?!
    lol

p.s. mods: is the identity of no.21 in the list classified information? or just an oversight perhaps?

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not at all - if you look closer you'll see there's a tie for 20th place. :rolleyes:

18. starperformer

starperformer Member

sorry, my mistake.

interesting survey, by the way. i would say that this poll suffers a bit (as every poll does) from a large number of very recently used pieces sticking in the memory better than others. if this was run every year, i think that certain pieces like "journey into freedom", 'spectrum', "cloudcatcher fells", "moorside suite" etc. would stand the test of time far better than 'eden', "all the flowers of the mountain", "a night to sing", "extreme makeover" etc. which will mostly be items of obscure trivia within 10 years. although some pieces will always be remembered more for the impact they had than for the actual piece, e.g. 'prague'

19. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks.

We certainly don't have any plans to run it every year - this latest one was just over two years since the original survey, and some important and interesting facts have been learned from it. We may well, however, make it a bi-annual event in order to, as you say, judge the impact of newer pieces and whether they do, in fact, stand the test of time like the classics at the top of the pile.

20. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Nope! At least two of us did! :)