tMP playin up?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by drummergurl, Jul 5, 2004.

has tmp worked for you today?

1. yup no problems for meeeeee

2. no accessibility keeps coming and going

1. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok today whist ive been on the internet, there have been numerous occasions where ive clicked to go on a page of tMP and it comes up with an error and then for about 10mins if i try and click on any of tmp it doesnt work. i was wonderin if any1 else was havin this trouble too???
  2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

by the way mods are the polls still supposed to be mods view only?
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

ive had problems today, and yesterday.
    Im also finding it takes ages for pages to load. :cry:
  4. Lisa

Lisa Member

I have been having trouble recently. Seems to be taking long time to load pages. Also keep getting error messages. And it just logged me out even though I didn't want to log out :cry:
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was out from about 5 pm GMT until now (5 am GMT - at least I think that is the time change)
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A couple of times during the day I was told the server could not be accessed. Couldn't say for how long the problem lasted as I used it as an excuse to get some other things done, but it may account for the low number of postings overnight - only 22 waiting for me this morning :shock:
  7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yeah I've had lots of probs too! :cry:
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Yup, been slower than WoodenFlugel on the Person Before thread for me for the last couple of days...
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am very sorry about this everyone.. apparantly the datacentre experienced a hardward failure on the machine that tMP resides and had a nightmare of a time trying to rebuild the entire server.

I am advised that my webhost has a 1 hour SLA (Service Level Agreement) with their datacentre, and thus that tMP then has a 1 hour SLA with them. The datacentre had issues which caused our server (called Zeta) to be offline for several hours. I am advised that I will be compensated for the extended offline time.

Up until now the performance of our webhost and new server has been fine, and I accept that with a relatively new webhost, there is a risk of higher levels of downtime. However, I am content knowing that their customer service is excellent, and that I have direct access to several support people 24/7 - which is something our previous webhost (a much larger company) did not offer. What I was concerned about yesterday was that I didn't receive as much information last night as I would have liked, and thus couldn't pass this on to you via MSN or email. I appreciate that it is very frustrating not knowing what the status of tMP actually is. I am working with the webhost to resolve this.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies about the downtime yesterday.

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

With all due respects (even though I couldn't figure out what to do with myself for 12 hours without tMP - a codependency thing I guess)... I am very greatful for the service that the Musicman provides and know that I could not do a better I will keep any complaints to a minimum.

Thanks again Musicman for this forum :D

P.S. As I write this "The Music Man" is actually on the tele and I can here "Goodnight, my someone goodnight..." in the background (uncanny)
  11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Agreed, besides a bit of downtime never hurt anyone!, just reminds us all of how much we miss the place, I'd live here if I could (ooh, surreal, given that a few days ago I was in the BB house! :? )
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Wot, no redundant failover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

From personal experience I can vouch for how frustrating these things can be. Thankfully at work we now have a minimum of two servers for every single hosting machine, mainly for load balancing and performance. However, it also means that if any one server fails then there is always another one ready to pick up the load, hence no loss of service.
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... one of the drawbacks of a relatively new webhosting company I'm afraid John. They currently have a rack of 9 servers, and are growing rapidly, soon to be offering a dedicated solution. I have discussed the issue of load balancing with them and it is on their radar - which is good.

I made the choice to support a new webhost and totally accept that there will inevitably be a higher risk of downtime involved. I do however, get very good customer service though which is something I didn't get with my previous (and very large) webhost. I have access to them around the clock, and the tech support guys are superb. Can you imagine calling a webhost, asking for them to do a backup, and them saying... "sorry, we can't do that!!" well that's what I got from my last webhost. The new guys re-built tMP when I moved webhost within 20 minutes for me. They did everything and are still extremely helpful in all support requests I pass their way.

Also, the bandwidth and MySQL db limits match the ever growing requirements of tMP, and it means (barring continuing failure or poor performance from the new webhost) that as we grow, I will be able to upgrade and increase my account limits without having to move server or webhost. The figures for MySQL db size on my last webhost were an amazingly small 100MB :shock: when I discoverd this account llimitation tMP was literally at 98MB.... hence the hasty move...

So, from your post I read that you are into hosting yeah??? this so?
  14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'm an IT contractor. One of the companies I work for hosts a large online insurance bureau. I work with the team which administers all of their systems.
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

OI!!!!! I heard that!!!

Cheeky young whippersnappers....just you wait....ought to show some respect

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Anyway, good to see the site back up and running John. Keep up the good work!! :)
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Yup, I've been having a few problems recently:

*Not being able to access the server a couple of times - good, because it means I actually go and do some work :shock:

*Taking longer for pages to load - not so good, but I always tend to blame my computer for problems relating to speed! :D

No worries though! :D :D