tMP Piece of the Week #2: Dances and Alleluias, Philip Sparke

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 1, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[imgleft]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/tmp_news_icon.gif[/imgleft]'tMP Piece of the Week' feature:

Dances and Alleluias - Philip Sparke

Dances and Alleluias was commissioned by the British Federation of Brass Bands for the inaugural English National Brass Band Championships, which is being held today, July 1st 2006, in the Lyric Theatre at The Lowry, Salford Quays,

For this new contest, the British Federation of Brass Bands made the decision to commission a new work from the pen of Philip Sparke.

Philip Sparke was born in London and studied composition, trumpet and piano at the Royal College of Music, where he gained an ARCM. It was at the College that his interest in bands arose. He played in the College wind orchestra and also formed a brass band among the students, writing several works for both ensembles. At that time, his first published works appeared - Concert Prelude (brass band) and Gaudium (wind band). A growing interest in his music led to several commissions, his first major one being for the Centennial Brass Band Championships in New Zealand – The Land of the Long White Cloud.

Further commissions followed from individual bands, various band associations and the BBC, for whom he three times won the EBU New Music for Band Competition (with Slipstream, Skyrider and Orient Express). He has written for brass band championships in New Zealand, Switzerland, Holland, Australia and the UK, twice for the National Finals at the Albert Hall, as well as the European Championships held in Birmingham in 2000 (Tallis Variations) and his test pieces are constantly in use wherever brass bands can be found.

A close association with banding in Japan led to a commission (Celebration) from and eventual recording of his music with the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra. This opened the door worldwide to his wind band music and led to several commissions, particularly from the United States. In 1996 the US Air Force Band commissioned and recorded Dance Movements, which won the prestigious Sudler Prize in 1997. In 2005 Music of the Spheres won the National Band Association/William D. Revelli Memorial Band Composition Contest. His conducting and adjudicating activities have taken him to most European countries, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the USA. He runs his own publishing company, Anglo Music Press, which he formed in May 2000. In September 2000 he was awarded the Iles Medal of the Worshipful Company of Musicians for his services to brass bands.

The success of his work has enabled Philip to set up his own publishing company - Anglo Music Press in which he continues to extend his music catalogue with a fine array of music.

http://www.philipsparke.com/

His last major work ‘Music of the Spheres’ was a captivating composition which found much acclaim amongst the competing bands when it appeared at the European Championships last year, and has quickly become a ‘showpiece’ within the brass band repertoire. With his latest composition Phlip has decided to tread a different path and in a recent interview for theMouthPiece.com explained his thoughts on the music to John Burns.

[​IMG]
    . . . . My chief concern when writing Dances and Alleluias was that I knew I couldn’t continue the line of thought that had led to Music of the Spheres, a piece which had taken me about as far as I currently could (or wanted to) go in terms of scale and virtuosity. In addition, I wanted to write ‘absolute’ music rather than a programmatic piece but keep the same emotional journey which is for me the most important aspect of Spheres.

My first idea for the new piece was a final ‘alleluia’ - I didn’t imagine any specific religious connection but wanted the slow music to be vocal in nature and ecstatic in mood, as that word implies. It was then logical to intersperse the slow music with faster dances.

The work opens with a very quiet unison passage, leading to the first alleluia, which is intoned by horns and trombones. It’s not clear here whether the music is fast or slow and this ambiguity continues until the first dance is reached at bar 51. This reaches a climax but is interrupted by a euphonium cadenza which leads to the second alleluia, sung first by trombone and then euphonium and soprano cornet. This again reaches an emotional peak which dissolves into a second dance, in the form of a nimble and delicate scherzo. Despite a turbulent central section the scherzo ends quietly before a baritone introduces a chorale-like episode for the lower half of the band. A solo cornet then begins the final alleluia section which builds to a passionate close.

"It will be as much a test of delicacy as brawn" -​
    Philip Sparke
    I’m sure those present at today’s competition will have plenty to say about the test piece, and we look forward to hearing your views and comments over the next few days.

2. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Amazing- easily as good as Spheres and when played by a good band it was a Stonker of a piece!!!!!

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Seconded. :clap: :tup
    Quality.
    Nice one Mr S.

4. Tack7

Tack7 Member

Agreed, this piece shows the other composers that you dont have to be less musical when being a test for the bands. This is a winning piece with bands & audiences which must be good for "real band people" aswell as none reguler band listeners. Bravo!

5. Di

Di Active Member

I sat and listened to 9 out of the 14 performances (thats the most I've sat through in a contest for some time) and that was after sitting and listening to as many rehearsals as possible over the last couple of weeks too. I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you Philip. :clap:

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Cracking piece love it! Managed to even get a blow one rehersal on it! Absolutely loved it! great piece of music!

7. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Does there exsists a reording of the piece ???? I would very much like to hear it.. . :)

8. jonford

jonford Member

Someone correct me if Im wrong but as far as I know there is no recording available yet although I imagine it will be on the DVD from the English Nationals which should be ready later in the year.

9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Every band received a recording of their performance at the end of the contest! Also ISB done a demo of the piece that was sent to each band!
    Chris

10. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not that I'm aware of. It was just for the adjudicators.

Igg

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Music of the Spheres
    Philip Sparke.
    National Brass Band Championships
    Anglo Music Press
    Dances
  12. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Same here, if we did receive one then I didn't hear about it and it wasn't used.

13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

The ISB did record it, but I believe that it was only for Philip/the adjudicators' use. I'm sure he will be able to correct me on this!

14. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, I'm sure that's right. It was just for the adjudicators (so far as I know!).

15. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

And so B&H etc could learn the piece to get it right on the night!

16. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Lol, Brian Hillson Sound!

18. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Ahhhhh.... makes sense now you say it lol........ I was too bust thinking why Boosey and Hawkes would be involved :S..... and presuming that timeline sorted all that........
    Now we solved that......

*Topic*