tMP looking for a band to help us out... can your band help...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Fancy a chance to get your band heard by tMPers all over the world?

If the answer's 'Yes' then read on! ;)

As you are aware, tMP has been running a composer's competition to compose a 'signature' tMP March. This response to this competition was superb, and all entries are currently being prepared for submission to our judge, Philip Sparke, who will shortly decide on his shortlist of 3.

Once Philip has decided on the final 3 we want you, tMPers, to decide on the winner. This will be done by way of an anonymous vote on the site i.e. voters will not know who the composers are of the final three marches.

"But how will we get to hear the 3 finalists?" you ask!

Well, here is where your band comes in! If you're a band, 2nd section or above, based around any of the following areas - South Wales, West Country, Swindon/Oxford, Birmingham - are willing to give a few hours free and would be available in around a month's time at a suitable venue (a church or similar, that we could organise between ourselves) - please get in touch with me via PM. The band in question will be required to record the 3 chosen finalists for public broadcast on tMP.

This is an excellent opportunity for your band to be heard worldwide and to also perform the 'World Premiere' of the tMP Signature march - 'theMouthPiece'.

So to register your interest please PM me straight away! Alternatively, if you have any questions, feel free to post them on here or via PM if you prefer.

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does it have to be ONE specific band or can we throw together a tMP band for this occasion? Wouldn't it be nice to have the tMP band premiere the tMP march?

(we could still take suggestions for a band willing to host the recording in their band room?)
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

A slight problem might be that then lots of people would know whose marches they were that had been recorded - or am I being usually thick?

OK I'm being thick - Roger has been merrily removing names...

Pointy hat anyone?:roll: :oops:
  4. TheMusicMan

I can confirm that whchever band it is that performs the recording for us of the three march composition finalists - they will not knowwho the composers are of any of the marches they play...:):)

hehehehehe... wicked eh!...;)

Pat - as for a tMP band. Whilst I agree that this would be a great thing to do, there are a zillion and one things to sort and organise to be able to put together such a band (ask Roger or Sparkly). Given the time constraints - both in terms of time to the event, and actual rehearsal time on the day, in this instance I would much rather use a band who already know each other well enough for us to be able to reduce the rehearsal time whilst maintaining a high standard of performance etc...

I must add here though that it is only for a recording for tMP that I am going to do... it won't necessarily be CD quality. Hopefully, that will come later...;)
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Do you think you could eventually get a CD quality recording of the official tMP march on the new tMP/World of Brass CD?
  6. TheMusicMan

I have discussed this Pat and to be honest I would love for this to be possible. So, with this in mind, here's another request tagged onto the original in this thread.

If any band is making a recording sometime in November, would they be willing to let tMP have 10 minutes of that studio time to record the three marches selected by Philip Sparke in the final of the tMP March Composition Competition? This way we very well be able to get the winning march to appear on the tMP/WoB compilation CD - which would be brilliant.

I would urge bands who may have studio recording time scheduled to please consider this request and help tMP. You would have the unique opportunity to be heard on tMP's 1st Bandsmans Choice CD, together with playing the tMP'ers Bandsmans Choice of the winning march to boot!

Please can you get in touch with me if you think this may be possible with your band. Many thanks.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Only just read this. I take it all the arrangements are sorted out now?
  8. TheMusicMan

Not yet Dave.... ;)
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

are you still looking for a band to record the march, or why is this thread still a sticky? ;) :p