tMP Linux Users

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by MrsDoyle, Dec 1, 2009.

1. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Win7 64-bit on the main PC, Win7 32-bit on the wife's dell lappy, UNR 10.04 on my netbook. I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that I've fitted with a disk caddy and I have 6 or 7 IDE drives of various sizes with different Linux distros on (Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, PC-Linux and a couple of others I can't remember). I tend to use this PC as a test bed - for instance I recently took an image of our band website and installed it on the Linux PC so that I could try out an upgrade to the content management system without risking taking the real site down. I could do this using virtual machines on the Win7 box but I prefer to make use of the old PC rather than dispose of it.

One of my Linux OS's is also "hardened" as much as I can and I use that for personal banking. Having a system that is only fired up occasionally and for one purpose reduces the risk of picking up something like a keylogger or rootkit (even assuming such things exist for Linux).

Andy

2. rileyelf

rileyelf New Member

Mandriva on my main machine and Puppy on the Netbook... I am forced to endure Windows at work ;-)

3. worzel

worzel Member

Update: now I use a mac at home. Way cool.

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just ditched Windows 8 completely. I am a free man!
    Linux Mint 17 from now on, but I've got to get my head round Musescore very quickly.