tMP Linux Users

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by MrsDoyle, Dec 1, 2009.

1. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Win7 64-bit on the main PC, Win7 32-bit on the wife's dell lappy, UNR 10.04 on my netbook. I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that I've fitted with a disk caddy and I have 6 or 7 IDE drives of various sizes with different Linux distros on (Mandriva, CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, PC-Linux and a couple of others I can't remember). I tend to use this PC as a test bed - for instance I recently took an image of our band website and installed it on the Linux PC so that I could try out an upgrade to the content management system without risking taking the real site down. I could do this using virtual machines on the Win7 box but I prefer to make use of the old PC rather than dispose of it.

One of my Linux OS's is also "hardened" as much as I can and I use that for personal banking. Having a system that is only fired up occasionally and for one purpose reduces the risk of picking up something like a keylogger or rootkit (even assuming such things exist for Linux).

Andy

2. rileyelf

rileyelf New Member

Mandriva on my main machine and Puppy on the Netbook... I am forced to endure Windows at work ;-)

3. worzel

worzel Member

Update: now I use a mac at home. Way cool.

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just ditched Windows 8 completely. I am a free man!
    Linux Mint 17 from now on, but I've got to get my head round Musescore very quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice