TMP headlines for your band web site

Discussion in 'tMP Computer Corner' started by steve_r, Apr 12, 2006.

1. steve_r

steve_r Member

Thanks Paul!

While I was talking to Paul about this we discussed the idea of a "free fitting service" to increase the take up for these headlines panels.

If you run a site, would like the tmp news panel but are not sure about how to fit it, post a request here and I (or another volunteer :biggrin: ) will arrange to edit a copy of your page and send it back to you all fitted out with the panel of your choice.

There are 2 flavours:-

flash (see http://www.yeoviltownband.co.uk/links.htm for an example)
    Javascript (see http://www.polysteelband.co.uk/newpolysteel/links.shtml for an example)

Flash resources are here http://www.hathernband.co.uk/html/tmpbanners.shtml

Javascript resources are here http://www.themouthpiece.com/mumsie/tmpjspanel/demo.html

When I can find some time I will try to merge all the resources onto the TMP server.

Thanks go to Hathern for retaining the panels on their site now that I am no longer the webmaster

Cheers

Steve

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

4. steve_r

steve_r Member

:tup Thanks!

keep em comin'

Steve

5. alks

alks Member

Ive added the java one to the marshfield website on the Contact page at the bottom. www.marshfieldband.co.uk

Ive changed the Javascript file so that a rounded circle is added before each news item. I added an extra cell to the table and merged the <th> cells at the top. Then changed the css file to add the new class to it. It makes each news item easier to read i think. So far it works fine.

Hope that ok? if not let me know and ill take it off.

alks

6. steve_r

steve_r Member

OK by me

Steve

7. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Steve,

I've just re-done our website and kind of at a loss where would be the best place to re-install the headlines. If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions I'm open to them. Screen-space is the main problem I have at the moment.

(link is in sig)

Cheers
    Andy

8. steve_r

steve_r Member

Joomla eh? how did you get on with it?

I'm dabbling in Drupal which I dont like much and cmsmadesimple which I dont much like either (can you see a trend?)

I was put off Drupal by the difficulty in restyling it or adding your own javascript etc, while cmsmadesimple gives you control of all the styles and templates (it uses Smarty, the same technology I used for the prediction compo) but if you are going to be doing your own styles anyway it doesnt seem to bring much to the party except that customers can add their own content which I spose is the aim.

Another whinge is that I like to code in Eclipse and all these cms systems are database-based so you have to use their crappy slow interfaces.

Anyway, rant off and back to the plot - how about popping it on the links page?

Steve

9. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Quite well, although it's taken me a month to get to grips with, and I cut code for a living :confused: (I use Eclipse on a daily basis but for C/C++ rather than HTML). Still having group permission issues with Joomla, as I want to give the committee more permissions than ordinary members etc. I tried Drupal and a whole load of other CMS apps and kept coming back to Joomla. It certainly has more extensions (plug-ins) than anything else I've found.

I don't think I have any speed issues, my provider appears to be quite speedy, and actually supports Joomla; I had a PHP issue to begin with which they knew all about and fixed *very* quickly so kudos to them for that (http://www.webhosting.uk.com/index.php).

By 'links page', if you mean tMP then I think I did that yonks ago. If not, then I will soon :)

No suggestions for where I could fit in the tMP banners then?

Andy

10. steve_r

steve_r Member

Sorry I was confusing...

I meant can you put the tMP links box on your sites links pages ?

Steve

11. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Oh right, I understand now :oops:

Yes, that might work (disappears to try it out)

Thanks!

Andy

12. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Following on from Steve_r's excellent work with the flash and javascript modules I'd like to announce the latest additions to the stable.

I've written a pair of Joomla! modules, one for tMP headlines and one for 4BarsRest headlines. In both cases I've preserved the original code, adding only presentational changes and parameterisation necessary to make these into stand-alone Joomla modules. I'm happy to make these available to anyone who would like to use them provided people respect the original copyrights.

I've also taken the liberty of putting together a single page with links to all three banner headline variants.

The page, and the Joomla! modules are hosted on Woodbridge Excelsior Band's website here:

http://woodbridgeexcelsiorband.org/fortMP/tmpHeadlines.html

Hope this is a useful addition for the webmasters amongst us!

Andy

13. steve_r

steve_r Member

Andy

Sorry - I got totally sidetracked by something else this week.

Thanks for bringing this lot together, it will make things a lot clearer for people, and thanks for the Joomla! addition to the stable.

Anyone got any requests for any other widgets/gizmos ?

Cheers

Steve

14. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

tmp XML feed broken?

Our tmp News panels aren't working at the moment, the javascript versions
    are displaying the message: "Sorry, could not connect to server" and the Flash
    versions are complaining about the XML feed.

Could one of the mods please investigate? If it's a traffic load issue please let
    us know what we can do to help....

Andy

15. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Andy. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm afraid it's all double dutch to me, but I will flag it up for Steve. :tup

16. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Thanks Di - I sent Steve a PM earlier, so I guess he's been busy. If not, he soon will be ;)

Andy

17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yeah, ours is doing the same!

18. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

's OK now, they're back!

Andy

19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sorry folks... Steve has fixed it... :tup

20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I thought it would be nice to add those to our site. But I only speak English, so gave up the idea.