tMP Geography - where are you all from?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Paddy Flower, Apr 8, 2010.

?

Which is your home region

1. London & Southern Counties

30 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. Midlands

19 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. North of England

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. North-West

28 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. Scotland

13 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Wales

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. West of England

18 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. Yorkshire

20 vote(s)
    12.0%
  9. Other (international)

18 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Paddy's first thread in The Rehearsal Room and I have a question.

Recently I have launched a fantasy brass band league (for details see my signature). As part of being in the league new members nominate a regional qualifyer (one of the eight) and I have noticed a heavy bias toward North-West and London&SC regions. I suppose this must reflect where tMP is most popular or known about. Can anyone confirm this or the reasons why some other regions seem to be under-represented here.

Maybe it's just that the Scottish, Welsh, Western or Northern banders don't see the appeal of my league (i've not ruled that one out!)

Ive had 40 members enter so far, here's the breakdown of their nominated regions

North-West - 14
    L&SC - 11
    Mids - 4
    Yorkshire - 3
    North - 2
    Scotland - 2
    Wales - 2
    West - 2

I suppose what I am asking is, 'Is this a general thing across tMP?'

Maybe one of the Mods could supply some numbers

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    London&SC
    The Rehearsal Room
    North-West
    tMP
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Don't think we can suppy any figures like that, but we could add a poll to this thread?

4. Paddy Flower

I was thinking of putting a poll on. 'Which region are you from?' (8 selections or 9 with 'non-UK' as an option) but would that answer my question ???

What i'm really asking is this...
    Is there a large representation on tMP for those 2 regions and a proportionately smaller one for the other 6?
    and if so...
    Has anyone got any idea why this is?

The desire to express opinions (strong or otherwise) can't just be a Lancastrian or Londoner trait, it's surely nationwide. So if there is a smaller number of people on here from Yorkshire or the west country, why?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well I've voted. Currently 100% of tMPers are from the Midlands ;)

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Faggot and peas all round then!

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You have to live in the Black Country to get your proper Faggots & Peas;)

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Now there's an idea Ian - have you ever made a Faggot & Pea Sausage?

:biggrin:

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I thought the Black Country was the midlands?

Not so many faggots and peas around here I'm afraid - but there is plenty of Stilton cheese, pork pies and Walkers crisps...;)

10. If someone is willing to stump up 99p, they could create a tMP map at pininthemap.com where we could all mark our locations

11. Bass Trumpet

I'm a musician, I'm not made of money you know!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    London&SC
    The Rehearsal Room
    North-West
    tMP
  13. Beesa

Beesa Member

Looking at the results, I reckon maybe lots of people in Scotland and Wales and the North of England don't have computers yet. I know in Scotland they were quite late in using knives and forks and it took them a while to start drinking proper beer. Reading and writing too for those regions although admittedly some of the bands are quite good so maybe it doesn't matter if they don't know how to go on the computer.

14. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I'm from Scotland, but I live in Ireland ;).

I like the idea of your fantasy league, however I'm really out of touch with the banding scene in the UK and don't have time right now to catch up enough to have a go. Good luck with it!

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm from Glasgow but live in Huddersfield (which technically makes me the tightest person on the planet).

I voted Yorkshire (but should I have voted at all if I haven't entered the fantasy band thingy?)

16. TaraL

TaraL New Member

And I'm from Ireland but living and playing in London now!

Your name sounds really familiar did you ever sit in on some practices with dungarvan brass band in Waterford?

17. Paddy Flower

The voting is open to everyone (as is the league - and we could do with a few more more players from Yorkshire OR Scotland :) )

i'm just trying to establish if tMP is more used and better known in certain areas of the country, why it is less used in others and (maybe) a few good suggestion on how to redress that inbalance (other than costly advertising)

18. Paddy Flower

Thanks for all your votes so far, seems to be a good number of people in Mids too

19. Bass Trumpet

Very interesting so far. According to many of the brass band glitterati, banding doesn't exist south of the Midlands, but the L&SC is currently the best represented in this poll.

Or perhaps we have more time on our hands to spend on tMP instead of working down t'pit, doing an honest days' graft or walking t'whippet..... :biggrin:

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Reckon tha might be reet wi that si thi. ;)

21. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

You gotta be more subtle if you wanna few bites....:)

22. Paddy Flower

143 votes cast at the mo, thanks for those (and comments)

It does seem to suggest those regions (London & NW certainly) have a large representation here on tMP. All I can say to those from Scotland, Wales & North is tell ya friends about tMP..

and the league of course ;)