tMP Exclusive Interview with Paul Keogh - Webmaster – Denton Brass

Discussion in 'WOM Interviews' started by Di, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

tMP Exclusive Interview with Paul Keogh
    Webmaster – Denton Brass

By way of an introduction, could you please tell us a little about yourself
    I am 59 years young, married have two children aged 33 and 22. Having returned to the UK in 1982 with little prospect of getting work in my field (engineering) I became a self employed Driving Instructor.

Are you actively involved in playing a brass instrument with any band, or do you simply undertake the web design on behalf of a band?
    I do not now and never have played a musical instrument, when absolutely desperate the band will allow me to take the big drum on the march, however they have to be really desperate. I am Chairman of the band and Webmaster.

How long have you been involved in web design, and how did you first get involved in it?
    I have been doing the site since 2002 when I did the band's first ever web site. I was just sat at the computer one day and started messing about on front page, when another band member called and saw what I was doing, then low and behold Denton Brass had a web site.

Do you manage/run any other web sites, if so, which ones?
    I also run a web site for my own business

What applications did you use to build your site and why did you choose these?
    Initially I started using front page. I am entirely self taught so it needs to be simple. I was then using Serif applications for band newsletters etc and found their applications extremely easy to use, so started using "serif web plus x2" because it is the easiest application I have found .

Please can you explain for us how you prepared and planned for the development of the site when asked to implement this for Denton Brass?
    The first site was not planned at all, it just happened. Now the committee tell me what they would like and I play around with the ideas on the laptop whilst sat at the back of rehearsals, due to this I now get many ideas and suggestions from other members of the band.

What content do you feel should be included on a brass band www site?
    The basics should include a brief history of the band, a contact page, details of any forthcoming events and vacancies within the band.

Do you use innovative ideas on your www site?
    Only accidentally.

Why should people visit the Denton Brass www site?
    It is a very informative site with plenty of news and photographs.

What do you feel is important when designing and implementing www sites…? Keep the site simple and easy to navigate.

How long did this site actually take you to build?
    Approximately three evenings at band.

How do you manage the content on your web site and do you have a publishing policy?
    The site is updated whenever there is anything to report, using the package I use it is very easy to update individual pages, we do not have a publishing policy as such.

What would you recommend as the best way to start to learn about designing and building www sites?
    I found the best way for me was just to sit and play, other people may find other ways such as taking courses etc.

Do you have a favourite technical reference book for budding web designers?

How do you see the influence of the internet assisting the banding movement over the next 5 to 10 years?
    I believe that the internet will influence all aspects of our lives over the next few years. Our web site has brought us many new players over the last six years and I feel that the band would suffer greatly if the site ceased to exist, our web site also has it's own forum for members only and the younger members especially tend to keep in touch through that.

In most visited order, what are your 5 most frequently used www sites?
    Denton Brass
    Driving Instructors Democratic Dnion (DIDU)
    4 Bars rest
    Digital banking