tMP Clock again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Just like to know if anyone else has noticed this, but i've been noticing recently that when a post comes up for the first "Refresh" since it was posted, say if a post was posted at 22:58, it would come up on my screen as 21:58. but when you refresh it again, it comes up as the right time.

Has anyone else seen this or is it just me? :confused:

2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Yeah especially when I make a post at around 830 in the morning and it says 530am. I'm not that keen in getting to work that early!!

3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The mod team has noticed this also. John's been trying various things to correct it. There are a lot of places where the time can go wrong: there's the system time on the server running the forum, there's an overall time option for the vBulletin software, there's the individual time option by user and then there's the effect of your operating system's local settings.

<personal opinion>

I'm actually in favor of doing away with time zones completely (not just for tMP, but for everything), and especially with "daylight savings time" schemes. With the immense expansion of the Internet and also the expansion of international and global business, having local time rules just doesn't make sense to me any more. It's almost the same situation as the advent of standard time in the mid-1800s, which was driven primarily by the need for railroad companies to all use the same time in order to avoid collisions, but on a global scale.

</personal opinion>

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Personally I never noticed any problems with the time.

Have you checked your user options? go to Quick Links; Edit Options; "date and time options"

The settings I use are Time zone "GMT+1" (I guess for you that should be GMT) and "Automatically detect DST settings"

5. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I am glad that someone else noticed the the clock, I thought it was only me, I believe it must be nearly two years when I first mentioned the time being wrong after posting. There I have mentioned the clock again and I said I would not. LOL

John

6. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

At least it's not a critical issue - I manage some systems hosted in the US where some parts of the environment are showing Pacific and others my local timezone (GMT+1) - this creates havoc when trying to set up timed events!
    I have to admit to not looking at the clock on here apart from the one in my system tray.

7. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I notice the time because I always "log out" at the bottom of the Forums page, then I can finish my session without having to receive a error message and click on another item to finally leave the site.:tup