tMP Band - Whit Friday 2008 - Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi Folks,

Feel free to post any questions/discussions relating to the tMP Bands appearance in the Whit Friday March Contest on 16th May, 2008.

If you wish to take part please register your interest on the following thread:

;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    tMP Band
    banner
    tMP Band - Whit Friday
    small set of cymbals
  3. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Does anyone know the standard that has to be played to be able to enter?
    Obviously because its a contest there has to be some sort of standard?
    Argghh... i don't know whether to do it or not or just come and watch!:(

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

D'oh! Can't come this year....I fly to Florida at 10.30 the next morning.

Have fun everyone!

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

you must be verticle after ??teen pints !

:D

6. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: ...thats me in then!

7. Roger Thorne

Hi Emma,

The tMP Band is a 'scratch' band and is formed with different players from all the five sections. In the past, the diversity of players has worked well, and we've always managed to put on a good sounding band. We've even had one or two decent results!

If you haven't experienced the Whit Friday Band Contest, I would definitely recommend it, as it is a fantastic experience you'll remember for a very long time.

Here's a link which explains the event in more detail:

http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/intro.html

;)

8. Roger Thorne

A bit more information:

Rehearsal will be at the Swallow Bower Hotel, Chadderton at 2.00 p.m.

Coach leaves Hotel at 3.45 p.m.

Coach returns to Hotel for midnight.

;)

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Just do it. I've not played at the Whits with the tMP band but I've played with them at Easingwold a couple of times and it's a brilliant experience. If my band wasn't doing the Whits themselves I'd be out with the tMP band. ;)

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Is there some scholarship money for a nice Yankee with a great brass band station? :wink: :tup :cool: :clap:

I can play baritone, euph, bone, or Eb tuba. I can play BBb tuba but after my illness, my lungs are not a full capacity yet (and may never get there!) so I would have to pass on BBb tuba. I'll bring some free cool goodies with me for everyone! :wink:

Dr. Jim

11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Rather than book online I rang the hotel on the direct number of 0161 6827254. By doing this we got a double room for £55 as opposed to the £60 shown on the website.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    tMP Band
    banner
    tMP Band - Whit Friday
    small set of cymbals
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I will be booking a twin room. If anyone wants to share, then PM me please. Costs will be 50% of however much I pay for it. Will see if I can wangle a few quid off like Michelle has done!

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I can afford the room. Need a nice RICH sponsor to pay for the airfare :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Someday. My goal someday is to come to Whit Friday, or even to finals at Royal Albert Hall. Someday .....

I'll keep practicing. Maybe someone would like a dep.

Dr. Jim

15. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

tmp band Whit Friday 2008

Hello!!! you need to to talk to Roger:biggrin: :biggrin: , I would go and show everybody how loud you can play your NEW horn,, you will have a great day with a fine bunch of musicians, Remember your night vision glasses

16. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Yeah i do want to come its just my mum aint to keen on missin school(typical)!!
    I could just say its an 'educational' trip!:biggrin:
    And dave i thought it was just sops who showed off how loud they played?!;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  17. Al

Al Member

having never been, is there plenty of light? Do any bands play without music? after rehearsing and playing the same piece a few times on the night I thought perhaps not.

A few other questions:

I take it that to play as many locations as possible the idea is to have good timing so that there is not too much hanging around.

1. How long is the average queue to play?

2. What do you do whilst waiting?

3. Do some bands sound better or worse as the evening goes on?

4. How do the pubs manage to serve 20-30 pints per order?

5. Is it best to have runners in front to organise the administration of signing on. etc?

6. How many bands march as opposed to just playing a march?

7. What are the problems on the march such as cobble streets or narrow roads?

That's a few questions for starters!

Al

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  18. 2nd man down

A few answers for you. ;)

19. Al

Al Member

Thanks, I appreciate the answers. I'll have to go this year and find out first hand!

What about is there plenty of light? Do you need a lamp (a la Christmas Carols)?

20. Di B

Di B Member

Most venues that go on late do have some lighting. I have always managed, although when you are playing a march so often you don't really need to see your part!
    I remember once the bass section having some problems and one of the stadiums - but usually it's seen as just as part of the whits and you make do.

It is certainly an experience and good to be able to say 'been there done that' but depending on the band you go with it can be exhausting trying to get around as many venues as possible.
    That said, beer helps :-D

21. 2nd man down

We ended up at Lydgate last year, by that time of night it was getting a bit tricky to see, but it wasn't that bad. They're all generally pretty well lit.

22. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I am a parent of 16 year old euph player and I let him have a Friday off from school for a music program. I did just as you said, I called it "educational". It was for him, very educational.

But you cannot have that happen too often or your marks (grades) will suffer.

Too bad .. from your picture you look like a nice lady. Oh well, maybe next year.

Jim