tMP Band - Whit Friday 2005 - Questions and Discussions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi Folks,

Feel free to post any questions/discussions relating to the tMP Bands apprearance in the Whit Friday March Contest on 20th May, 2005.

2. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Just a wee suggestion that we choose the Golden Tulip as a handy base for all those travelling into the Manchester area unless someone knows of somewhere better that might just have an open bar when we return! :D
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

How much will the costs for the coach be roughly?

or is this dependant on numbers?

We charged £10 per head last year to cover the cost of the coach, so we will be charging the same again this year. It will be dependant on numbers but realistically I can't see it costing more than that. (RT)
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Is the tMP band just for bandless people, or can we play in another band as well? Would that clash? I am clueless, as I have only ever watched the contest before.

Ideally we would like you to commit solely to the tMP band for the evening. If your own band is on the 'circuit' it is highly unlikely - due to the nature of the event - that our paths would meet when required. So if your band isn't taking part in this event and you would like to join the tMP band for the evening please sign up here: (RT)
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Good luck guys, I unfortuantely shall be unavailable on the 20th. It was a good laugh last year, but I think there should be more beer this time round.
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Somebody could have reminded me that Whit friday was on a friday!
    Might have to be a little 'il'l on that friday afternoon if I've got lectures.
  7. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I am not available for the Whit Friday marches this year and will miss the whole event as I will be somewhere else!!!

Anyone who is thinking about signing up and are having a moments pause about the idea - don't think about it and get yourself signed up. It really is a grand day out and a wonderful atmosphere. I have played with the tMP band the last two years and really enjoyed it.

One suggestion and it has been mentioned above to look at a hotel slightly closer to the villages within reach from Manchester (for bus / train users) and locate a hotel that has a bar that will stay open all night!!!!

It was one of the most sobering evenings I could remember for a long while drinking hot chocolate and coffee!!! (Fortunately I had a tiny stash of beer in the car!)
  8. Lisa

Lisa Member

what happens if way too many people sign up?
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

a rota system shall be worked out for any over subscribed section :tup
  10. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Why not have a go at forming more than one band in that case.
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I haven't found out what the uni band are doing yet, but I'll probably be playing for them this year, so there'll be no screaming fans for the gorgeous front line this year it seems... hope it goes well!
  12. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

yeah, I'm not sure what my band are doing this year, we'll just have to wait and see, but if I'm not playing with them (and nobody else offers to pay me! {unlikely}) I'll most likely be playing with you guys!
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Can we persuade/Bribe/DO ANYTHING to have the bar open when we get back!?!?!?

hehe - I'm already looking for hotels which can accommodate a full rehearsal before hand and which will have a bar open on our return. There's no way we'll be drinking tea and coffee this year!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  15. Di

Di Active Member

Is there a triangle part in the march? No I'm not kiddin. If we do sign up, I'd like to try and get the whole family involved and I can't realistically seeing Adam carrying a bass drum and i've seen what a snare drum has done to a little lads leg after marching all day. So, really, small clash cymbals or triangle part?

I'm sure we can accommodate additional percussion parts as not to leave anyone out.
    We will also have the MouthPiece Banner that will need to be carried - its not heavy - honest. We will also need volunteers to help organise the various aspects of the evening, so there would be something for everyone to do whether they are playing or not.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

A few years ago with a scratch band (Wuss brass) we stayed at the Pennine Way Hotel in Oldham. They let us rehearse on the roof in the morning and the bar was open until the early hours of the morning.

Thanks Bryan. I hadn't seen this one but was considering a hotel in the Oldham area. Have had a quick look at the details and it seems quite reasonable.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Ooops... modded for not paying attention in sister-thread. Sorry!

Further question: if we happen to meet up with BOC Brass (as we did on a number of occasions last year), would there be any chance of a quick dep. Have always wanted to play "Is this the way to Armadillo".
    If no then we'll just heckle like we did last year...
  18. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Not until January 2006 or did your mum put that on. Karis's mum and her partner have volunteered to push Stans wheelchair so he can now play on the march.
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Michelle.... that tMP 1 Year birthday cake was absolutely gorgeous... did you know that at the Whits marches this year tMP will be exactly 2.5 years old...:wink::wink::wink:
  20. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

So do you want another cake by any chance?